Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,102,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
That seems like an odd way to get new customers. Most people moving here don't know one dentist from another. If they want to get their teeth cleaned, they'll choose the one with the most convenient opening. If a dentist says they have to wait 2 months, they'll just move on to the next one.

BTW, one of my kids works for a doctor in Reston, so when I called her at lunch I told her this theory. When she stopped laughing, she assured me that not only do they book every appointment every day, they sometimes have a problem with overbooking and by the afternoon appointments can run late. (Of course, you never know.... maybe the doctor is paying her to say this. It's all part of the conspiracy. )
You'd think, wouldn't you?

I have a close relative who needed to see the long-time family physician for a near-emergency. When she called to schedule the appointment, she ended up on the phone with a new receptionist, who told her in a patronizing tone that she'd need to wait three weeks. She called back and asked to speak to the doctor's long-time receptionist, who told her to come right in and they'd see her. When she arrived at the suite the physician shares with two other doctors, there were only 1-2 other patients in the waiting area.

So I guess it's one of those things that falls into the YMMV category. Personally, I'm more in line with your suggestion. If a doctor or dentist, or his/her receptionist, gives me that line, I'll just find someone else. One of the benefits of this being an affluent area is that there is more than one doctor or dentist to call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 12:26 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,515,697 times
I find there are less competent Drs. around here - they seem less "with it" - but since there are so many people living here they put up with Dr.s that are not the best

Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,006,245 times
I thought Falls Church was an independent city not a county?????

Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,317,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I thought Falls Church was an independent city not a county?????
Yes, the linked article addresses that:

Quote:
To determine America's richest counties, we looked at median annual household income estimates from 2005 to 2009 in each county in the nation, provided by the U.S. Census' American Community Survey. The estimates are in 2009 inflation-adjusted U.S. dollars.

Nader Baroukh, the mayor of Falls Church, is not shying away from the designation of being the richest, but he does disagree with one of the U.S. Census' conclusions. "We are actually a city and not a county, but I can't comment on how the Census puts its data together," says Baroukh.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,884,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
While this area has among the highest incomes in the country, we also have among the highest cost of living, so I don't know necessarily think that this is the wealthiest area. If we do a COL adjustment, I'd bet there are other areas that are wealthier. Also, many would define wealth by how much families have in assets (minus their debts) rather than by their income. Many around here have high income but are not wealthy.
Yup... I remember seeing a US city ranking of 'purchasing power' a couple years ago, and the DC area's rank wasn't as impressive as you'd think, due to the high COL (esp. real estate). Probably also explains the atrocious/dated (and not in a good way) decorating one sees in 700k+ homes listed on.... In some cases it's quite possibly more a pragmatic issue than an aesthetic one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I find there are less competent Drs. around here - they seem less "with it" - but since there are so many people living here they put up with Dr.s that are not the best
Yes, yes.. I have had some mind-blowingly weird experiences with doctors around here (using four-letter words in front of me, asking me to remind them where the stomach was located within someone's torso, etc.). I think, as with a lot of things around here, it's a sort of 'haves' and 'have nots' situation as far as doctors - or their patients, rather - are concerned. Thus, sadly, not being willing to pay the full cost of medical care out-of-pocket (meaning, you want to use your insurance - 'FEP Blue' Standard PPO, in my case) puts you in the 'have nots' category, and you'll be stuck with some oddballs.

Finally, Fairfax Co. actually has fewer restaurants per-capita than the VA average. True, an enormous population would play a part in this, but a lack of restaurants would play an even bigger part. I think basically we (and other DC metro counties/communities) don't have as many low-wage service jobs pulling our median income down as would a lot of 'normal' (from my point of view) communities.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 06-06-2011 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: realtor-driven website = advertising

Old 06-07-2011, 04:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,124,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post

I have a close relative who needed to see the long-time family physician for a near-emergency. When she called to schedule the appointment, she ended up on the phone with a new receptionist, who told her in a patronizing tone that she'd need to wait three weeks. She called back and asked to speak to the doctor's long-time receptionist, who told her to come right in and they'd see her. When she arrived at the suite the physician shares with two other doctors, there were only 1-2 other patients in the waiting area.
I'm just guessing, but it sounds to me like that doctor had other plans for the day, which he then altered to accommodate your relative. Maybe he had set aside time to go over paperwork, buy equipment, meet with a contractor or lawyer, update his credentials, etc.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,293,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Finally, Fairfax Co. actually has fewer restaurants per-capita than the VA average.
That's pretty bad, considering the rest of VA is not exactly loaded with them. The state seems to have more of a dine at home culture than other places. Why is that?

Old 06-07-2011, 04:55 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,419,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's pretty bad, considering the rest of VA is not exactly loaded with them. The state seems to have more of a dine at home culture than other places. Why is that?
1. Horrible traffic in NoVA/DC.

2. Terrible customer service. Why should I pay an exorbitant price for the privilege of being served mediocre food by a disgruntled, sulky employee?

At least, that's our reasons for eating at home. It has allowed us to sock away a lot of money here. And I am a pretty good cook.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,124,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Maybe we just aren't into wasting money? Restaurants charge a ridiculous amount for food I can prepare better myself and for half the price. Also, people here like to cook--look at how many cooking classes there are. Even the malls have cooking schools.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,102,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm just guessing, but it sounds to me like that doctor had other plans for the day, which he then altered to accommodate your relative. Maybe he had set aside time to go over paperwork, buy equipment, meet with a contractor or lawyer, update his credentials, etc.
It's good to play devil's advocate, but the point was that the new receptionist originally claimed the doctor couldn't see my relative for three weeks. So that would have entailed quite a bit of equipment buying and credential-updating.

It all worked out fine in the end. However, when professionals or their representatives profess to have no time for long-time clients or patients for extended periods, they tend to end up with a thinner roster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia