Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 02:33 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times

Advertisements

I'm 40-something and clean our gutters myself. Makes me feel all manly and whatnot. Some men ride bulls; some men race cars. Me, I clean the gutters. WRAAAGHH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 119,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudFu View Post
I have unfortunately used the LeafFiler North recently on 9/26/2013. Here is my review about this company:
I am greatly disappointed by the product and the company’s service. LeafFilter North has not completed what was promised in their contract.

1. Downspouts not cleaned and realigned. The contract specified they would clean and realign all downspouts. They attempted only one (1) of sixteen (16). Their website (Gutter Guards | LeafFilter) specifies that installation will include “Step 2: Clean and Realign Downspout.” After partially attempting to clean one downspout, they advised that the bottom was blocked and they simply didn’t continue. Their promise was not completed.

2. Homeowner Inspection Certificate not received. Their website specifies their final step is “We will walk the perimeter of your property along with you to inspect the completed work and to answer any question or concerns you may have. You will then receive our Homeowner Inspection Certificate that guarantees a satisfactory installation.” They did not complete this inspection with me so I did not get to approve the installation. I would not have approved if I had been given the chance. I have never received a Lifetime Transeferrabe Warranty

3. Subcontracted Company and no response to complaints. LeafFilter was not the company that came to install the product. I was never told that they would use another company to do the job. If I knew I would not hire them. I called the day of the installation to complain that the job had not been completed properly. My first call reached a LeafFilter salesman JB, but he hung up on me. My second call reached a regional manager. He promised that he would personally come to check the work. He did not show up at the scheduled appointment time. He called after the appointment time had passed to reschedule. He did not show up for that appointment either. There was no call, no explanation after that. LeafFilter North has not followed through on their promises.

4. Improper installation. The product was installed poorly in comparison to the workmanship promised on their website and promised by the salesman. There are gaps between the guard system and the roof. There is damage to the roof in several places. They made poorly measured cuts to the fascia board exposing the wood to the elements which will cause rot. Please see the attached are photos of the poor product installation on my property.

5. Product failure. The system has not worked. I’ve since found another customer complaint that echoes my experience: “I know the guarantee says "nothing but water" in the gutters, but it should say "Not even water" in the gutters.” (LeafFilter - Redmond, WA | Yelp) LeafFilter gives a “lifetime guarantee” but their installation was never completed properly so the system didn’t work from day one! The promises and claims of this product and the LeafFilter company have fallen short. Attached are photos that show how the leaves sit on top of the gutters to block the water get into the gutters.

I have come to the conclusion that I have spent $13,509.59 on a gutter system that was installed improperly by a company (through a subcontractor) that has not responded to my complaints. I am devastated to discover that the company, their product and their promises are fraudulent.
CloudFu, I'm not going to respond to your review, but let you know what I see the pictures you've shared.

First, your shingles extend really far over the top of your gutters (more than half way!). With a product that filters, you need to have all the filter exposed or your wasting the very thing you're paying for.

Secondly, those same shingles extending out like this create a diving board effect over the gutter guard, according to micro mesh inventor Alex Higginbotham. That means water is inclined to shoot out over the shingles in a heavy rain, again meaning that the gutter guard isn't being given the chance to do what it's supposed to do. You're also going to get a lot of splashing forward off of the gutter and back towards your wood fascia when you've got the diving board effect. You've noted your fascia isn't properly protected anymore, which is why I bring this to your attention.

Third, the water is going to wrap around the shingle and absorb into its felt-like bottom. Water will wick up your shingle this way causing premature shingle aging. Shingle manufacturers only want a little of the shingle edge (1/2 to 3/4inch) exposed over the drip edge in their installs.

Fourth, you'll have to closely monitor that debris doesn't start to collect and build up under your shingles, especially small fir needles common to your geography. It will act like a sponge if it does, allowing the shingle above and your fascia behind it to stay wet and wick in water. The debris will block the water receiving area and will be prone to grow moss as well.

You have no end caps on the system and you should.

You should check to see if the filter looks like its bubbling along the gutter run. The filter must make contact with the filtering points below or the filter can clog because it can't scrub itself clean. A dealer installed filter really has to be put in using the highest standard to make sure this can't happen. It's also the reason why Alex switched his newer systems to a factory installed filter and moved to pitching his later systems with the roof line to help shed debris.

Alex Higginbotham prefers when the shingle makes contact with the gutter guard. The water is already sticking to the shingle and he wants the water to maintain this contact so when you transition from shingle to gutter guard, the system has the best chance of siphoning the water into the gutter below.

I hope this is helpful in understanding how this technology can work.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,083 times
Default LeafFilter Failure

To summarize my experience with LeafFilter.

1) We purchased/installed the Leaf Filter system and drip edge in JUN 2010. Leaf Filter replaced one piece of fascia board and the gutter over the garage. The fascia board was rotted and the gutter was warped/rusted. No other issues existed with my fascia/ gutters - otherwise Leaf Filter would have replaced/fixed it then (in accordance with the warranty - detailed below). I am an Army officer, and frequently travel overseas for extended periods of time. I purchased the system/drip edge because I wanted to ensure that my home drainage system would not have any issues while I was gone.

2) Due to military requirements, I was absent from the Washington DC area from JUL 2013 until JUN 2014. When I returned, I noticed the gutters were streaked, rusted, watermarked, and that the fascia was rotted in several locations. During a moderate thunderstorm last week, I took pictures/video of water flowing over the leaf filter system (instead of into it/the gutters), and dripping off the bottom of the gutter. I also identified a number of locations where water was flowing behind the drip edge/gutter, and dripping off the fascia.

Both an installation manager and the VA office manager acknowledged that parts of the leaf filter system were clogged with pollen and/or other micro pollutants, and that the entire system needed to be replaced. Further, they both acknowledged that installation of the system and drip edge could have been installed "better."

Bottom line - the leaf filter system failed. This failure caused permanent and irreparable damage to my gutters in the form of black streaks (my kids call them zebra gutters - I tried to power wash them, but the stains will not come off), rust stains and unsightly watermarks along the entire length of the gutters. Further, Leaf Filter either failed/or did a poor job of calking some of the seams in my existing gutters, with resulted in additional rust stains. Lastly, Leaf Filter did a poor job of installing portions of the drip edge, which caused water to run between the gutter and the fascia, resulting in stains, paint peeling and wood rot in multiple locations.

3) The written warranty provided to me by Leaf Filter states in part
- "We seal your gutter and downspouts with 50 year silicone"
- "We repair any damaged gutters and/or downspouts, if necessary"
- "We give you a manufacture's money back, no clog, guarantee."

Given the above commitment provided to me by Leaf Filter at the time of purchase, I feel strongly that Leaf Filter is responsible for the failure of the system/drip edge and resulting damage.
4) It took me over ten business days to get in contact with Joe Roschival, LeafFilter Vice-President of Installation. Mr. Roschival was abusive, argumentative, and constantly interrupted me. He questioned my integrity and called me a liar three separate occasions during our approximate 30 minute conversation. He accused me on "slander."

Mr. Roschival stated that since at least 50% of the water was going into the gutters, the gutter guards were working properly. He further stated that the LeafFilter warranty only guarantees that debris will not get into the gutter - it does not guarantee that the screen will not become clogged. Additionally, he stated that LeafFilter seals gutters with the "recommended silicone," but there is no guarantee that the silicone will prevent water leakage.

This is a terrible company - inferior product, inferior installation, substandard service. I strongly recommend that you do not do business with this firm.

If you have had a bad experience with LeafFilter, please visit my Facebook page - [url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Leaf-Filter-Failure/507661669364365[/url] Leaf Filter Failure - and tell me what happened.

By the way - LeafFilter is incredibly expensive. Check out their prices – according to the LeafFilter Virginia Manager. The first number is the “at cost price,” and the second is the price “with overhead” – including sales commission, marketing, online reputation management and legal services. Bottom line - LeafFilter charges customers 200% of the at cost price.

Leaf Filter System - $10/ $20 per linear foot
5 inch gutter - $5.50/$11 per linear foot
6 inch gutter - $9/ $18 per linear foot
Fascia (not painted) - $5/ $10 per linear foot
Drip Edge - $5/ $10 per linear foot

Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberguy View Post
He said that they were rated #1 by consumer reports...same claim leaf filter used.
I know this is ancient history, but I had to laugh, because I'm doing research into gutter covers and that includes looking into consumer reports. Both of these products DID get 1st pick on consumer reports; one in the pro-installed, and one in the customer-installed. But I can understand how it would have raised an eyebrow when they each said they were the best! :P "We were rated #1!" "Yeah right, that's what the last guy said!"

http://i.imgur.com/IGD4oIg.jpg

Old 06-16-2016, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,164 times
I have leaffilter on my house. It works ok on straight runs. But where i have valleys and corners there is a lot of rainwater that runs over the screens. I've got to periodically clean the filters too.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,789 times
I was quoted by Leaf Filter $5100 for a lil less than 160 feet of gutter protection here in North Georgia. Of course if i buy right now i can get them for $4138.
Im of the same opinion that $100/yr to clean out the gutters is a much better use of funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia