Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger69 View Post
I haven't driven this often, but when I have, I found that the EZ Pass lanes in Delaware moved much faster than the cash lanes. So if you plan to make this trip regularly, getting an EZ Pass might help. More experienced travelers can chime in and correct me if necessary.
EZ-Pass makes every toll road easier, but it's as much in the mind as on the clock. I still do sometimes laugh diabolically while whizzing through, though. EZ-Pass is worth it if only just for that, but on a trip of any length, it won't make a noticeable difference in travel time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 AM

128 posts, read 413,505 times
Thanks everyone for the great tips!!! Luckily, we do have any EZ-Pass. This trip is planned for Friday, June 24th...am I being to hopeful to think that maybe there are less people travelling the weekend before the big 4th of July weekend ? We might just have to take the advice of leaving early Friday morning. Only thing is that we are staying with friends in Jersey City Friday night, and I don't want to arrive at their house before they get home from work at 6pm. I'm sure we can amuse ourselves before then, though. Thanks, again!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
There's still construction going on at that toll plaza and delays at it can be epic, even on a normal summer weekend. Dr. Gridlock in the Washington Post is always getting complaints about it.
I'm aware of it and will get to check their progress again in just about exactly two weeks. I'll file a first-hand report. Work is scheduled for completion shortly and is primarily affecting southbound traffic at the moment. That's Stimulus Bill money that's paying for it, and I'll gratefully look forward to EZ-Passing the place once the work is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
(Much worse on a holiday weekend obviously.)
Yes, holiday weekends require alternate planning. Typical weekends don't. DelDOT cancelled I-95 construction over the Memorial Day Weekend. Not sure what their plans are for July 4. It'll still be a mess either way.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:32 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Look at the Newark toll camera today about 3 PM to see what it will be like when you are going through there. Today is a typical summer weekend (probably even lighter than late June since schools are still in session). I just looked at it now at 11 AM in the morning and the Northbound lane looks very slow into the toll plaza. Make sure you look at the view before the toll plaza. After the toll plaza, it is free flowing. There are tolls in both directions, and they both back up regularly.

Delaware Department of Transportation - Live Camera Video

Here is another page on that site that tells the traffic delays. The northbound lanes were already delayed at 10:30 AM from the Maryland state line:
Delaware Department of Transportation - Real-Time Travel Advisory

I JUST drove this road in late April on a Tuesday early afternoon. The toll plaza was backed up a couple of miles. We go around the toll, but it was backed up past exit 109 which is the one we take to get around the toll. My parents came down here on May 20 (a Saturday morning) and lost 30 minutes at that toll plaza. Schools in Fairfax County get out on June 21. Many people will be leaving that weekend to go on vacation. If you can leave in the morning - after rush hour, I would definitely do that.

Yes, you can get lucky and get a light weekend. But, frankly, that is the exception rather than the rule on a Friday afternoon in summer.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
I say the worst traffic is getting into NYC in the afternoon. You'd think it'd be the opposite with commuters going back to the Jersey suburbs but oh no. The worst is when you're sitting in traffic and the Empire State Building rises in the horizon taunting you as you try maneuver bumper to bumper traffic. It shouldn't take more than 6 hours though.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:41 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
You could always take the bus or the Acela train you know. No hassle, just sit back, relax and let somebody else do the driving and the toll paying

Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 PM

128 posts, read 413,505 times
Thanks again, everyone!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
You could always take the bus or the Acela train you know. No hassle, just sit back, relax and let somebody else do the driving and the toll paying
True that. The bus is cheaper ($15-20 one way each) than driving if you're going solo or even as a couple. The acela train is a waste of money one can fly for the same price. Instead just take a regular train. That's what I'm doing myself in two weeks.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:42 PM

186 posts, read 488,269 times
I second taking the train...I have driven the NOVA to NY route for 15 years ...if you leave at 4AM you will cross the GW in 4 hours...other than that it can be very very ugly

Old 06-10-2011, 09:06 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I frequently drive this route at all hours, and can say that I would leave as early as possible on a summer Friday, either pre-DC rush hour or the post-rush hour. At one o'clock in the afternoon, you are looking at much heavier volume, especially in Delaware, but also parts of New Jersey.

The worst non-holiday summer weekend trip I experienced on this route took eight hours to the UES of Manhattan, and three and a half of that was getting through Baltimore. If traffic is especially horrendous, head west; avoid the I-95 Corridor entirely. You can take 270 to Route 15N, through Pennsylvania to Harrisburg. Just north of Harrisburg, take I-78E toward Allentown, and that will take you right to Jersey City. 78 is also the route to the Holland Tunnel, so there can be heavy traffic, once east of the Turnpike, but the rest of the drive is not bad at all. Since you want to go Jersey City, I would actually get off 78 at Route 1, just west of the Turnpike as opposed to continuing on 78 with the tunnel traffic that can be especially heavy in the afternoon.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia