Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 5,036 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be moving to Arlington within a couple of months and I'm wondering if there's a better part to consider . I have looked at an apt about a mile and half from Ballston metro and 1 closer to Pentagon city metro. I'd appreciate some tips on the advantages of one part to the other... Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 08:41 AM

227 posts, read 398,964 times
North arlIngton
Ballston
Clarendon
Courthouse

Or Pentagon Row

Old 09-17-2011, 09:19 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,421 times
Either is fine. Where will you be working?

Old 09-17-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Either is fine. Where will you be working?

NE DC. Thx for your response. I like the Clarendon area and according to mapquest pentagon city is abt 3 miles away

Old 09-17-2011, 05:55 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurev View Post
Hi All,

I will be moving to Arlington within a couple of months and I'm wondering if there's a better part to consider . I have looked at an apt about a mile and half from Ballston metro and 1 closer to Pentagon city metro. I'd appreciate some tips on the advantages of one part to the other... Thanks a lot
If you're in your twenties, then you'll enjoy Ballston as it is part of a younger professional social hub in the Arlington neighborhoods along the Orange Metro line that reaches its peak at Clarendon. Assuming you will be riding the Metro, it will be a relatively shorter ride to NE DC.

Pentagon City is in an apparently underrated area of Arlington that has a lot of restaurant and retail options going on there. It's a broader mix of ages at those establishments compared to "Orange Line" Arlington.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
If you're in your twenties, then you'll enjoy Ballston as it is part of a younger professional social hub in the Arlington neighborhoods along the Orange Metro line that reaches its peak at Clarendon. Assuming you will be riding the Metro, it will be a relatively shorter ride to NE DC.

Pentagon City is in an apparently underrated area of Arlington that has a lot of restaurant and retail options going on there. It's a broader mix of ages at those establishments compared to "Orange Line" Arlington.

Yes, I'm in my twenties (mid-late). I will sometimes be in SE as well. Still looking..hoping to find sth by the end of next month, really don't want to exceed 1500 so it seems the Pentagon city area will be more attainable. The Clarendon area seems more expensive, unless I get lucky with one of the condos. Thanks for your post.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,782 times
If you're working in NE/SE DC, then Pentagon City will be a much better commute. From there you can take the Yellow line directly into NE, and transfer to the Green line to get to SE.
The Orange line from Clarendon gets extremely busy during rush hour and will add around 30 minutes to your commute.
The Pentagon/Crystal City area has a decent nightlife, but from there you're very close to any other place in the area worth seeing.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,268 times
$1500 a month will be tough in Orange Line Arlington, unless you are ok with a roommate or can find something off of Craigslist (someone's basement or MIL suite.)

Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
If you're working in NE/SE DC, then Pentagon City will be a much better commute. From there you can take the Yellow line directly into NE, and transfer to the Green line to get to SE.
The Orange line from Clarendon gets extremely busy during rush hour and will add around 30 minutes to your commute.
The Pentagon/Crystal City area has a decent nightlife, but from there you're very close to any other place in the area worth seeing.

Thanks... I didn't know abt the commute diff on the orange and yellow.. I'll drive to work most times but I'd like to have the option to take the metro sometimes.

I figure if I want the Clarendon nightlife I could cab, it'd just be 3-5 miles away anyway..

Thanks 'Smoke_Jaguar4'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia