Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 PM

49 posts, read 83,994 times

Advertisements

We used to do the opposite quite frequently- NYC to NOVA, it was no fun most of the year and a nightmare in the summer.

I would suggest if possible, leave later Friday night (after 10 pm) or really early Sat.

There were a few times when we got off the NJ turnpike and took small back roads to try and get around some of the traffic. Honestly though, I'm not sure it saved a whole lot of time, but at least we were moving and the country roads were more scenic than sitting in traffic.

I don't know which roads these were, we keep a map in the car and I would just start looking for shortcuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 PM

10 posts, read 143,568 times
We did this trip a few weeks ago.

We left Fairfax at around 4:45 PM. We stopped in Delaware for half an hour (the tolls weren't bad) but getting around 495 took a long long time. We made it to NYC right around 11 PM.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,474,376 times
I was forced to drive today, after not being able to get to the airport on time this morning because of the traffic, due to the closures. Trains were booked, and I had dinner plans, so it was the car.

I left late for a Friday, but well before school dismissal at about 12:45. The weather was spotty from Delaware, bug there were volume delays between the storms. I took I-95 to the Turnpike and rolled into Manhattan at 6:45, with a ten minute stop for inexpensive fuel in NJ, well comparatively inexpensive. Next week, with schools out and beach season in full swing, I would expect the same result.

The Delaware toll mess slowed traffic to a crawl about two miles out, followed by five miles of slow traffic to get to the merge for the bridge and 295/Turnpike. The construction in NJ on the south end of the Turnpije also caused delays, as did the Maryland work zones that can have photo speed enforcement. Overall, the drive was fairly tedious owing to weather, volume, and construction zones, so next week I would definitely stand by the recommendation to leave early, or avoid the entire I-95 corridor by using an alternate route.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM

128 posts, read 414,566 times
Thanks! We are planning on leaving Herndon, Va between 9am and 10am on Friday...and, will most likely take an alternative route. I'll let you know how it goes! Wish me luck !

Old 06-27-2011, 05:11 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,531,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'm aware of it and will get to check their progress again in just about exactly two weeks. I'll file a first-hand report.
Just to follow up, the new EZ-Pass lanes were both open in Delaware this past weekend. Never so much as slowed down for the plaza on an off-peak northbound trip. Took in the Phillies game on the way home Sunday, so we were pretty much forced into peak travel on the return. Traffic was of course heavy and there were four or five slowdowns on 95 between Wilmington and the Maryland House, including about a mile or so leading up to the EZ-Pass lane divide in Delaware. Best advice continues to be to get EZ-Pass (you'll be glad you did) and travel during off-peak hours whenever you can. DelDOT says there may still be intermittent closures for last minute details, but for the most part, Delaware toll booth construction can be taken off the 95-to-NYC list of fears. It's effectively done and out of the way at this point.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,505,094 times
I once sat on the Jersey turnpike for hours in sit still traffic coming back home from Manhattan on a sunday afternoon. But this was years ago...

Old 06-27-2011, 09:16 AM

49 posts, read 83,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I once sat on the Jersey turnpike for hours in sit still traffic coming back home from Manhattan on a sunday afternoon. But this was years ago...
This happened to us too a few years back. There were people literally sitting outside of their cars and walking around. We were traveling back to NY from DC. Sundays were always horrid. I called them "sucky summer Sundays".

Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,531,638 times
Well, somebody has to be out there in the peak, otherwise it wouldn't be the peak. I've had 7- and 8-hour horror trips also, but on the other hand we drove up through the tail end of a 2006 blizzard and still made it in less than five hours. The latter is much more the norm. Heck, there have been nights when it took 7 or 8 hours to get to Vienna/Oakton from Federal Triangle, but 30 minutes and change might be a better estimate...

Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 PM

128 posts, read 414,566 times
I'm back! I want to thank everyone again for the great traffic/travel tips! I followed the advice of bmwguydc and ICS67, and I'm so glad I did! I highly recommend travelling the western route through Harrisburg, PA (especially if you live west of DC). The ride was smooth, fast, and scenic. We had a bit of congestion around Harrisburg and on the way back on Rt. 15 to Leesburg, but the latter was strictly due to an event at Morven Park. The rest was smooth-sailing. Thanks, again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia