Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:34 AM

320 posts, read 713,723 times

Advertisements

Wegman's was running out of the canned spaghetti and meatballs. Hopefully we won't lose our power but buried power lines have to come up eventually --- hoping that connection can withstand the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 11:48 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
Wegman's was running out of the canned spaghetti and meatballs. Hopefully we won't lose our power but buried power lines have to come up eventually --- hoping that connection can withstand the wind.
Eww...that is the last thing I would eat even if it was my only option! I don't see how we would lose power in most areas - especially the newer ones with buried lines. Irene seems like she wants to give us a break!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:52 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,427,101 times
Hurricanes dont do well over land, thats why only coastal areas get slammed. They need the warm water to give them strength. I bet we'll see some good tropical storm conditions and /or outer bands effects.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,178,753 times
My bet is we'll get about 3" rain, and winds around 20-30 mph with maybe a few gusts up to 60. Big wazoo. Some of the westernmost burbs won't even get that much rain.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM

5,673 posts, read 5,112,471 times
My flight's been cancelled!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm outta here on the first flight Monday morning!

So now, after everything's been picked over, we have to go shopping. Lessee... toilet paper, milk.... and I see all the canned spaghetti has been claimed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I'm fleeing to the Carribean for a week!

Aruba!

Let's see...

Plane tickets... check
Snorkel gear... check
Travel policy
on my gal....... check
Alibi .............. check
Escape plan ... check

OK, I'm all set!!

(hmmm... should I check to see if she's taken out a policy on me??? )

(Just kidding... she's not even blonde! )

Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM

230 posts, read 760,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Hurricanes dont do well over land, thats why only coastal areas get slammed. They need the warm water to give them strength. I bet we'll see some good tropical storm conditions and /or outer bands effects.
Being a survivor of Hurricane Hugo many years ago I can assure you that some hurricanes CAN keep strength and do well over land! I was living near Shaw AFB, Sumter SC when Hurricane Hugo traveled 100+ miles inland from the coastline at Myrtle Beach SC with 110+ mile-an-hour winds! There was enormous damage to the military base and all surrounding residential areas including locations many miles well beyond Sumter SC. My house and yard had significant damage. It was absolutely a horrifying experience to go through! I just couldn't believe that a hurricane could travel over land that far inland and cause the amount of damage that it did! So I am a firm believer that you must be prepared for a any hurricane, even if you are located a ways inland from the coastline.

Last edited by LVMYDACH; 08-26-2011 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 03:32 PM

17,625 posts, read 16,798,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I'm further north now, but I was thinking hurricane, schmurricane and then I remembered the 4 days I spent without power after Isabel, which was barely even a hurricane when it hit VA (if I remember correctly). I think a good number of people were without power for 3+ days. The first night was fun (ate all the ice cream and drank the bucket of margaritas in my freezer) but not having power (and hot water) grew old pretty quickly. I ended up going to visit friends since my office didn't have power either.
Isabel made a believer out of me, too. All the downed trees and powerlines. Lots of flooded basements and roads. Just an all around mess.

We lost our power and water for 2 or 3 days. Our kids were little at the time and, believe me, those were some very l-o-n-g days for us. Luckily we had filled our bathtub with water right before the storm - we were able to use buckets of tub water to flush the toilet.

We had some food in the pantry and we also happened to have bottled water to drink and just enough batteries for our flashlights/portable radio. We were lucky to have a regular plug in type phone to use because the cordless phones don't work during power outages and cell phones are only as good as their charge. Cars had plenty of gas (which was good because gas station pumps need electricity to work, or so I've been told).

If the power and/or water had been off any longer, we would have driven to a hotel.

Last edited by springfieldva; 08-26-2011 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,971,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
Being a survivor of Hurricane Hugo many years ago I can assure you that some hurricanes CAN keep strength and do well over land! I was living near Shaw AFB, Sumter SC when Hurricane Hugo traveled 100+ miles inland from the coastline at Myrtle Beach SC with 110+ mile-an-hour winds! There was enormous damage to the military base and all surrounding residential areas including locations many miles well beyond Sumter SC. My house and yard had significant damage. It was absolutely a horrifying experience to go through! I just couldn't believe that a hurricane could travel over land that far inland and cause the amount of damage that it did! So I am a firm believer that you must be prepared for a any hurricane, even if you are located a ways inland from the coastline.
I second this, hurricanes can remain very strong over land. I remember Hurricane Hazel in 1954 (yes, I am an old lady!). I lived about 110 miles from Sterling in the hills of WV. It was a very strong storm, blew a tree over in our yard. I still remember it, so it must have been very frightening.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:44 PM

4,443 posts, read 4,884,250 times

Come On Irene Song - YouTube

Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 PM

560 posts, read 1,296,597 times
Looks like the outer bands are getting close to Virginia-

NWS - National Mosaic Enhanced Radar Image: Full Resolution Loop

Safeway was packed tonite, most of the milk bottles gone…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia