Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times

Advertisements

I tried 97.9 and Big 100 on the way home. Not too bad.

BTW, Dave Grohl grew up in Springfield, and I believe his mother still lives there somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,151,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Two reasons: 1. The airwaves belong to the public, and we have to use them for something. 2. Where does one turn to hear new music? I've gotten to the point where I hear songs in commercials or movies and google the lyrics to figure out who the artist is. That's the way I discovered Family of the Year (the "Where'd ya get that face" song in the Advil commercial), Sad Brad Smith (that incredible song in Up in the Air), Band of Horses (Ford commercial from 2009), Temper Trap, Rogue Wave (ATT commercial from 2006 or so), and probably others. It shouldn't have to be that hard.

Don't get me wrong I'd love nothing more than to have dozens of choices on the radio here in Washington. Unfortunately broadcast music radio is slowly going the way of the record store. It is a shame that you hear more great new music on TV shows and commercials but very little new stuff on the radio. I've added a great number of album to my collection due to both TV and commercials. House, Parenthood and Sons of Anarchy are great sources.

Other great places to find new music are:

Right here on C-D in the music section.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/music...ndie-rock.html

Last.fm and spotify.

Itunes and Amazon. Go and just browse.

Pandora and other ipod apps.

Who can guess the product for this song.

Sean Hayes - "Powerful Stuff" - YouTube

Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,471,156 times
Video killed the radio star ...

The internet killed the video star ...

Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,516,301 times
Quote:
I tried 97.9 and Big 100 on the way home. Not too bad.

BTW, Dave Grohl grew up in Springfield, and I believe his mother still lives there somewhere.
Dave bought his mom a house in southern California, but he still owns the house where he grew up (off Braddock Road between Backlick and Ravensworth)----he uses it as a retreat from time to time. Regarding the state of rock radio, I read somewhere that rock DJ Damien Einstein, whose dad owned the legendary WHFS, was getting set to revive the station and its 'underground' format. For you newbies, WHFS was the area's hippie/alternative rock station for almost 40 years. It was also the last station of its kind in the country to go off the air, 4 or 5 years ago. Unlike every other rock station in the area, WHFS was not governed by program managers who fed the public 'market-tested' rock & roll. The DJ's were music geeks who actually had a passion for the music they played.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:57 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,519,345 times
Quote:
2. Where does one turn to hear new music?
Try NPR. NPR Music: New Music, Music Reviews and Music News : NPR With the overcomercialization of radio, they can still focus on quality. They have programs like "All Songs Considered" which have become incubators for new music. www.npr.org/programs/all-songs-considered/

Locally, WPFW 89.3 plays a lot of music, while WETA 90.9 focuses exclusively on classical and WAMU 88.5 is almost completely news/talk, while

Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
SmokeJag: As long as there's no talking from the NPR people, I might check that out.

I do listen to WETA sometimes; it's great for keeping the road aggression in check. When they start playing the circus/pirate music (stuff from 19th Century operas and musicals), then I switch over to WBJC--which to my surprise comes in quite clearly south of DCA.

I like my rock music post-1970, my country music pre-1990, and my classical pre-1850!

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 09-23-2011 at 07:02 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 07:45 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,177,607 times
I loved HFS. I was so sad when I turned it on one day and found a spanish music station.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 PM

4 posts, read 5,756 times
See if you like Jack FM 102.7. It has a lot of what you're looking for and I stumbled across it last year when I was looking for the same type of music. Hopefully, you can get a decent signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia