Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,372,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Don't believe everything you read in the press regarding the PWC law and its effects. The press exaggerated an awful lot of it, especially newspapers like the Washington Post.
OK, thanks, I do read the post a lot.

Anyway, I love the house. Ffx county is pretty liberal in this sense, I have never been asked anything like that here or in DC. But I guess that is the law.

Thanks to all the people that answered in this topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
OK, thanks, I do read the post a lot.

Anyway, I love the house. Ffx county is pretty liberal in this sense, I have never been asked anything like that here or in DC. But I guess that is the law.

Thanks to all the people that answered in this topic
You know, not to keep going on and on about this but I'm not sure Fairfax is liberal at all.

Fairfax did not get the influx of illegal immigrants that Prince William did mainly because their real estate is too high priced. If they had experienced some of the problems that Woodbridge and Manassas experienced, I bet they'd be singing a different tune.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 AM

4,435 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
[LEFT]Q2 If a police officer gives me a summons (ticket), can that officer question my
immigration status?
A2
The requirement of asking about immigration status applies to all persons after they
are under physical custodial arrest. However, police officers retain the discretion to
inquire into immigration status prior to arrest, as appropriate under law. This could
include a summons situation. It is also important to note that if a person presents false[/LEFT]
identification to the police officer, that person may be arrested.

This is from the PD website. You can be asked when recieving a trafic ticket.

In Virginia, having a drivers license generally proves you are in the country legally. VA's DMV is pretty strict now on who gets licenses. You have to prove that you are here legally, not like in MD. So by providing your license during a traffic stop, you have produced your "papers". (Legislative Information System)

In VA, we do not have a "Stop and Identify" Law. You have to carry a Drivers License when you are driving, but why do you need a license when you are walking? The most a LEO can ask is for your name, even then they'd need RAS (Reasonable Articulable Suspicion) Read - Stop And Identify Statutes : Info, Images, Discussion (http://www.joeinvestoronline.com/library/Stop-and-identify-statutes.php - broken link). They can't just randomly stop and detain people, otherwise like Christine mentioned we'd heard new stories about it already.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You know, not to keep going on and on about this but I'm not sure Fairfax is liberal at all.
Really? The last election of District 11, sure showed it to be. It was pretty much a split down for those living in PWC voting for the Republican Candidate, while FFX voted for the Democrat

Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 AM

However, police officers retain the discretion to
inquire into immigration status prior to arrest, as appropriate under law. This could
include a summons situation. (Ticket)

One asterisk, not according to this. I got my DL 11 years ago and not one immigration paper was asked to issue or renew it.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
However, police officers retain the discretion to
include a summons situation. (Ticket)

One asterisk, not according to this. I got my DL 11 years ago and not one immigration paper was asked to issue or renew it.
Well try to get one now, and you'll see what I'm talking about. There has been a lot of changes, mostly because of 9/11.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf

For example, you don't even get your license at DMV any longer. They will mail it to you. This prevents false IDs being made at your DMV. Now you take your picture at the DMV, but a separate facility makes the actual license.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Ok I see. Thanks for the clarification. I have to run, but I will post my impressions when I move to my new house. It should be ok.

See ya!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
None of this stuff is new.

All four of my grandparents passed through Ellis Island from 1895-1910 and settled in New Haven CT. The Italians and the Irish were overtly discriminated against in those days. Covenants prevented them from buying houses anywhere but the Italian and Irish parts of town.

I don't remember them ever complaining about it....they were just glad to be here (and they prospered beyond their wildest dreams in the fields of law and medicine).

Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM

509 posts, read 974,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Fairfax did not get the influx of illegal immigrants that Prince William did mainly because their real estate is too high priced. If they had experienced some of the problems that Woodbridge and Manassas experienced, I bet they'd be singing a different tune.
I agree - a lot of the problem was tied to cheaper real estate in PWC which attracted people buying and utilizing as boarding houses. Also, many of those houses were obtained via fraudulent loans and when the bottom fell out of the real estate market those homes were the ones that got foreclosed on.

It probably is true that if neighborhoods in Fairfax County were impacted the same way as in PWC they might look at things differently.

In any event the 2010 census numbers are out, and it still shows PWC has a very sizeable Hispanic population - despite reports of Hispanics fleeing PWC as a result of the immigration law enacted in 2008. There is no reliable way of showing however whether or not the illegal immigrant population has risen or fallen since then - and anything reported in the press is speculation at best.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:12 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Really? The last election of District 11, sure showed it to be. It was pretty much a split down for those living in PWC voting for the Republican Candidate, while FFX voted for the Democrat

I'm sorry, I didn't read that as politically liberal. I realize they are "purple." I took it as that the OP felt they just were more laid back about immigrants. And, heck, maybe they are but I think until they experience what PWC did, we won't really know how they would have reacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia