Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:54 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,159,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Would Reston be a shorter drive to Tyson's than Chantilly is?
Either would be an ok commute, but it's a moot point. There is no need to travel to Tysons. OP is not working in Tysons and when the time comes for his wife to look for a job, she will be able to find one in Reston, Herndon, Chantilly, or any of the other communities closer to Dulles Airport. There are a huge number of companies near the airport, many of whom are hiring. Just a few days ago we got a postcard from TASC announcing $$$ for anyone who will refer employees for their offices in Chantilly and Herndon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I haven't read enough of the posts to have a view on what might work best for the OP, but I do consider the drive to Dulles from Tysons to be pretty easy - just get on the Dulles Toll Road from Route 123 and head west.
It's not horrible, but remember that it has to be a round trip since his wife will be dropping him off at the airport and then heading home (or he'll be taking taxis, which adds up). Just my opinion, but if you fly significantly, it's worth it to live near the airport.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:06 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,598,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Either would be an ok commute, but it's a moot point. There is no need to travel to Tysons. OP is not working in Tysons and when the time comes for his wife to look for a job, she will be able to find one in Reston, Herndon, Chantilly, or any of the other communities closer to Dulles Airport. There are a huge number of companies near the airport, many of whom are hiring. Just a few days ago we got a postcard from TASC announcing $$$ for anyone who will refer employees for their offices in Chantilly and Herndon.
Without knowing her specialty, experience, career goals, etc you can't be sure of that statement. Just because Company A is hiring, does not mean person X will get a job with Company A - questions of speciality, experience level, fit, etc all play a role. Unless those are relatively generic jobs, and a generic job is what OP is looking for.

Perhaps OP clarified that above and I missed it, in which I case I apologize for skimming.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
It's not horrible, but remember that it has to be a round trip since his wife will be dropping him off at the airport and then heading home (or he'll be taking taxis, which adds up). Just my opinion, but if you fly significantly, it's worth it to live near the airport.
I assumed he was in consulting, marketing, or some similar field where his client or employer would pay for the cab fare to the airport. I know when I was in consulting you expensed your cab fare to the airport.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,115,714 times
Quote:
I can't really imagine that, unless you're a pilot or stewardess, Tysons would not be considered an easy drive to Dulles on the Toll Road (taking the express lane to the airport). But everyone has his or her own perspective, my own shaped from having endured far worse commutes into DC at various times.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:

TASC Careers

The "hot jobs" TASC lists on their site, for the Chantilly office. are for a software development engineer and for a capture manager. If you want to be an Information Assurance Test Engineer with them, it looks like Indian Head, Maryland is the place to be. If I read their website correctly, it seems like having an active security clearance would also help immensely.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I can't really imagine that, unless you're a pilot or stewardess, Tysons would not be considered an easy drive to Dulles on the Toll Road (taking the express lane to the airport). But everyone has his or her own perspective, my own shaped from having endured far worse commutes into DC at various times.
Well, you may be right. I haven't tried this commute so I can't really say but it seems longish to me. I drive my husband to IAD, and even our 7 mile commute to the airport can get old--but that's just us.

OP, since you're coming out to take a look, if you find yourself interested in living closer to Tysons I suggest trying the drive to Dulles Airport for yourself and seeing what you think. Try it during rush hour, if that's when you'll be driving to Dulles.

The same goes for the job question. IMO your wife will have no problem finding job openings in the communities near Dulles Airport. However, if this is a concern, the best thing you can do is take a look at job openings for yourself, since only you know the person in question and her needs.

Chantilly is a lovely community. I know many there who love it, and it sounds like a very good fit for you, IMO. On the other hand, the closer in burbs have good points, too. I have a feeling you're going to end up liking Chantilly the best, but take a look at everything. At this point, the thing to do is come out and see for yourself.

Just be aware that wherever you decide to live, this issue about your wife's ability to find a job is silly. Honestly, the scare tactics some of you suburb bashers resort to are sad. OP, if you have any doubts about this check it out for yourself. That's really the best way to know.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,625 times
It depends on the field. I work in IT and will likely be able to work for the foreseeable future without having to go further in than 7100. Not all fields can say that (especially those law and gov-related for whom Tysons is the "remote office.")

Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 AM

17 posts, read 17,646 times
Hey everyone, so to clear a few things up. I know I had mentioned it in an earlier post but my wife is in risk management (finance, think all things insurance. So as an example if a company has different facilities or properties, like Coke has multiple bottling facilities all over the country, they need certificates of insurance for all aspect of the business, she manages that). She has mentioned that she does NOT want to work in DC proper and her skill sets are easily transferable to different industries. As for getting to the airport I can drive or take a car service (I pay $240 round trip in NY right now). I have to go into the city approx 4 times a month, but I have the flexibility to set my meetings at ideal commuting times. We are looking for more space/vs quaint and schools are important. Also my wife is taking a year off of work starting now and her income would be great but not necessary for now.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:08 AM

17 posts, read 17,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I assumed he was in consulting, marketing, or some similar field where his client or employer would pay for the cab fare to the airport. I know when I was in consulting you expensed your cab fare to the airport.
Company pays for parking/taxi etc. Not a consultant though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia