Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times

Advertisements

Kudzu is a wildly aggressive vine that is moving northward. Like something out of a horror movie, it can cover (and smother) large trees and sometimes entire groves of trees. Photos have been published of it swallowing abandoned cars and buildings.

It used to extend only as far north as Richmond, but lately has been spotted in New York. I saw some down in Mason Neck, so I know it's in Nova.

So my question is.... have you seen any dramatic patches around here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 06:50 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
I'm from Georgia, so I know kudzu. I don't recall seeing any around here.

Down there, people use it to make baskets, jelly, soap, and all kinds of stuff. Might as well use it if you've got it.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I'm from Georgia, so I know kudzu. I don't recall seeing any around here.

Down there, people use it to make baskets, jelly, soap, and all kinds of stuff. Might as well use it if you've got it.
I think we ought to chop it up, mix with a little asphalt, and use it for street paving.

If somebody could come up with a way to turn it into fuel, they'd make a fortune. Talk about the ultimate renewable resource.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:06 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
My neighbor and I spent five years conquering kudzu that had gotten loose on a lot between our properties. A couple of years after that, a builder put a new house on that lot, and the second year, the kudzu returned. Apparently, he unearthed some surviving underground runners with his digging. This is the third year of trying to contain that new outbreak, and we seem to have it under control at the present time. So, that would be about a dozen years, all told. Over those years, it has killed quite a number of trees, ranging from 40-foot pines to dogwoods to large specimen crepe myrtles. The last thing you want to see around your yard this year is some vine with beautiful clustered purple-and-white blossoms on it. That would be kudzu...

Old 06-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Oh man, sounds like an epic battle. We've been lucky so far out my way but I suppose sooner or later I'll have to learn how to deal with it. Sag, what are you two doing to contain it?

Old 06-11-2011, 06:30 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Basically, cut it and dig it as deep and as far and as often as you possibly can. It's laborious work. Very tough to do in the summer heat. The ground-level runners can extend for hundreds of feet and they develop rooting sub-stations along the way. The underground runners are usually ½-1 inch in diameter, but older ones can be 2-3 inches and spawn thousands of feet of vine above ground. Fortunately, the leaves and runners are quite distinctive once you are used to them, so the stuff is fairly easy to spot. Also fortunately for us in NoVa, a cold winter will seriously set kudzu back. There was less to do this Spring than I had feared, but I expect the Fall will still call for a major assault.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:38 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times
Oh yes - I even saw lots north of here in MD.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:43 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Yes, there is lots of Kudzu in the DC - MD - NoVA area. Even 20 years ago, I saw some near Lebanon, PA.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:16 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
I've seen it down by Mount Vernon. There isn't any near me that I know of. Maybe the deer eat it? Deer vs. kudzu would be the ultimate showdown.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,346 times
Well that's just what I want to hear. I wondered what that stuff was. I noticed this year I have some strange pretty little purple and white flowers all over a portion of my yard and it is connected to vines. I've got about a 30x30 ft. spread. The leaves are about 2" across. It also has a certain smell to it. On the other side of the yard I've got some smaller vines in a lighter green where the leaves are about 1/4 to 1/2" across. Same thing?? And that's only what I've paid attention to. There's probably more. I'm in southern Culpeper Co. Can anyone post a picture? I'm not set up to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia