Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Good luck. I'm sure you'll find some friends quickly. You're already being proactive about it. Putting yourself out there is key.

I was lucky to have a high school friend (not closest, but she was in my group) who went to GW that I got an apartment with when I moved. Her college friend was our other roommate - she is now MY boss and best friend.

What about your college's alumni association or maybe a sorority/fraternity alumni group? That is usually a good way to meet people. I attended a couple events through my sorority's local alumni group, and met some nice people that way.

I have a friend of a friend. But I feel too weird asking my friend to help set something up.. It's like when you were in elementary school and your mom was helping you by setting up play dates for ya... haha. But I wish I was a brave soul to go to a bar by myself....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,882,875 times
My (geographically) closest peeps are in Sarasota, FL (or Chicago, occasionally/a few weeks out of year). The rest of my nuclear family is in Charleston, SC and Reno-Tahoe, NV. I am a total newbie to this part of the country. And, yes, I *will* continue to say that indefinitely, possibly.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:07 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,095,026 times
Moving here and away from my dysfunctional family was the key to happiness for me! Now my wife and child are my family here. The others visit occasionally and then go home.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,950,049 times
When we finish moving out later this year, we will be away from all family and close friends who are mostly on the west coast. We have made a few friends in the process but it won't be the same. But, I guess that is part of the adventure in our case...we are building a new home, in a neighborhood where we don't know anyone (all the past colleagues and friends we do know and who have helped through this process are up in MD). But, I have a feeling that we aren't alone in this and will make a lot of new friends. After all, traffic is crazy around here so there are no shortages of people to meet!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,741,272 times
If you don't count our family (husband and kids), our closest family is about 3000 miles away both east and west. We don't mind it at all.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 PM

15,150 posts, read 27,821,472 times
When I first moved here, I didn't know anyone (had briefly met the daughter of someone I worked w/in Pgh.) - when Pgh. economy took a dive - I moved w/o knowing anyone other than her (if knowing constitutes having met for 2 days), didn't have a job - but moved in w/her and another gal. Got a job, eventually kicked out the "known gal" LOL - got a job, had fun - moved to many places in this area. Since got married but bottom line: Try to get to know people, I do realize that it can be hard (and is hard - people are friendly but if you don't have a work relationship it's much more difficult to establish friendships IMO).

Hang in there, go out and about, just start talking to people, be friendly - maybe try to find a place where "regulars" go and get to know them?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 PM

564 posts, read 1,494,928 times
My whole family's here but a good friend from college is here alone. I'm the only person he knew here at first. His nearest relative is over 2000 miles away. When we were in college his family were all nearby and my relatives were all 2000 miles away, so I know what that's like.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:20 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,285,751 times
My husbands family is about 400 miles away and mine is about 1500, but for the last 10 yrs we have lived at least 8 hours away from family so we are used to it. Does make it kinda tough if there is an emergency and you need help, but so far we have been able to manage.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,256,160 times
My brother recently moved to TX leaving me here with none of my family close by. My wife has two sisters here with their families. I've been in NOVA since 1973 so no shortage of friends in the area.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,106,950 times
I have family here, but have moved to other cities as a single girl who didn't know anyone there. Joining a sports team or a group that puts on a show or a project will get you connected faster than some of the more social clubs, in my experience. There's something about sharing a commong goal with a group of people that makes it easier to make friends and feel connected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia