Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,176,932 times

Advertisements

You and Adam have turned this into very condescending elitist thread.

I hate few people but elitist who look down their noses and consider others inferior in ANY way are definitely a type of person who I hate. Not just their actions, the person themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 03:00 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,959,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
There are only 3 schools in the country that could make that blatant of a claim- MIT, Stanford, and Cal Tech. Everyone else just gets lumped into the group of top tier engineering programs. GT, Berkeley, Purdue, Michigan, VT, etc are all looked at equally by employers that I've had exposure to.
Don't forget Rose-Hulman and Harvey Mudd . If you are topping off at a BS_E, they are right there with MIT/Cal Tech/Stanford. They just don't do a PhD program so they don't get ranked the same.

I've got friends from high school who went to both. Everyone is always "wow, Rose-Hulman" lol. They guy who went to R-H even ran Cross Country there - that's another thing to consider, if you fancy yourself an athlete smaller LA or tech schools offer the chance to play sports at an intercollegate level (sure DIII or similar non scholarship level). Sure he was a ~33:00 10Ker, but that won't get you on the team at a top school - W&M #7 runner runs a 32:00 flat as does UVA's #6

Old 06-15-2011, 03:14 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,959,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
You sound a bit defensive. Glad you picked a good school for your major. I used US News and World Report because it's the most publicized ranking overall for schools in the united states
Not defensive. The only relation I have to any Virginia school was that my first studio instructor had just gotten his M.Arch from UVa and was a cool guy.

Just pointing out an alternative ranking system (which in itself had many, many facets of ranking). Which, also, as these graphics show, are fairly volatile (VT is 4th here for B.Arch, tied with Cal Poly SLO) and kinda silly to use - even though any school in almost any top 10 is a good school (Playboy's top 10 party schools being an exception )

Infographic design: Kiss Me I’m Polish LLC, New York

Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 PM

132 posts, read 325,074 times
Carnegie Mellon has the best computer science program in the country, hands down. You have to assess the strength of individual programs first before you consider the overall rankings of the school. CMU also has a very good engineering program but it is clearly not as prestigious as its CS school.

VT is very good in architecture. It has a good engineering program but it's not in the league of UIUC, UC Berkley or GT.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,352,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novajs View Post
VT is very good in architecture. It has a good engineering program but it's not in the league of UIUC, UC Berkley or GT.
Funny that one of the ugliest buildings on the Berkeley campus is the architecture building (technically the Environmental Design building).

Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,718,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post

I hate few people but elitist who look down their noses and consider others inferior in ANY way are definitely a type of person who I hate. Not just their actions, the person themselves.
Report those threads if you feel this way. It may help.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 PM

139 posts, read 315,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post

And for that very reason, being newcomers to NoVa, there are certain high schools that I have chosen AVOID as we have a son who is a rising sophomore. We are your average mid to upper middle class family, all with Masters Degrees and good jobs. However, I am not a school snob and have looked more for a place where our son will be comfortable, happy, and accepted as opposed to the name of the high school. Happiness comes first like someone said earlier. Of course, you have to know who you are and what makes you happy before you can make those choices.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:28 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,607,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
According to Design Intelligence (industry standard for this kind of stuff), architecture schools nationwide are ranked this way:
VT has the 3rd most admired professional bachelor's architecture school in the country. UVA does not have a B.Arch program, they have a M.Arch, and aren't in the top 5.

No Virginia school is in the top 10 for engineering schools.
UVA has the 5th best undergrad business program in the country.
go to archinect and ask them what they think of the DI rankings. Its way less respected than USNWR (with all its issues) basically they ask practitioners what schools they like - which tends to bias it toward programs with lots alums.

Not saying VTech isnt a strong Arch program - but I wouldnt go only by the DI ranking.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:32 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,607,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdumaU View Post
Where you go to school does matter to your employer, at least for your first job out of college. Alot of the big companies are going to be recruiting at UVa, VT, and W&M and not the others.

folks who to less sought after schools, and folks who major in LA, are going to have to spend more time networking into opportunities, instead of relying on on campus recruiting.

I dont know that thats got to be a deal breaker. They just need to be aware of it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia