Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 06:26 AM

11 posts, read 86,575 times

Advertisements

I will be moving and working in Reston, Virginia in mid august and would like to know about the recreation in the area. Is there a zoo, amusement park or aquarium close by? Anything that would entertain a 13 year old boy who isnt happy about the move. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 11:54 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,093 times
Fairfax County has so many beautiful parks and activities. I'm sure you'll find something your son will enjoy near Reston:

Fairfax County Park Authority

These are in the greater DC area:
1) The National Zoo
2) Smithsonian Museums (Air & Space Museum and Natural History in particular)
3) Bureau of Engraving and Printing (my teen nieces and nephews really enjoyed it)
4) Wolf Trap (if you find a performance he may like)
5) Six Flags America

Of course, you can also plan a tour of the White House, U.S. Capitol, Washington Monument, etc.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:42 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
In addition to the above, the National Aquarium in Baltimore is terrific. Only an hour away. There are other sites in the Inner Harbor area as well. Tour the USS Constellation (sailing ship) or the USS Torsk (WWII submarine). Check out the 3D-IMAX theater at the Maryland Science Center. Wander around the yummies in Lexington Market. Take a water-taxi across the harbor to Fells Point for dinner. A day trip that's a full day and then some.

Closer to home and appropriate for August is Lake Fairfax Park. The Water Mine there is a fine way to cool off.

And you could always take in a Nats' game at RFK Stadium. The new ballpark opens next Spring, so not too many chances left to do the 'old school' thing.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:28 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
I'll second all of the above. Plus there are plenty of youth sports. Most of the fall sports have started registration, so if there's one he wants to play, you may want to check into it now and find out when deadlines or tryouts are.

Most neighborhoods have community pools. In some neighborhoods the cost is included in your homeowner dues, in others you pay to join. In that case it's probably not worth it for the last couple weeks of summer but at least it will be there for next year. If your neighborhood doesn't have its own pool you can usually join one nearby.

His school will probably have some extracurricular activities he could join. Many churches (or synagogues, etc.) have youth groups.

I sympathize, I have a son that age and it would be hard for him, just as it was hard for me to move at age 14. But he's coming to an area with lots to do and these days it's much easier to stay in touch with old friends during the transition than it was when all we had was snail mail and long-distance that charged by the minute. Good luck to you.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:12 PM

699 posts, read 2,237,051 times
There are also numerous Community centers dotted around Reston that can provide activities for both children and adults while also having racquet ball courts and indoor swimming pools. There are bike paths zig-zagging across the area, with community outdoor swimming pools, tennis courts as well as golf courses if he enjoys that.

Like others said, there is much to do in the Greater Washington area, and in the city itself. The museums are free to the public as is the National Zoo, Six Flags is close by in Maryland, and Kings Dominion (which I prefer over Six Flags) is a two hour drive away (with no traffic) near Richmond.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:14 PM

699 posts, read 2,237,051 times
There is also a petting zoo in Reston if that might interest him.

Reston Zoo: A wild animal park in the heart of Fairfax County

Old 07-20-2007, 07:54 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
There is also a petting zoo in Reston if that might interest him.
Yep. I could have retired a couple years earlier if I had back all the money my kids used up feeding the goats over there. Right down the road from Lake Fairfax, in fact.

More to the point, perhaps, you'll be moving into an area that has a much higher than average percentage of kids who either are or have already been in the same situation as your son. Kids coming and going is a part of life here, so that 'new kid' thing might not apply here as much as it would in some other areas...

Old 07-20-2007, 08:18 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,585 times
I love the National Zoo! And the pandas and the snow tigers!

The Baltimore Aquarium is NOT to be missed. And I can't say enough about the Smithsonian -- I'm in awe every time I go. And I've been to major museums in other cities and countries too like London and Madrid. The Smithsonian is WORLD CLASS. The Holocaust Musuem is phenomenal but you need to prepare yourself mentally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia