Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of running in noisy sidewalks that jump sides every block and sometimes just disappear for a quarter of a mile, breathing in all those exhaust fumes.

Woodbridge hs isn't too far away, wouldn't mind going there if it meant I could run on the track field and not the inconsistent sidewalk.

But is that allowed? Maybe I should email them. Especially with them getting out of class soon it shouldn't be a problem though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 05:42 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
It's okay to use the tracks in Fairfax County...

(Sports fields are a different story. You need a permit)

Old 05-23-2011, 05:46 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
You mean like, a baseball field right? There's a baseball field around here that is always blocked off, but that's fine.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:08 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,682,232 times
Yes, lots of people use the Fairfax County school tracks outside of school hours when students aren't using them. Not sure of the rules in PW, though. You could just go over and see if non-students are using it.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:44 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
(Sports fields are a different story. You need a permit)
Not necessarily. Only if you're part of a group over a certain number. If nobody with a permit is using one, it's open for use.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,800 times
Don't know how far you're willing to travel, but if you're fairly close to Woodbridge, are you a reasonable distance to route 234? There is that long bike path that runs several miles along 234--I've always wanted to try running it!
Also there is the 3 miles (in each direction) bike route in Prince William Forest, plus many more miles of wooded trails if you're into trail running. Love running there! It's been several months since I've been out there and I think they are doing some construction on the road right now...maybe call before you make the drive out. There is an entrance fee to get in, but if you have a National Parks pass it's free.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Not necessarily. Only if you're part of a group over a certain number. If nobody with a permit is using one, it's open for use.
I dunno, man...I drive a school bus and I'm at various high schools several times a day and I see the signs posted. These signs even threaten arrest for unauthorized use.

The booster clubs spend tons of money maintaining those natural fields....to avoid damaging them, varsity games are cancelled frequently if the ground is too wet. And the artificial turf fields cost near $1m and have strict rules for their use. The are NOT going to allow the situations that occur on Park Authority fields to happen at high school stadiums.

edit: maybe you're talking about the neighborhood elementary school's field of weeds? Yeah, they probably are much more lax about them...

Last edited by car54; 05-23-2011 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,800 times
After reading some of the other posts, I was curious---do you mean a "field" or a "track"? It's been a while since I was in high school , but I remember back then, at most schools, the football field had a oval shaped dirt track around it, measuring 1/4 mile.
I was in marching band and I remember while we practiced on the field at night after school, some local adults (with no connection to the school, just local residents) would use the track for running---safe, well lit, since it was 1/4 mile you knew how far you were going, etc.

Do high schools around here do the same? Is that what the OP was talking about? Not grass fields that potentially could be damaged?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 PM

100 posts, read 219,941 times
I don't know about all of the area high schools, but the two I'm familiar with, Oakton and Herndon, both have quarter-mile tracks encircling their football fields. When I lived near Herndon High School, I went to the track to walk several times. There were always a few other people, usually adults, there at the time.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Some of the middle schools have tracks as well. I haven't seen any postings warning to keep off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia