Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 07:34 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times

Advertisements

As I'm a native of the Philadelphia area, I found your impressions intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I just spent 4 days in Philly. I am a Washington native; however, I have lived in Maine and overseas for a bit, but mainly here and in Maryland.

Philly was interesting. I will say that there was much better Italian food there than I *ever* had in the NoVA DC area. The people, when I was out and about, were much friendlier with just saying "hi" when you were walking around so that was kind of nice.
While DC proper is no slouch in the culinary department, Philly's burgeoning restaurant scene is an "open secret". And there's certainly plenty of Italian heritage up there.

Quote:
The drivers in Philly were absolutely rude. If you had the least little bit of lag time (yes, I was trying to figure out where I was going), man did they lay on their horns and were extremely aggressive. I see aggressive here too but I have to say people are a tad more patient. That kind of shocked me.
I can't really debate that one. LOL

Quote:
The roads in Philly looked like they haven't been repaired in years. Our road infrastructure here is in much better shape.
I'd have to concede that, too...except were you comparing the roads to that of DC proper or NOVA?

Quote:
Philly (not the main part of the city, but the outskirts) was a complete eyesore. I know we have there here but the extent seemed much greater there, so I think it "looks" nicer there.
It's true that Philly has more than its share of challenged areas. To be fair, four or five Washingtons could fit into Philly. If one lumped together all the (IMO) decent-to-great Philly neighborhoods, the square mileage would be at least the same size as DC.

Quote:
Overall, I say I still prefer NoVA to at least that area. But I think they have better food.
Fair enough...although I think a better comparison would be PA suburbs to VA suburbs.

King of Prussia is like a "teenage" Tysons Corner in virtually every way, except that the long-promised train service to there has been stuck in the drawing board stages forever while the Silver Line's opening is imminent.

Speaking of transportation, Alexandria/Arlington/Fairfax may have slightly better bus service than in the PA burbs but SEPTA's commuter rail offers more frequency and coverage than the VRE.

The string of northwestern suburbs known as the Main Line has affluence that rivals that of McLean and Great Falls.

There are certainly many more organic town centers in the PA 'burbs than in NOVA. Not unlike NOVA, one may often have to travel relatively far out for newer housing as both areas are pretty much built out.

While I would not say Philly's PA suburbs are "slow", I find the pace a bit less frenetic than in NOVA, particularly on weekends.

Needless to say, the cost of living is more affordable in the PA burbs than in NOVAs when comparing similar neighborhoods. But while the PA 'burbs have their share of reasonably strong job centers (including the aforementioned King of Prussia), NOVA's emergence as a top job market over the last couple of decades can't be denied.

Obviously I left Philly to come to NOVA and there are certainly things I appreciate about living here. But I do hold a certain fondness for my home area and think that its suburban areas certainly hold their own against those of NOVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 05:03 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Tone,

Thanks for your take on things. To be very fair, I was only there for 4 days and very limited in the areas I went to. I never made it to King of Prussia.

I think what struck me is that while I felt like I was in a suburb of Philadelphia, the place where I was had a Philadelphia address. In the DC area, I don't really feel like that's the case. When you're "in the city" in DC, you know you're "in the city" albeit a few small areas around Anacostia.

Where I was it was VERY suburban, but still held the Philly address, so that was different to me.

As for the roads, yes, I was comparing them to NoVA roads versus DC roads (which are a mess in their own right!!).

Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 AM

Christine,

Sounds like you may have been in one of the neighborhoods in NW Philly (Chestnut Hill, Mount Airy) or Far Northeast Philly (e.g. Somerton) where I agree there is a suburban feel. So I understand where you are coming from there.

Well, I don't want to take this thread any more off-topic than I already have. Thanks again for sharing your impressions of Philadelphia.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Like - job market.
Dislike - weather and mosquitoes; suburban landscape

Old 06-23-2014, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
So, property rights have been abolished in California?

If you happen to have a "swimming hole" or some other amenity on your property, it is open to any passers-by to use as they see fit?

Man, I've heard things are getting crazy out there, but I had no idea!
I Love people on the internet. So quick to get on someone's case...

Haha. Do you think property rights have been abolished in CA? My guess is probably not... My point is that people who have swimming areas in CA are less likely to hassle you for using them. It's obviously up to the owner of the land, if there is one, to care or not if someone else goes for a swim. This, of course, is just my experience. Yours may be different.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
Where in Northern California? Can you contrast your experiences there?
I lived in Butte County. Paradise, Chico, Durham area. I also lived in Nevada City and North San Juan. I'm not going to contrast all my experiences there and put them up to my experiences living in NoVa but I will say they are two different worlds with very different types of people inhabiting them. Both have their issues but I'd take Norcal over NoVa any day of the week.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:35 PM

128 posts, read 158,532 times
Tone509:

I've been to Philly a few times, each time in the University area (U-Penn) which was a VERY nice area. Now that I recall, the university area there reminds me a lot of Foggy Bottom or parts of Arlington. However, there is one part of that town (west of downtown) that I had the displeasure to drive through. I only recall the streetcars, constant police presence on the sidewalks and trash EVERYWHERE. Needless to say, I was glad to get out of that part of town.

NoVA is generally a great area, the only issues are the traffic, stupid pedestrians who insist on jaywalking across 4 lanes of traffic while carrying an infant (Landmark, Seven Corners), and 'some' poor planning (the shopping center at corner of Duke and Beauregard, HOV access at Seminary road, etc...). However, to make up for the bad things there are plenty of good: shopping and dining options (more than just McDonalds, Golden Corral and IHOP), good public transportation, GREAT downtown areas (Old Town, Clarendon) and proximity to parks. Sure, there are some armpits, but none that come close to that disaster site I saw near Philly (at least not in Virginia).

Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post
Tone509:

I've been to Philly a few times, each time in the University area (U-Penn) which was a VERY nice area. Now that I recall, the university area there reminds me a lot of Foggy Bottom or parts of Arlington. However, there is one part of that town (west of downtown) that I had the displeasure to drive through. I only recall the streetcars, constant police presence on the sidewalks and trash EVERYWHERE. Needless to say, I was glad to get out of that part of town.

NoVA is generally a great area, the only issues are the traffic, stupid pedestrians who insist on jaywalking across 4 lanes of traffic while carrying an infant (Landmark, Seven Corners), and 'some' poor planning (the shopping center at corner of Duke and Beauregard, HOV access at Seminary road, etc...). However, to make up for the bad things there are plenty of good: shopping and dining options (more than just McDonalds, Golden Corral and IHOP), good public transportation, GREAT downtown areas (Old Town, Clarendon) and proximity to parks. Sure, there are some armpits, but none that come close to that disaster site I saw near Philly (at least not in Virginia).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Erix although, again, I'm not sure contrasting a city to a suburban area is necessarily an equivalent comparison.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:37 PM

64 posts, read 100,846 times
Despite my grumbling on other N. VA forums, there are many things I like about the area:

- wonderful historic 'main street' style areas within Old Town Alexandria, Leesburg, Manassas, Middleburg, Fairfax.
- Arlington Cemetery, Smithsonian, Mount Vernon
- Tysons Corner Mall/shopping area. Despite the high traffic surrounding it, I've have yet to encounter a better mall in my travels in the States and abroad in terms of great shops and specialized eateries.
- Working farms and co-ops in the surrounding areas. We still have Cox Farm, Ticonderoga Farm, and plenty more out in Purcellville area. Quite a few restaurants in the area use locally sourced meat and produce.
- Everything is about a 20-30 minute drive away if there is no traffic.
- Large selection of different denominations of churches other religious buildings. If one parish doesn't do it for you, there is another parish within 10 miles usually.
- A lot of people understand the federal government or military lifestyle. The area is very transient.
- We have a high concentrations of Whole Foods/Trader Joes/ethnic groceries stores and other grocery store shopping options in the area.
- There are several acceptable frozen custard options in the area and plenty of alternative coffee shops to Starbucks.
- NoVA community colleges. We're very lucky to have these in the area.
- George Mason University and Georgetown University...great public and private universities in the area.
- the INOVA hospital system and the healthcare options in the area.
- Nando's has graced N. VA with it's presence, and the newest one is located next to the Alamo cinema and drafthouse in Ashburn.

Cons
- traffic everywhere unless you leave your house before 5:30am and leave work after 3:30pm
- cost of housing is just horrid
- after a while everyone else's negativity and snippy-ness wears you down and you find yourself doing it to without realizing it
- people in general are not polite. Having worked retail in the area in my youth, I used to have people yell at me or throw things at me, or spit at me for being so chipper and happy at work. This happens more than you think in retail, customers actually upset that an employee is happy, or smiling, or even being very helpful.
- Drivers don't like to use turn signals, like to run stop signs, completely fail to yield. I don't find this behavior out in the Midwest area or most areas of Texas...MOST areas
- due to the cost of living for the area, many people feel entitled to luxury items that people outside of this area would even dream of spending their money on.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:09 PM

77 posts, read 201,732 times
- stronger job market
- low crime rate
- great public schools
- lower insurance costs (home, auto) and property taxes
- well maintained streets and highways free of trash
- spring and fall weather

Dislikes:

- traffic
- expensive and limited public transportation
- high home prices
- mediocre at best dining options
- boring and quiet surroundings
- # of drivers with road rage
- heat and humidity in the summer
- snow and ice in the winter
- distance from the beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia