Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:18 PM

402 posts, read 1,407,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcinvan View Post
. . . a huge culture shock. . . . TV shows and I can only hope that it is not an accurate portrayal! . . . If I can give her some assurances of what school will be like, I think it will be very helpful. . . .
Middle-schoolers are VERY hormonal. Most girls in this age group are into fashion, boys, texting, music, and sports.

What you see on TV and in movies are dramatized versions of the most intense cliques and social rivalries. These things will not occur on the same scale and frequency as they do on TV & in the movies. Drama equals ratings. Movies about everyday kids in boring routine school activites would flop at the box office.

Most schools have social butterflies, drama queens, jocketts, emo-kids, brainy kids, geeks, and invisible kids, etc. She will identify with a certain group and gravitate towards those kids. Some cliques accept newcomers faster than others. A good musician or an amazing athlete is usually accepted quickly because she is an asset.

Being from another country will be viewed positively by many kids who are very curious.

Find out what the girls there wear (brands & styles) and buy things that will make your daughters blend in. Sports and clubs are the fastest way to form friendships. I would sign her up for whatever she is interested in--right away and have her meet girls in your new neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 AM

204 posts, read 666,660 times
I have a 12 yr old daughter in middle school in Prince William County. I did my school counseling internship at a middle and have recently been subbing at a middle in the same county.

I must agree with all comments made so far. Middle Schoolers are hormonal....there are many different groups/cliques and they all seem to be trying to figure out where they belong. Hopefully they will by the time they get to high school. Middle Schoolers are noisy and loud. My daughters school is 6-8th and has 1500 students in it. It is hard for me to adjust to the noise level when I am there, but she seems fine, and she is a pretty quiet girl most of the time.

If your daughter is outgoing and from another country she will make friends. The clothes they all seem to wear come from Aeropostale, American Eagle, Abercrombie, and Hollister. Most of these stores have outlet stores as well as regular retail stores in northern VA.

In my opinion the girls have it a bit tougher in middle school. Many queen bees really emerge and the drama heats up!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,071,776 times
Quote:
What are middle school kids like?
Small, feral animals.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 AM

23 posts, read 54,398 times
LOL reebo!

Thanks for the clothing recommendations! We just got Hollister in Vancouver and we do have American Eagle so am familiar with those brands. Very good to know! My kids wear a uniform to school now so we are entering a new world of brand envy and keeping up with the Joneses! My DH has never really had an interest in clothes as she goes from uniform to dance outfits most days.

I guess we will be having a HUGE back to school shopping trip this year!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,107 times
Welcome back to Virginia,if u choose Alex...please let her
attend any other school except GW,my daughter and I hav
Great communication and the things I hear,and im close
With some of her friends and they confirmed my concerns.
The students and some of the staff should just hang out like
friends,they talk like the kids,kids are way to grown and lack of
respect,I truly believe theres a small percent of respectful young
ladys there,my daughter included.I have a son there ,always
Worried,my daughter will graduate from there im glad.Shes outgoing,
Caring,and withstood alot,her major challenge was she was
mixed w/curly hair,lite lite skin(6girls and1boy) wanted to jump
Her,she wasnt the only one,girls of all nationality dpeak openingly
on what types of sex they experienced with who and enjoy tellg it.
Im just blessed,my daughter is movg on now and (isnt a follower),this is KEY..

Old 06-13-2011, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,107 times
If u move to alex.va dont chose GW Middle school,Thanks
God my daughter isnt a Follower,she would
probally be disrespectful probally on her 2 nd child or
Kicked out.She made it thru,she tells me so many
unbelievable thgs,all the way down to girls and their
sexual behaviors,thgs I havent even done and Im 40,the girls
OMG,The teacher(some talk like they do)they pick n chose whose
at fault,and just may suspend the truthful child.I hav son there
cant wait for him to get out of there(boys are another story),and
I worry..school is not lik it was before ive horribly learned...Just
Ask kids about GW Middle school.I did go to Francis C
Hammond,they were somewhat strict,dont hear much bad about
them,except hispanic gangs,but our children we can talk to about
that,if I had to choose,i would transfer my son to Hammond..Good luck.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,904,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Small, feral animals.
Truer words have never been spoken!
Esp. Middle school girls.

Lots of newcommers and kids are very accepting etc... We moved my daughter in MS and she did have a pretty smooth transition.

Just know MS girls can be the creulest nastiest creatures on earth to each other, even thier friends. (Everywhere) They are insecure, hormonal, moody etc... But thankfully they return to normal around 15!!

We have 3 girls...2 down (now in HS) and 1 to go (6th)....I may atually survive afterall!

You will really enjoy NOVA and all it has to offer, it's busy but it's beautiful and filled with TONS of activites etc... Schools across the board are very good, Most are xcellent, a few need improvement.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:52 AM

139 posts, read 315,282 times
ROFL. I am a middle school teacher and I love those feral animals! They are a challenge but they are fun to teach for the most part.

I just wanted to ask is your oldest daugther in 6th going to 7th or going to be a 6th grader? Here, 6th grade is still in elementary school, which would be great for her if she is indeed going into 6th.

Just wanted to throw that in there. We are newcomers to the area and I will be teaching 6th grade gifted children at one of the elementary schools. They have some wonderful programs in Fairfax County.

On the other hand, my son will be a Sophomore at a new high school and we are from the deep south, so I do know how you feel. I have been through this with him at 6th grade, 7th grade and now 10th. As mothers, we cannot help but worry about them and feel for them.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 31,478 times
I'm a middle school teacher and being a new student in Fairfax school is pretty normal. If she is a 7th grader, she'll be entering brand new like all students and they have excellent get to know your school programs. For example, my school has a week long program in the summer where they go to classes for 3 hours a day and learn organizing tips, locker tips, and get to know the school/teachers. It's a great way for her to meet other students. There's also an orientation the day before school starts where they can go through their schedule and meet their teachers for 7th and 8th graders. Every year there are a lot of brand new students to the county, and there are a bunch that join mid-year too. I would say that every year I get 5 students added to my classes once school has started. That's a harder transition, so if she's starting at the beginning of the school year things should be fine! Like others have said, middle schoolers are trying to discover themselves and are pretty open to most things!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:58 PM

7 posts, read 31,478 times
I forgot to mention that there are after school programs with late busses in Fairfax. This is a great way for her to get to know other students. There are all kinds of clubs/sports that she can get involved in to meet to new people. Plus, transportation home is provided with a late bus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia