Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:23 PM

68 posts, read 82,964 times

Advertisements

Hi -

Looking for suggestions on a short visit (10 AM to 2:00 PM) to Shenandoah National Park - we have two young boys - almost 3 and almost 1 and were looking to head to Shenandoah next Saturday the 11th. We're planning to bring along a picnic lunch.

Specifically:

Is there a long line (similar to Great Falls National Park) to get in - we're plannig to be there by 10:00 AM and leave by the latest 2:00 PM.

Any suggestions on what to do - we can only do light hiking with the little ones - anything else folks could suggest? Our oldest loves climbing rocks and waterfalls. The youngest likes to eat dirt.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 01:03 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,302 times
I suggest Limberlost Trail (milepost 43) as it is a level trail for little legs. The mountain laurel should be in bloom when you visit. The Shenandoah National Park website has a list of printable maps of hiking trails; Limberlost is on the Skyland Area map.

Another fun trail (with many LARGE rocks) is Stony Man Summit (on the same Skyland Area map). That might be a tough trail for the 1 year old, though.

Another idea -- if it is cool outside -- is a walk through the Big Meadows. There is a camp provisions store directly across the street, and they sell ice cream there. Often there are deer grazing by the picnic tables outside.

Have fun!

Old 06-04-2011, 07:56 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,336 times
I would probably skip the hiking and go to Luray Caverns instead. Otherwise, with such young children, you might just drive along Skyline Drive and stop at one of the pull-off areas and each lunch there. There are plenty of them and the views are great without having to do any hiking, which might actually be dangerous with toddlers. I have never seen a line to get in anywhere, but it's been a while since I've gone.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
I suggest Limberlost Trail (milepost 43) as it is a level trail for little legs. The mountain laurel should be in bloom when you visit. The Shenandoah National Park website has a list of printable maps of hiking trails; Limberlost is on the Skyland Area map.

Another fun trail (with many LARGE rocks) is Stony Man Summit (on the same Skyland Area map). That might be a tough trail for the 1 year old, though.

Another idea -- if it is cool outside -- is a walk through the Big Meadows. There is a camp provisions store directly across the street, and they sell ice cream there. Often there are deer grazing by the picnic tables outside.

Have fun!
Orange Fish -

Thanks for your reply - I should have been more specific - when we talk about light hiking we really mean wide trails that can accomodate a double stroller. (Great Falls is perfect for this) We then stop in (safe) open areas to let the 3 year old run around, climb some rocks or trees with Daddy while we picnic. Big Meadows sounds as if it may be perfect for this. The ice cream would be big hit also. Maybe even the kids would like some.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbrien View Post
The ice cream would be big hit also. Maybe even the kids would like some.
LOL LOL A parent after my own heart.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,302 times
Quote:
Orange Fish -

Thanks for your reply - I should have been more specific - when we talk about light hiking we really mean wide trails that can accomodate a double stroller. (Great Falls is perfect for this) We then stop in (safe) open areas to let the 3 year old run around, climb some rocks or trees with Daddy while we picnic. Big Meadows sounds as if it may be perfect for this. The ice cream would be big hit also. Maybe even the kids would like some.
Then Limberlost is for you.

It is the only trail that is wheelchair accessible in Shenandoah National Park. Definitely works for a double stroller!

Old 06-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

It is the only trail that is wheelchair accessible in Shenandoah National Park. Definitely works for a double stroller!
Awesome to know - thank again Orange Fish.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:

In doing some research on Limberlost I came across this -

Perhaps the saddest demise is Shenandoah's Limberlost, a magnificent stand of hemlocks with trees as old as 350 years. In their prime, the beautiful, ancient trees mirrored the look of the Pacific Northwest, according to Shenandoah biologist Rolf Gubler.

Sounds like the areas trees were really decimated by disease. Quite a shame.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:37 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Quote:
In doing some research on Limberlost I came across this -

Perhaps the saddest demise is Shenandoah's Limberlost, a magnificent stand of hemlocks with trees as old as 350 years. In their prime, the beautiful, ancient trees mirrored the look of the Pacific Northwest, according to Shenandoah biologist Rolf Gubler.

Sounds like the areas trees were really decimated by disease. Quite a shame.
It is a shame... but at the same time it 's interesting to see what has grown in their place as the years have gone by. I think of it as a demonstration of life cycles.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
when our DD was little, we did Stony man. We had her hiking from when she hadnt been walking that long - about 2, IIRC. Toddlers love it (though of course you want to watch them closely).

DD is now 19, and still loves hiking, backpacking and other outdoor and mountain activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia