Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:51 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,124,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I'm not a realtor - I just know a lot about Reston real estate. I agree best bet is to rent a codo from an individual or realtor rather than to rent an apartment in a complex.

I'm actually a she and a scientist for the government.
You aren't a realtor? Wow, if you ever want a second career, you should consider it. You've helped so many on this forum. You always seem to know where the realestate deals are.

Anyway, ooops! Sorry for that and also that I thought you were a he not a she.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 AM

19 posts, read 30,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
The good news about travel to and from Dulles Airport is the dedicated airport access road - that runs right next to the toll road. It is often confusing at first as the access road has no tolls and is nearly never backed up with traffic. You should be able to get from Dulles to Reston in about 10 minutes even at the peak of rush hour.

Don't miss Roti Grill in Lake Anne Plaza - it is the lunch counter in the pharmacy.
Roti Grill - Reston, VA

Also, if you get to the South Lakes Area of Reston - Cafesano is my favorite - had dinner there last night. Sign up for their email club and you will get a buy one entree get one free coupon.
Cafesano

Here is the link to the Reston interactive map - it will show you the 55 miles to trails around Reston and the location of the lakes, tennis courts, swimming pools, etc.
Reston Association - Interactive Map Guide

Here is the link to the Reston Community Center
Reston Community Center
Thanks for easing my nerves a little about the commute! And thank you for the links. Maybe we'll try Roti Grill when we come this weekend!!!

55 miles of trails!!!! Sounds like heaven!!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
One last thought, since J is one the forum right now--I'd try to rent a condo from an individual rather than renting in an apartment complex. The complexes are ok, but people say the condos seem nicer. J is a realtor, so he might be able to tell you how to find a good place. Avoid Crescent Apartments.
Is it possible to find condo's in my price range?
$1,000 to $1700 for a 1 br with a den or loft or a 2 br

I didn't put much thought into condos since I didn't think I'd find anything in my price range. Any suggestions on where to look?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:17 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,254,213 times
My post the other day included a few condo rentals in Reston Town Center. Homesdatabase has them and also look on craigs list. Condos will be at the top of your price range in the $1500 - $1700 range and also just above it. In Reston you won't find them at the bottom of your range. I think that the bottom of the 1 bedroom apartments in Reston is about $1100 - $1200.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/17829218-post16.html

Here are a few options (some are a little above your range) in the South Lakes Area
2114 GREEN WATCH WAY #10/301, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase
2106 GREEN WATCH WAY #200, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase
11180 HARBOR CT #1180, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-HARBOR+POINT-RESTON-VA-MRIS-FX7508676 - broken link)
11500 IVY BUSH CT, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

The first two above are located where the photo below that says "Community deck over looking woods".
The third one above is in the photo below that says "Condos on Lake Thoreau too!" and also virtually in the parking lot of the South Lakes Shopping Center that is included in the photos
The last one is right around the corner from the photo below that say "Underpass to take me home"
https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...uth-lakes.html

Old 02-24-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks for all your help everyone! After my visit down to NOVA, my number one choice to live was definitely Reston, and my second was Herndon. I, however, am moving into an apartment in Ashburn. We drove back and forth all over NOVA on a Saturday night, all day Sunday, and on Monday, and I found that the driving from place to place wasn't all that bad. We took the apartment in Ashburn because we found the best pricing for the quality there. We were a little skeptical about the area since it is so new (wide open spaces, large empty lots ready to be developed), but we found that the little drive to Reston (where we will be definitely be spending some time since I fell in love with the Town Center), wasn't bad at all. We didn't find any really ugly traffic until we got closer to Tysons Corner. We had to go with one of the apartment complexes since we were on such a time restraint, but we chose to go with an Archstone property, which seemed to be some of the highest rated on apartmentratings.com. Sooooo, our moving date is this Saturday, 2/26. Very happy!!! Thanks again for all your help!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,124,202 times
Congratulations, and welcome to Northern Virginia!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,521,321 times
Good luck in Northern VA. Glad to see followup posts from those seeking advice, if you decide you hate Ashburn you can always move out after a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia