Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,735,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
My old company started college grads at $70k this year ...
Ouch! What industry? (Please tell me they're lawyers or chemical engineers.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:45 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,253,754 times
I know someone in Riverside. Its not bad (not great either) but its a gated community with a fitness center, pool, and an on-site convenience store.

There is no way I'd live in Largo with a job in Arlington. I do agree with going with Alexandria. Its much more affordable than Arlington although there are some okay apartments in south Arlington.

Either way welcome to VA.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 AM

43 posts, read 64,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I know someone in Riverside. Its not bad (not great either) but its a gated community with a fitness center, pool, and an on-site convenience store.

There is no way I'd live in Largo with a job in Arlington. I do agree with going with Alexandria. Its much more affordable than Arlington although there are some okay apartments in south Arlington.

Either way welcome to VA.

Thanks a lot! I actually opted not to do VA (though not Steeplechase- was not impressed at all). I just realized that it was more important for me to be closer to friends/ family, and having an apartment that I would enjoy for the same amount as one in VA. I'm fine with a 45 min. metro ride, since I'll be close to the metro on both ends of the trip. I probably will eventually look for a position closer to home though.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,954,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Ouch! What industry? (Please tell me they're lawyers or chemical engineers.)
IT consulting. I was an information systems major.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,189,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSW View Post
Thanks a lot! I actually opted not to do VA (though not Steeplechase- was not impressed at all). I just realized that it was more important for me to be closer to friends/ family, and having an apartment that I would enjoy for the same amount as one in VA. I'm fine with a 45 min. metro ride, since I'll be close to the metro on both ends of the trip. I probably will eventually look for a position closer to home though.
Thanks for checking in and congratulations on your decision. At least the Blue and Orange Line combo is a pretty smooth one. You may find that, depending on your particular expertise, that there are more opportunities on this side of the Potomac when you do decide to further advance your career.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:50 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,269,559 times
Quote:
$70K is highly not probable but does happen from time to time. So.....here is my card. You guys accepting resumes?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 PM

414 posts, read 908,043 times
You may THINK that some areas are too expensive, but if you look, you can find NICE places, for almost a steal. I have mentioned this to someone before.... The place I used to live in the Del Ray neighborhood of Old Town Alexandria are great places, and are a STEAL. I paid 1,050 a month including utilities when I lived there 09/10 (july to july). Its about 2-3 blocks from Braddock Road Metro station, has off street parking, and is in general a STEAL for such a great neighborhood and being so close to the metro. Its worth looking into for sure. Del Ray is a great neighborhood.

JA Properties Click on "Alexandria Apartments" Then click on Glendale Apartments.

Great place to live, great neighborhood, and it is inexpensive (VERY) for the area that it is in.

My thoughts on P.G. County MD: Don't do it. After being born in D.C. I was raised there for a good portion of my life from 6 to 12th grade and slightly after... from about 81 to 1990. It was OK in the area I was in (Bowie) back then, but I would not touch that whole county with a 10 foot pole now. Awful crime rate, murders, lots of government corruption.... etc...etc...etc. Of course there ARE some 'nicer' parts, but still. I would not live in that county for love nor money anymore. Just my personal opinion.

Check out the place I mentioned, It is well within your price range including utilities, and is in a great, nice, safe neighborhood that is walkable, and is extremely close to Metro. Best of luck!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 AM

248 posts, read 701,399 times
Quote:
Depends on the industry. For IT, yeah. My old company started college grads at $70k this year, which kills me (starting salaries went up faster than employees got raises). For a nonprofit, education, management trainee, or a zillion other industries, far less likely.
Wow what the **** that's higher than where I'm at now (4 years of experience with no security clearance in a software engineer job - 62k). Although I have been with this company for all of those 4 years. I have to ask: what kind of IT are you referring to and how much programming is involved? Also, what are the work hours like at this company? (my job has been straight 40 hour workweeks, never had to put a single hour of overtime)

Sheesh

Old 10-02-2011, 01:59 AM

Thanks United_Caps_Skins_Fan, Terrence81 and Tone509! I really appreciate the feedback. I've heard that NOVA has a more job opportunities. I wish I had known about Glendale earlier. I would have definitely checked them. At this point, time does not permit. Perhaps once I get used to the area, I'll come further south. I think my decision was based mostly on comfort, but I'm hoping for the best. Thanks again!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Interesting that you all landed on this post. I've actually been thinking about going into the IT field. Although I have a liberal arts grad. degree, I had enrolled in classes in my home state before I got this job offer.

Anyone have any tips/ advice about the industry, i.e.) where to start? Is a BA/BS necessary if you already have one (albeit in a different area)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia