Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:04 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,739,644 times

Advertisements

Our house is going to have a bunch of trick-or-treaters, but we don't want to encourage bad habits, childhood obesity, etc. We're thinking about some healthful or educational alternatives to junk food. What do you folks think of these options?

Individual instant-oatmeal packets

Bite-sized chunks of different cheeses (wrapped in Saran of course)

Bottled water

Packets of math flash cards

Old political buttons from local election campaigns

Frozen vegetables (again, individual pieces wrapped in Saran)

Wallet-sized grammar/punctuation/usage guides

Loose marbles

Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew books

Old cassette tapes of wholesome artists like John Denver, Percy Faith, The Four Freshmen, etc.

Paint-stirrers from Home Depot

I think kids would be excited to get something more interesting than the old ho-hum chocolate bars.

If it hasn't hit you yet, I'm totally joking. This is my attempt at some Friday levity.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-21-2011 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,270,211 times
My Mom is a teacher and one year she made us give out pencils. Bad enough we weren't giving out candy but she made me and my brother and sister give them out.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,201,096 times
I prefer full-sized candybars bought by the box at Costco - three boxes, about 90 bars more or less, is typical for the number of kids that visit our house.

Their eyes light up when they see what we give them and we have created a memory that they'll take into adulthood, maybe resulting in THEM giving out full-sized bars (as...not surprisingly...is the background behind our treat giving).

Since I'm not the kids' parent, it doesn't bother me the slightest to hand out candy to them; I figure they've already passed through that filter via their own parents.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:53 AM

6,571 posts, read 8,426,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Our house is going to have a bunch of trick-or-treaters, but we don't want to encourage bad habits, childhood obesity, etc. We're thinking about some healthful or educational alternatives to junk food. What do you folks think of these options?

Bottled water

Loose marbles

Old cassette tapes of wholesome artists like John Denver, Percy Faith, The Four Freshmen, etc.

I think kids would be excited to get something more interesting than the old ho-hum chocolate bars.

If it hasn't hit you yet, I'm totally joking. This is my attempt at some Friday levity.
Now that you point this out, I'm going to throw out the bags of yummy candy I bought for trick-or-treaters and hand out nutrition pamphlets.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:02 AM

154 posts, read 455,092 times
Worst Halloween "treats" I recall receiving as a child:
- stick of gum (from a pack of gum a guy had)
- a quarter
- a "lemon cooler" cookie (unwrapped) that the guy was just pulling out of a box of cookies with his bare hand
- raisins (I HATE raisins)

WHY EVEN ANSWER THE DOOR IF YOU ARE GOING TO HAND THAT KIND OF STUFF OUT?!? Just pretend you aren't home!!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Now that you point this out, I'm going to throw out the bags of yummy candy I bought for trick-or-treaters and hand out nutrition pamphlets.
That's the spirit!

Maybe we'll recite excerpts from famous presidential speeches. What a treat that would be for any child--to hear the stirring oration of Franklin Pierce!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:05 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,958,343 times
Okay, you joke, but I was seriously contemplating giving out glow sticks. My husband says our house will get egged. I say that anyone who is young enough to still be trick-or-treating will think it's cool, and anyone who's too old shouldn't be out anyway.

He's going to make me give out both of them, but what do you think? Do those of you with kiddos trick-or-treating age think they'd like it, or be upset?

I bought candy too...but I want to give them a choice, at least. I think SOME kids might choose a glowstick...

Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 AM

298 posts, read 681,550 times
Quote:

Bottled water
Loose marbles
OMG my kids hate you and your kind!

Quote:
Thank goodness I read through to the end! Ha! This did crack me up.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 AM

267 posts, read 512,391 times
Quote:

Bottled water

Loose marbles

Wow, that's like a how-to guide on getting your house egged/TP'd.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Okay, you joke, but I was seriously contemplating giving out glow sticks. My husband says our house will get egged. I say that anyone who is young enough to still be trick-or-treating will think it's cool, and anyone who's too old shouldn't be out anyway.

He's going to make me give out both of them, but what do you think? Do those of you with kiddos trick-or-treating age think they'd like it, or be upset?

I bought candy too...but I want to give them a choice, at least. I think SOME kids might choose a glowstick...
I think giving them a choice might be OK--but then I think you'll see a lot of kids arguing with each other on your front porch as to which is better or arguing with you to get both. I think the unwritten rule is that on 10/31, if your porch light is on, you're signaling you have candy to give out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia