Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,622,421 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever tried to date someone seriously that lives in DC? I am really diggin' this guy but he has reservations because of the distance. I try telling him its not "that" far. Has anyone ever tried this before? I live in Centreville he lives near the van ness metro stop. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 PM

6,567 posts, read 8,413,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Has anyone here ever tried to date someone seriously that lives in DC? I am really diggin' this guy but he has reservations because of the distance. I try telling him its not "that" far. Has anyone ever tried this before? I live in Centreville he lives near the van ness metro stop. Thanks!
How about the old cliche: Distance makes the heart grow fonder?

We weren't "city mouse"/"country mouse" but I dated my DH long-distance (90 minutes apart) for the first year and a half of our relationship. We're coming up on our 13th year anniversary of being together.

If you feel a connection (and that can be difficult to find), then it's worth at least giving it a try.

The downside to dating someone long distance (and frankly, I don't consider your situation long distance) is that you can't do spontaneous dates. You can't call them up and say "Hey, I'm bored. Let's go see a movie or get a beer or whatever". You have to make plans a little in advance. The upside is that you appreciate the time you do get to spend with them so much more.

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 PM

560 posts, read 1,293,090 times
IMO it depends on whether you are looking for something serious. If you are, then at some point in time you would have to decide where you would both will live. Most people that live in DC don’t like the suburbs, do you like city living?

As for me, it’s just easier meeting single (older) dudes near me. Not everyone on grindr is trashy.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:25 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,109,207 times
One upside is that both of you get to explore a part of town you might not know that well. It's fun to show off your favorite little nooks and crannies. Commute are not fun, though, so it could end up being a short relationship. OTOH you never know--my husband lived in another city for several months when we first started dating and it gave us a chance to have some deep conversations over the phone that we might not have had if we had lived right down the street from each other.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 AM

353 posts, read 906,482 times
Yes, I dated someone who lived in DC when I lived 8 hours away. IMO 90 minutes is not long distance.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,109,207 times
If you date some people who live in your state and others who live outside your state, does that make you bi-stateual?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:36 PM

430 posts, read 1,060,350 times
I think it depends on the two of you. For me, I would not do it, because I am getting divorced and we dated for 3 years prior to marriage and we lived a little over an hour apart. That caused us to be mostly electronic and phone relationship and thus communication issues came up once we lived together and saw each other each day. That is just me and my situation. I know how I am now and learned a lot. My next relationship will have to be near me or else the same will happen again. But like I started with, each person is different.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:41 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,807,461 times
I dated my husband long distance from the time I met him. He lived in Greensboro, NC, and I lived in Bethesda. I know what ghett61 is saying about long distance relationships being different. We only talked on the phone during the week and saw each other on weekends, so it was always like a vacation - either touring around North Carolina or around DC. Having said that, we transitioned well into married life and will be celebrating our 12th anniversary in October.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,622,421 times
Thanks for all the wonderful advice and personal experiences. I am not sure what is going to come of it but I am excited to see. And yes I think I would like the city life.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:47 PM

206 posts, read 432,785 times
No, I don't bother. It's a complete waste of time. And I live in Alexandria! That used to be Washington DC.

People in DC act as if leaving the city is like... crossing the border into another country. It's like coming to Alexandria would be an event... a day trip, or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia