Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:13 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,035,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutrach View Post

I was always amazed how some adults would go trick-or-treating with their kids and take candy for themselves!
This is what I don't understand about people who take babies trick-or-treating. A 3-month old, 7-month-old, 1-yr-old is not going to eat (I hope!) that candy, so who is? Hmmmmm, let's see...

When our kids were babies / very little toddlers, we'd take them around with other groups of kids for the fun of it, and so people could see their costumes, and then wave the candy away politely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,700,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
I'll tell you ... kids today!
(Love the little ones! You know what's going through their minds: "All we have to do is dress up as princesses or baseball players, ring a doorbell, hold out our bag and they give us CANDY FOR FREE??? Is this a great country or what!")
Plus running around, in the dark, on a school night !

Old 10-24-2011, 01:23 AM

491 posts, read 1,174,703 times
BMWGuy, thanks for mentioning alternative stuff for kids with allergies -- I've never given any thought to that when buying my Halloween candy, even though I know peanut allergies is one big problem for kids today.

I'll have to buy Twizzlers or gummy bears or similar to have along with chocolate -- as well as ASK if any of the kids can't have chocolate or peanuts.

On another note:

Did any of you see kids with the Unicef boxes last year? I haven't seen those in a long time. I remember doing it as a kid.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,347,535 times
with the popularity of the Atkins diet the beef jerky companies should make little snack packs.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:48 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,474,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
with the popularity of the Atkins diet the beef jerky companies should make little snack packs.
Just make sure it's organic.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:22 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,119,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I also have a supply of sugar free treats just in case there's someone who is diabetic who comes along.
Wow . . . you really are prepared. I've never known anyone to do this!

Quote:
On another note: Did any of you see kids with the Unicef boxes last year? I haven't seen those in a long time. I remember doing it as a kid.
I had one (1) kid last year with the UNICEF box and luckily, I had some change and dollar bills in my purse. We used to do this alot when we were kids too.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:51 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,493,486 times
Quote:
BMWGuy, thanks for mentioning alternative stuff for kids with allergies -- I've never given any thought to that when buying my Halloween candy, even though I know peanut allergies is one big problem for kids today.

I'll have to buy Twizzlers or gummy bears or similar to have along with chocolate -- as well as ASK if any of the kids can't have chocolate or peanuts.

On another note:

Did any of you see kids with the Unicef boxes last year? I haven't seen those in a long time. I remember doing it as a kid.
Thank you for being so thoughtful persnicketygal! Knowing children with allergies, it makes a HUGE impact on them when they can partake in the same things as everyone else. Twizzlers and gummy bears are great for them, as are Jolly Ranchers, and the ever-popular Starburst.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-24-2011, 03:53 PM

15,180 posts, read 27,953,966 times
Since my husband would/will/does eat any candy brought in (and he's diabetic) - this year I'm giving out bags of chips. Safeway had the variety pack bags of 20 on sale over the weekend (chips, doritos, pretzels, etc. depending on which you buy). If the kids don't like it, tough - LOL.

Some years we get 30-40 kids, some years 15-20 or so

Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM

97 posts, read 264,378 times
One of the best posts of the year...I couldn't stop laughing while picturing someone hand-rolling individual saran wrapped packets of frozen peas. And home depot paint stirrers...genius!

Do fried eggs count as healthy?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 PM

429 posts, read 956,833 times
I laughed until I cried, especially at the little packets of oatmeal. I think the only thing missing from the list is all of the one socks left of the orginal pairs where one went missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia