Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 PM

139 posts, read 315,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtenlin View Post
I'm a middle school teacher and being a new student in Fairfax school is pretty normal. If she is a 7th grader, she'll be entering brand new like all students and they have excellent get to know your school programs. For example, my school has a week long program in the summer where they go to classes for 3 hours a day and learn organizing tips, locker tips, and get to know the school/teachers. It's a great way for her to meet other students. There's also an orientation the day before school starts where they can go through their schedule and meet their teachers for 7th and 8th graders. Every year there are a lot of brand new students to the county, and there are a bunch that join mid-year too. I would say that every year I get 5 students added to my classes once school has started. That's a harder transition, so if she's starting at the beginning of the school year things should be fine! Like others have said, middle schoolers are trying to discover themselves and are pretty open to most things!
Agree with all of that. I do have a question. You mention the summer program for new students, do the high schools have anything like that? Just curious. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 31,474 times
In middle school we have 3 different week long programs available for students to attend, I don't think they do that in the summer for high school. I know that the high school my school feeds into does a bbq the Friday before school starts. Students can pick up their schedules, eat food, and then walk through their classes. Because it starts at 5pm, I'm not sure it's like in middle school where they go to each class for 10 minutes, get to meet their teacher, and then the bell rings for them to go to their next class. Since it's later in the night, I don't know if teachers would be there. There is a mentoring program that they can apply for in the high school. It pairs a senior up with a freshman and they meet with them during study halls to make sure all is going well. Students have to apply to have a mentor and students have to apply to be a mentor and get recommendations. I'm not as familiar with high school, sorry!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:34 PM

139 posts, read 315,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtenlin View Post
In middle school we have 3 different week long programs available for students to attend, I don't think they do that in the summer for high school. I know that the high school my school feeds into does a bbq the Friday before school starts. Students can pick up their schedules, eat food, and then walk through their classes. Because it starts at 5pm, I'm not sure it's like in middle school where they go to each class for 10 minutes, get to meet their teacher, and then the bell rings for them to go to their next class. Since it's later in the night, I don't know if teachers would be there. There is a mentoring program that they can apply for in the high school. It pairs a senior up with a freshman and they meet with them during study halls to make sure all is going well. Students have to apply to have a mentor and students have to apply to be a mentor and get recommendations. I'm not as familiar with high school, sorry!
Thanks! That is helpful!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 AM

23 posts, read 54,369 times
Thanks! That is very helpful! Would these orientations occur at the end of Aug? We won't be there until prob after Aug 22. I mean the week long orientation!

Last edited by abcinvan; 06-20-2011 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 06-20-2011, 08:09 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,957,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcinvan View Post
Thanks! That is very helpful! Would these orientations occur at the end of Aug? We won't be there until prob after Aug 22. I mean the week long orientation!
It varies by school, and not all middle schools have it. The program is called "Jump start". Once you figure out where you're living, you can contact the school to see what sort of orientation programs they have available. At the very least, there will probably be a summer math/reading packet you can pick up to get your daughter ready for the academics she's about to encounter.

Quote:
Langston Hughes Middle School is proud to invite all rising 7th grade students to Jumpstart Camp! This is an exciting opportunity for all students to become familiar with middle school before the school year begins. Students will meet peers from all of the neighborhood elementary schools. This will be a great time to make new friends and get a JUMPSTART on the 2011-2012 school year! The camp will run from August 15 to August 19.
Langston Hughes Middle School

Quote:
[SIZE=+1]"Jump Start" Summer Program - August 22-25, 8 am - 11 am[/SIZE]
"Jump Start" is a free summer program designed to help incoming 7th grade students and some 8th grade students new to the county adjust to middle school. Jump Start is a fun way to learn study skills, make new friends, and learn how to be successful at South County Secondary School
South County Secondary School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia