Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:00 AM

121 posts, read 248,809 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Atlanta area where I work for the Federal Govt. I have been offered a reassignment to VA where my agency has an office in Chantilly.

Initially, I plan to come to VA alone and leave the family behind in Atlanta. The real estate market in Atlanta took a beating and the property value in my subdivision nose dived due to multiple foreclosures. To make a long story short, I love my house in Atlanta, I don’t want to sell it, and my son starts High School next year. My plan is to live in VA for a year or 2 in an apartment or townhouse. My new job will require allot of travel, domestic and international and will require me to spend allot of time at Dulles.

I will schedule a house hunting trip prior to moving and I would like to get a general idea of where to look.
My question is can someone recommend a reasonably priced 1 bedroom apartment near Chantilly? I have been to the NoVA/DC many times, mainly Ft. Belvoir and the Pentagon but I am not familiar with Chantilly and the surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,190,803 times
What does "reasonably priced" mean to you? Depending on what amenities you're looking for, you may expect to pay between $1200-1500 for a 1BR in Chantilly and most immediately surrounding places. As someone who is career-focused and looking for convenience, Chantilly itself will work for you. Coming from the ATL, I'm sure you appreciate the value of a shorter commute. There are very few "bad" areas in Fairfax County and you won't be particularly close to any of them.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the reply Tone509.

"Reasonably prices" is < $1,200. $1,200 would be my max including utilities. I really need to move to advance my career. I only need 1 year, 2 years tops in the new job before eventually moving back to the Atlanta area. The thought of paying $1,200 a month for a year or 2 just for rent makes me sick to my stomach. However, the move will be better for my career in the long run.

I noticed there are quite a few foreclosed condos and Townhomes in NoVA and I am considering looking into purchasing one. I may consider signing a 6 moth lease in an apartment to get an idea of the area before I consider buying.

Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:20 PM

248 posts, read 701,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTaris View Post
The thought of paying $1,200 a month for a year or 2 just for rent makes me sick to my stomach. However, the move will be better for my career in the long run.
Even though I pay a tad bit less than this near Chantilly, the only way you can go below the $1000 mark is if you get a roommate or two.

I know you are a family person but I personally know someone else who was in a bit of a worse situation than you (laid off and nowhere near his house to look for jobs). He ended up moving to Pax River and getting a roommate or two there while his family (wife and a few kids) were left behind. I think their ultimate goal was to sell the house and make the move to Pax River final, not sure though.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:34 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,556,189 times
There are several newer apartment complexes in the Fair Oaks area near the intersection of West Ox Road and Route 50 and also near Fairfax County Parkway and Fair Lakes Parkway that you may want to consider. As far as a permanent home, I would look at South Riding (note that it is near the runway of Dulles Apt so noise may be a factor). S.R. is very well laid out and has nice homes designed to make you think you are in small town America, if that's your thing. Further west you'll find a lot of newer, nice and affordably priced neighborhoods in the Haymarket area.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
..................... Coming from the ATL, I'm sure you appreciate the value of a shorter commute. There are very few "bad" areas in Fairfax County and you won't be particularly close to any of them.
After 9 years of a 180 mile round trip commute back and forth to work, I am looking forward to a short commute.

Thanks Tsuric and Gottasay. As I mull over my decision, I think I will sign an initial 6 month or 1 year lease on a condo, T H or apartment as close to Chantilly and Dulles as I can. I will also look into finding more info about the apartment complexes in the Fair Oaks area.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 AM

110 posts, read 272,554 times
Taris -

I just moved to Chantilly - living in a 2-bedroom privately owned apartment, renting it for $1300. Chantilly is nice, and convenient to Dulles. However, getting to Belvoir and the Pentagon may take a while, but would certainly be less than your 180 mile round trip.

There are *some* apartment complexes in the Chantilly area that you may be able to get for between $1100-$1200, these are mostly older/not as nice. The newer ones in fair oaks/fair lakes are generally above $1300 (I know this because my wife and I went and looked everywhere). Chantilly is probably where you will get the best value for your money in the area, as it is far enough away from the city, yet not in the popular reston/herndon/sterling/ashburn area.

Rent around here sucks... sorry!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 AM

214 posts, read 488,443 times
You could also put an ad on craigslist saying you are seeking to rent out an inlaw suite or basement of someone's house in that area. Just a thought, since you will be travelling much of the time.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 PM

989 posts, read 2,858,396 times
I would rent a basement apartment. I just did a quick craigslist search and found a few for $900 +/- with utilities and wifi included (fully separate basement apartments). Since you just basically need a place to crash, this would probably be your best bet and you can save your money. A $1200 apartment will still have $200+/- utility expenses.

Also, since you don't intend to stay in the area permanently, I would not buy anything. Unless you put a huge downpayment, you will have a hard time getting rent to cover your expenses.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 AM

So fare I have narrowed my search down to Chantilly, Manassas and Centreville. My preference is a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment with an onsite fitness center. My second choice is to rent a Condo or townhouse from a private owner.

Feel free to offer suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia