Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:56 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,480,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Don't replace your brake pads or rotors unless they're worn down or warped, or you fail an inspection. $860 is quite high, wow I should get into this business.
Actually, a BMW brake job should include replacement of the rotors because the rotors are generally not within tolerances when the brake light comes on. It's due to the BMW using a thinner rotor for stopping performance, so I have been told, and I always change rotors with brake pads and have never had brake issues, which can plague BMWs that are not handled by someone who knows how to service them. BMW rotors can never be machined as other, thicker rotors can, as that will put them out of spec.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:19 AM

298 posts, read 682,240 times
Lots of Bimmer owners here. You can tell it's northern VA.

I wanted to add this link to this thread, because I think it will be helpful. It lists reputable local independent BMW repair shops, several of which have already been mentioned, but some that have not: BMW Repair in Washington, DC | Independent BMW Shops & Mechanics | BimmerShops.com

To briefly address a few things mentioned above:

(1) E90 takes 7 quarts (6.5L) of oil -- LetsRock, don't underfill!

(2) $95 oil change is not excessive, since parts alone are around $60 (7 qts x $6 + $15 filter)

(3) BMW recommended oil change interval (for E9x) is 12 mo/15K miles, whichever comes first. OCD drivers change at half that (6 mo/7.5K mi), which is more than enough -- definitely no need for 4K or 5K mi oil changes (although it doesn't hurt, it's just wasteful)

Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,398,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
Lots of Bimmer owners here. You can tell it's northern VA.

I wanted to add this link to this thread, because I think it will be helpful. It lists reputable local independent BMW repair shops, several of which have already been mentioned, but some that have not: BMW Repair in Washington, DC | Independent BMW Shops & Mechanics | BimmerShops.com

To briefly address a few things mentioned above:

(1) E90 takes 7 quarts (6.5L) of oil -- LetsRock, don't underfill!

(2) $95 oil change is not excessive, since parts alone are around $60 (7 qts x $6 + $15 filter)

(3) BMW recommended oil change interval (for E9x) is 12 mo/15K miles, whichever comes first. OCD drivers change at half that (6 mo/7.5K mi), which is more than enough -- definitely no need for 4K or 5K mi oil changes (although it doesn't hurt, it's just wasteful)
You are correct! I wondered why my low oil light came on about two months after I change my oil. I read somewhere that it was only 6 quarts.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Wow, Gidget sure knows her automotive lubricants!

Old 09-23-2011, 03:18 PM

298 posts, read 682,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Wow, Gidget sure knows her automotive lubricants!
A minor departure from my expected personality, I know a little bit about cars -- but only enough to keep me out of trouble!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:55 PM

707 posts, read 1,413,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
A minor departure from my expected personality, I know a little bit about cars -- but only enough to keep me out of trouble!
Hey any knowledge you have about cars is a virtue, these days there are very shady mechanics out there that love to take advantage of unsuspected women.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:10 AM

221 posts, read 439,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Actually, a BMW brake job should include replacement of the rotors because the rotors are generally not within tolerances when the brake light comes on. It's due to the BMW using a thinner rotor for stopping performance, so I have been told, and I always change rotors with brake pads and have never had brake issues, which can plague BMWs that are not handled by someone who knows how to service them. BMW rotors can never be machined as other, thicker rotors can, as that will put them out of spec.
Indeed, I've gone through several break replacements over the years and it's always new rotors and pads. ~$500-600 is what I have paid in the past...not $850...you better RUN!

In general, BMW engines are designed to run a very very long time...200k+ miles...that's my goal anyways, so I tend to get oil changes frequently.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,742,888 times
I've been reading this thread. I have both a BMW and a Toyota. It is my 4the bimmer and my 2nd toyota. It will be my last Toyota and the 4th of many more BMWs. And I say this after spending big bucks getting my window regulator fixed (another problem with BMWs). Sold my 1st BMW (525)with 289K miles on it...for $2400, that puppy was a tank. Not many cars you can do that with. In the 10 years I had it, we only had minor problems. My current car is a 2001 330I. With 72K on it. It still looks new.

I've heard alot about the $$ of repairs/maintenance, the status of having one, etc. What I haven't heard is how much freaking fun they are to drive!!!!

I know exactly what the car can do, I love how it can take corners etc. Of course living here doesn't allow me to really drive it, but I really love it. Just had to defend myself.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:55 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,085,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post

I've heard alot about the $$ of repairs/maintenance, the status of having one, etc. What I haven't heard is how much freaking fun they are to drive!!!!

I know exactly what the car can do, I love how it can take corners etc. Of course living here doesn't allow me to really drive it, but I really love it. Just had to defend myself.
No defense needed siduvall! Why do you think we all cough up $95.00 for an oil change

I drive an X3, the "greyhound/Home Depot" hauler. That left my 330xi in the driveway. Our daughter was driving back to Jersey in a Jetta (great little car) but it made me nervous. So, she has the 330xi now.
Hubby traded his 330i for a CPO M3 after he went to Spartensburg, SC for BMW driving school.

Don't mind maintaining them, but don't want to get ripped off, which is the point of this discussion.
We are talking to Fairfax Service Center as it is closest to our daughters' office.

You are in good company, enjoying your car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia