Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,512,882 times

Advertisements

Likes; lots of parks, low property taxes and car insurance

Dislikes; unfriendly people, traffic all the time, snobbishness, old supermarkets, high price of housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 07:05 AM

190 posts, read 844,902 times
Likes- The culture and diversity, well educated population, great economy, great restaurant choices, lots to do outdoors and indoors

Dislikes- The traffic, High cost of living and housing, the humid summers.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:20 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,954,592 times
Like: Educated population, plethora of jobs, ease of access to DC, spring/fall weather
Dislike: Winter/summer weather, horrible traffic, high COL, high stress atmosphere 24/7 (this place is go-go-go! At least, inside the beltway)

Old 03-19-2011, 01:23 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,735,435 times
Likes: Great weather (generally), lots of parks, lots of ethnic restaurants, treatment of religion as a private matter that need not enter every conversation, abundance of jobs

Dislikes: Cost of living (mortgage, insurance), too many people, too many cars, too much development; we need some tranquity and non-growth for a couple of decades at least.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:03 PM

306 posts, read 436,982 times
Dislikes: insane traffic including non-peak hours and weekends, very high cost of housing, many introverted and unfriendly people, getting to most any activity seems like a hassle, the obsession with jobs and career.

Likes: Decent climate, better than average job market for some industries, generally clean and safe, good location, lots of services. Most important "like", I won't be here for much longer.

I actually think this area has more good elements than bad. The problem for me is that the dislikes such as traffic, housing costs and the overall people vibe can overwhelmingly outweigh the "likes" for me.

Traffic and cost of living have a way of encroaching on many facets of your life.

I also don't think most people here are mean or sinister by nature, just very reserved and unfriendly. I am comparing that to the other 6 major US metro areas that I have lived in and the countless others I have visited.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:53 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,512,882 times
I like to hear from someone like Moved Often who has actually lived in several differtnt locations and know people here are aloof - I hate hearing from people who have never lived anywhere else - they really dont know what they are talking about.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:58 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,954,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I like to hear from someone like Moved Often who has actually lived in several differtnt locations and know people here are aloof - I hate hearing from people who have never lived anywhere else - they really dont know what they are talking about.
I've lived in LA-vicinity, San Francisco suburbs, Baltimore suburbs, and now DC suburbs. DC is the hardest area for me to meet people and form strong relationships, but that also may be the phase of life I'm in. Your entire life can't be as easy to meet people as college was, you know?

Old 03-20-2011, 06:03 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,735,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I've lived in LA-vicinity, San Francisco suburbs, Baltimore suburbs, and now DC suburbs. DC is the hardest area for me to meet people and form strong relationships, but that also may be the phase of life I'm in. Your entire life can't be as easy to meet people as college was, you know?
So true. I think a lot of people feel like there's no point to making new friends after 28. But it's also easier to make friends if you're around a lot of people in the same life stage.

But you know, as I read post after post on which areas of the country are friendly and how the meaning of the word differs in each area, I think it has as much to do with the person as the region. You wonder when someone posts the tired old people-are-so-cold-here monologue here if this is the kind of person who puts out a friendly, positive vibe to other people.

I mean, more than half of us here are from somewhere else! So how can we all somehow be so ostensibly cold and aloof?

OK, someone please steer us back on course from my tangent. I'll get us started again: I LOVE the big trees in this region. Something you don't have in many areas of the country.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 AM

306 posts, read 436,982 times
I agree that it is incumbent upon people being extroverted themselves to meet people. As I said, I don't believe people here are bad or sinister. I think a lot of the reason people are not as quick to make eye contact or engage others is simply because they are worn out, tired from commuting, work, stress, etc.

It really has nothing to do with who is a native or not. People who move here are subject to the same issues as those who have lived here all their lives.

I am a lot less likely to be as friendly and interactive after a 90 minute commute compared to a short drive home.

In my case I compared it to other cities/metro areas that I have experienced. In that example, I am the constant.

I also have read many other CD forums and the topic does not come up nearly as frequently as it does in NOVA or DC.

Many people have also lived in other places so when they see a difference in the level of personal interaction, it stands out to them.

Also, when people make general statements, that's what they are, general statements. They are not meant to include every single person.

If people here had 20 minute commutes and got home to their 2200 sf, 4 bedroom homes that cost $225,000 in a good school district by 5:45 pm, the subject probably would not come up very often.

I know it is a sore subject with people and it inspires some to get defensive, I understand that.

It sounds like a bash fest but I just think it is an honest, authentic comparison from people's experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
So true. I think a lot of people feel like there's no point to making new friends after 28. But it's also easier to make friends if you're around a lot of people in the same life stage.

But you know, as I read post after post on which areas of the country are friendly and how the meaning of the word differs in each area, I think it has as much to do with the person as the region. You wonder when someone posts the tired old people-are-so-cold-here monologue here if this is the kind of person who puts out a friendly, positive vibe to other people.

I mean, more than half of us here are from somewhere else! So how can we all somehow be so ostensibly cold and aloof?

OK, someone please steer us back on course from my tangent. I'll get us started again: I LOVE the big trees in this region. Something you don't have in many areas of the country.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 AM

18 posts, read 72,534 times
dislikes: summer/winter weather, traffic, pollen, air quality action days (not as bad as a lot of places, though)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia