Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 18,052 times

Advertisements

Hi! New here... We are an Army officer's family relocating from Fort Gordon in Augusta, GA to Fort Belvoir. Looking at rental homes on various websites, including www.militarybyowner.com. Found a GORGEOUS house on half an acre in Stonewall Manor subdivision in Triangle, VA. Just wondering what anyone can tell me about the elementary school that serves Stonewall Manor, what the commute to Ft. Belvoir would be like, the community of Stonewall Manor, and any other info you could share about Triangle, such as shopping, restaurants, crime, yada yada. I've seen threads where Triangle is mentioned as a high crime, high drugs area, but they date back to 2007, so I'm looking for more recent info. Also, we are LDS, so if any of you out there are LDS too and could tell us something about the local ward, that would be great! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,425,200 times
I don't live there but up until a couple months ago worked in that general area all the time, basically everywhere around Quantico is crap. I'm sure there is a nice area hidden somewhere but I've never found it. I do service work so I'm kinda all over the areas I work. For crime stats etc check Prince William County, as Triangle is not it's own town it's only a neighborhood in PW County.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM

262 posts, read 841,400 times
From what I've read, you might want to research Lake Ridge.

There are a few neighborhoods there that I've seen other posters recommend.

http://www.militarybyowner.com

Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM

707 posts, read 1,409,135 times
If you go west on route 234 pass I 95 there are some very nice neighborhoods with decent schools, one that comes to mind is Mountclair which has a lot of military families. There are all kinds of neighborhoods with affordable houses as well as higher end ones, its worth checking out .

Old 06-06-2011, 06:20 PM

265 posts, read 953,133 times
Triangle is the furthest south city in Prince William County. It is just outside of the gates of Quantico. It will definitely take you longer to go from this area up 95 than one of the further North neighborhoods in Prince William County. Stonewall Manor has very high end homes and there are also a few other neighborhoods with higher price point homes in the area. There is very little in terms of shopping centers and restuarants in this area due to the result of the Re-vitalization of the Route 1 corridor in Triangle. All of the businesses along the Route 1 corridor have been demolished and the plan is to rebuild and widen Route 1. It's a long term project.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 PM

We are looking at homes in various areas, such as Lake Ridge, Montclair, the Ashland area of Manassas, and several different areas of Woodbridge. Trying to keep the commute from getting too long or too convoluted. We have enough of a BAH available to us that we can afford a newer or renovated home in those areas (and I'm spoiled - I don't want to live in an old split level), but we could potentially save some $$$ by renting in an area like Triangle. I've seen several brand-new homes up for rent in neighborhoods like Garrison Woods and Stonewall Manor, but like I said, I haven't been able to find much info on Triangle unless it's several years out of date.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,135,974 times
I'm sure you've seen that the recommendation is to live as close to work as possible because traffic is awful in this area. If you're in Ft. Belvoir, I'd live further north personally so as to save your significant other some aggravation to/from work.

I used to live off Fuller Heights road from 1995 - 2003 and it's changed dramatically. Like others have mentioned there isn't much great shopping or restaurants near Triangle or even the old town of Dumfries. You'll either have to go further north or south for those kind of options. I can't comment on Elementary schools as I was in High School when we moved to Triangle from Dumfries.

I had a classmate that used to live in the area you're looking. Great looking homes on larger lots. Too bad you have to drive through Williamstown and Port of Dumfries to get to them. Those two areas are pretty high crime.

I don't think you mentioned your housing budget. If you're willing to disclose, I think it'd give the other members a better idea of where to recommend. If I were to work in Ft. Belvoir, I think the southernmost area I'd want to live is off 234. Check out Montclair and the other neighborhoods off 234. Others have mentioned Lake Ridge and check out Belmont Bay if your budget allows. Some others to consider are Soutbridge and River Oaks. Unfortunately with River Oaks, it's adjacent to Georgetown Village and Village Gate. Another set of TH that are older and crime prone. I used to live in GV so I have first hand knowledge. There are also some great communities off of Cardinal Drive and Spriggs. Sorry I'm all over the place, but I'm buzzed on coffee from studying - lol

Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM

Since our BAH is publicly posted and easy to Google, I don't mind disclosing. It's $2739/mo. We *could* probably go as high as $2900/mo. for rent, but we'd rather not, of course. I've got a rental application in for a home in the Brook Farm subdivision, which is north Woodbridge, kind of sandwiched between Lake Ridge and Lorton off of Old Bridge Road. There's more than one applicant for the home, though, and we might not get it because the home is available July 1st and we can't move up there till August 1st.

I'm looking at homes in Port Potomac, Eagles Pointe, and Powell's Landing, and there are a couple that are slightly north of that area, but I don't know what the name of the neighborhood is. I have also seen a couple of homes listed that are off Cardinal Drive, like you mentioned.

Any other specific neighborhoods that you can think of?

Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times
Triangle has some nice communities and some very old neighborhoods with some not in very good shape. I would not send my kids to the schools in this district. BTW. It is not a city as someone else said but a large neighborhood within Prince William Co.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:31 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysta View Post
Since our BAH is publicly posted and easy to Google, I don't mind disclosing. It's $2739/mo. We *could* probably go as high as $2900/mo. for rent, but we'd rather not, of course. I've got a rental application in for a home in the Brook Farm subdivision, which is north Woodbridge, kind of sandwiched between Lake Ridge and Lorton off of Old Bridge Road. There's more than one applicant for the home, though, and we might not get it because the home is available July 1st and we can't move up there till August 1st.

I'm looking at homes in Port Potomac, Eagles Pointe, and Powell's Landing, and there are a couple that are slightly north of that area, but I don't know what the name of the neighborhood is. I have also seen a couple of homes listed that are off Cardinal Drive, like you mentioned.

Any other specific neighborhoods that you can think of?

I live off Cardinal Drive and most of the neighborhoods are pretty good there. The schools you might be zoned for, eh, not so much. If I were going to work in Ft. Belvoir, I would go more north. Look up in Belmont Bay and see what you can find there. Lorton is good too.

Getting up Rt. 1 from places like Dumfries, et al., is going to STINK. The traffic around Belvoir itself is bad enough that you don't need to deal with it in two places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia