Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,263,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedinVA View Post
Thank you for the information . . . I may PM you for more indepth info at some point if that is ok?
Feel free to PM. I didn't mention in my previous post I have also been to an open house at the Peppermint Ct house.

Also, great information (assessed value, recent sales, house square feet, lot size) can be gotten from the Fairfax County property website.
http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/Searc...x?mode=ADDRESS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 PM

505 posts, read 767,399 times
Quote:
A lot of good posts and I do have a question, is part of Chantilly in Loudon County and the other in Fairfax?
Chantilly 20151 zip is Fairfax and 20152 is Loudoun. A large part of the houses in the 20152 zip are part of the South Riding planned community. Sometimes you will see addresses there listed as South Riding or sometimes as Chantilly, but either can be used.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 AM

17 posts, read 17,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
Chantilly 20151 zip is Fairfax and 20152 is Loudoun. A large part of the houses in the 20152 zip are part of the South Riding planned community. Sometimes you will see addresses there listed as South Riding or sometimes as Chantilly, but either can be used.
That really helps as the 20151 would have our child attending the Chantilly high school I presume. Should be an interesting 4 days in VA trying to figure out which way is up!

Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,602,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If this is a concern, I suggest the OP check job listings and see where the openings are that might appeal to his wife. IMO, when she chooses to look for work she has an equal chance of finding a job she really loves in Chantilly. Or Herndon. Or McLean. Or Reston. Or Leesburg. You might be surprised at how many companies are outside the beltway. The days when you had to go into DC to find a good job are long behind us.
A very large number of the good jobs that aren't in DC are close in (Crystal City, Roslyn-Ballston corridor) and many further out are in Tyson's - is Tyson's not still the second largest employment concentration in the metro area? The corridor from Reston to Leesburg is certainly a major employment center, but its not just that vs DC.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:25 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,167,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
A very large number of the good jobs that aren't in DC are close in (Crystal City, Roslyn-Ballston corridor) and many further out are in Tyson's - is Tyson's not still the second largest employment concentration in the metro area? The corridor from Reston to Leesburg is certainly a major employment center, but its not just that vs DC.
Of course there are good jobs in the inner burbs. That wasn't the point. The OP expressed an interest in Chantilly. Another poster insinuated that he should look closer to DC because the "good jobs" for his wife would be in DC. I disagreed, pointing out that there are plenty of good jobs in Chantilly, as well as other communities near Dulles.

Just to be crystal clear, let me add that good jobs can be found in all parts of northern VA. The point was simply that the OP does not need to be worried about his wife being able to find a good job.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Of course there are good jobs in the inner burbs. That wasn't the point. The OP expressed an interest in Chantilly. Another poster insinuated that he should look closer to DC because the "good jobs" for his wife would be in DC. I disagreed, pointing out that there are plenty of good jobs in Chantilly, as well as other communities near Dulles.

Just to be crystal clear, let me add that good jobs can be found in all parts of northern VA. The point was simply that the OP does not need to be worried about his wife being able to find a good job.

Depending on exactly what her speciality is, it would not be silly for a family where a person is expecting to go back to work, but who doesnt know where, and is in finance, to try be a tad closer to the center of the metro area. Being closer in to both DC, N Arlington, and Tysons could be something that they will be happy about in terms of job convenience - and they can do that without making the reverse commute to potential jobs in Chantilly, Herndon, Ashburn, etc, much worse. Of course that would imply a tradeoff in the price of any given size or quality of house. I could see going either way. I read Sag as simply pointing out the benefit to a job searcher of a more central location, which I beleive is real.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:01 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,119,008 times
Quote:
That really helps as the 20151 would have our child attending the Chantilly high school I presume. Should be an interesting 4 days in VA trying to figure out which way is up!
Most of 20151 is zoned for Chantilly HS. A small portion of the zip code feeds into Westfield HS.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,167,925 times
DC, Tysons and N. Arlington are not an easy drive to Dulles Airport, and OP wants to be near that airport.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
DC, Tysons and N. Arlington are not an easy drive to Dulles Airport, and OP wants to be near that airport.
Would Reston be a shorter drive to Tyson's than Chantilly is? I dont know all the traffic patterns in that neck of the woods, so I dont want to suggest specific alternatives. Thats what I thought Sag had in mind in suggesting looking closer in - places slightly closer to the beltway - not places inside the beltway. Or maybe places at least closer to the silver line (though assuming one is driving to the Silver line, Im not sure a relatively minor difference in distance to the station matters much in terms of time)

Old 09-21-2011, 02:48 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,119,008 times
Quote:
I haven't read enough of the posts to have a view on what might work best for the OP, but I do consider the drive to Dulles from Tysons to be pretty easy - just get on the Dulles Toll Road from Route 123 and head west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia