Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:47 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,275,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
At my public high school in California, the worst that happened (that I knew about) would be a couple of kids might cut school to surf. Any rough kids were out of high school before I was there, but there weren't many.
Uh, that's where I'm from (Dana Hills HIgh). You must have not been paying attention. Our school even had designated smoking areas and a place out back where the loadies hung out. Did you never go to Friday night parties at other kids' houses when parents were absent? I can tell you as someone who grew up there and raised kids here, things have gotten much tamer. It's also reflected in the college atmosphere. People regularly offered you hash and coke in the dorms. Now, at least if my kids are being square with me, it's mainly beer and pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,952,531 times
Quote:
A dog trained to sniff for drugs would be a better deterrent than security cameras.
A dog trained to sniff for drugs isn't going to catch boys walking into the girls bathroom to do things that shouldn't be done in a middle or high school.

I don't think cameras will prevent things from happening by instilling fear, but when a kid comes to the office and says "I saw someone passing around drugs by this classroom at this time", or "My locker was broken into on Tuesday" they can pull up the footage to figure out which kids need to be interrogated.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,952,531 times
Quote:
At my public high school in California, the worst that happened (that I knew about) would be a couple of kids might cut school to surf. Any rough kids were out of high school before I was there, but there weren't many.
I felt the same way. I thought my high school was this happy little place where nothing bad happened, save ditching school once in a while to surf (I'm a so cal kid too).

Then I graduated.

And I found out that the kid who sat next to me in AP English was the resident drug dealer on campus, and regularly came to class high (I honestly had no idea). I found out that the cross country trail through the woods was the pot head hang out during lunch. I found out that some kids' parents would allow their kids to throw parties on the weekend and drink their alcohol and pass out on the couch so that they could "de-stress" after a long school week.

I'm convinced that most of the time, at most of the schools, if you aren't looking for it, you'll have no idea it exists. But it's there at every school for the kids who are looking for it.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 AM

2,516 posts, read 3,414,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Uh, that's where I'm from (Dana Hills HIgh). You must have not been paying attention. Our school even had designated smoking areas and a place out back where the loadies hung out. Did you never go to Friday night parties at other kids' houses when parents were absent? I can tell you as someone who grew up there and raised kids here, things have gotten much tamer. It's also reflected in the college atmosphere. People regularly offered you hash and coke in the dorms. Now, at least if my kids are being square with me, it's mainly beer and pot.
I'm not from Dana Hills High (I grew up farther north along the coast). And contrary to what you claim, I was paying attention in high school. My father taught at my school.

I was in high school during the mid-to-late 80's, and from your posts I believe your high school years were at least 10 years earlier. I wasn't wearing bell bottoms with a macrame belt to high school.

During my time in college (at a UC campus), no one smoked pot or drank alcohol around me. They had other things to do. Perhaps UC Berkeley needed more courage to address the drug problem in their dorms.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I wasn't wearing bell bottoms with a macrame belt to high school.
That look was about 5-10 years before me. We usually wore shorts or swim trunks, fainbow flip flops, desert boots, earth shoes or adidas and hang ten tees or hawaiian shirts. Girls usually wore sun dresses or tube tops with short shorts and zories (remember those?). Puka shell necklaces for both. There was no effective dress code.

Quote:
During my time in college (at a UC campus), no one smoked pot or drank alcohol around me.
Oh come on. Now I know you weren't paying attention.

Quote:
Perhaps UC Berkeley needed more courage to address the drug problem in their dorms.
Not surprising since it took them months to evict the "tree people" so they could start remodeling Memorial Stadium.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:17 AM

2,516 posts, read 3,414,350 times
Quote:
I don't get you at all. You claim students and parents make up "crazy things" about students using/dealing drugs at school when they (drugs) are not present, AND you claim I was not paying attention to anyone in my immediate environment in high school and college and drugs were all over the place.

Very contradicting and inconsistent.

(sigh) CAVA CAVA, your comments aren't making UC Berkeley look like a good school. Guess it's a good thing I chose not to go there.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I don't get you at all. You claim students and parents make up "crazy things" about students using/dealing drugs at school when they (drugs) are not present, AND you claim I was not paying attention to anyone in my immediate environment in high school and college and drugs were all over the place.
Well the point I'm trying to make is that security cameras are a disproportional response to a minimal problem that is likely becoming even more minimal as time goes on. Things are fine the way they are.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,106,950 times
Quote:
Sounds like Arlington, Virginia had some wild high school days and nights!
Back in the day it sure did. Of course, it was also easy to avoid that scene if you wanted to.

On a related note, did you ever see that movie Remember the Titans? There's a side plot in that movie that really used to crack me up. T.C. Williams is portrayed as this school where all the boys have crew cuts. The side plot is this hippie dude (from California, of course) moves to town and he has long hair!!!! LOL yah right. Not that I went to TC Williams but it wasn't that different from my school. Back then at least half the guys in my graduating class had long hair, just like any other high school. Crew cuts? Only in the Disney version, LOL.

Last edited by Caladium; 09-18-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 09-18-2011, 11:38 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,097,958 times
Quote:
That look was about 5-10 years before me. We usually wore shorts or swim trunks, fainbow flip flops, desert boots, earth shoes or adidas and hang ten tees or hawaiian shirts. Girls usually wore sun dresses or tube tops with short shorts and zories (remember those?). Puka shell necklaces for both. There was no effective dress code.

Not surprising since it took them months to evict the "tree people" so they could start remodeling Memorial Stadium.
Personally, my mental image of CAVA1990 is the Judge Reinhold character from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

If he tells us he was more like Jeff Spicoli, he's got some serious explaining to do to his kids.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Personally, my mental image of CAVA1990 is the Judge Reinhold character from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

If he tells us he was more like Jeff Spicoli, he's got some serious explaining to do to his kids.
Funny, I was going to use Fast Times as a reference in my last post. Dazed and Confused was also a good approximation, though that was set somewhere in the Midwest I think.

I was somewhere between Judge and Spicoli. I'd have loved to have tried the pizza stunt but I don't believe we had delivered pizza in my area at the time. You had to go to a pizza parlor for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia