Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,176 times

Advertisements

I live in the city of Fairfax close to a condo.

A couple weeks ago I pulled up to the condo to drop my friend out who had sprain knee and could barely walk.

I opened the door to the condo for him and let him in.

In less than 1 minute I was back in my car about to drive off. This parking enforcement officer pulled up behind me and told me I should not be parking in a fire lane. I explained to him the situation and then went into my car and drove off.

Not too long ago I received a ticket in the mail for $75. The enforcement officer did not scan my tags nor did he tell me anything about giving me a ticket.

Is this worth fighting in court? What are the odds of getting this ticket void?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 12:03 PM

91 posts, read 229,069 times
$75 to fight in court and possibly lose...miss a day (or 1/2 day of work)...no points on license. I would pay and move on. Not a lawyer but if you park in fire lane (even to drop off injured friend) would it still be considered a violation? I think it would be technically but I am no attorney.

Also, I not sure about county/law but for a parking ticket you might just have to go to a magistrate/a gov't officical and tell them your story and they might reduce.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:09 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,332,045 times
damn, you cannot pay a $75 ticket?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM

491 posts, read 1,171,188 times
The parking-enforcement officer was a wuss (I could think of a stronger word, too).
The person deliberately waited until the driver left and THEN gave him a ticket?
Maybe part of the story is missing here, but it sounds like the officer understood the driver's situation -- and, yes, sometimes there are extenuating circumstances, when it's as brief as this and not somebody who has the flashers on and is not even in the car -- and was letting him go.

Fill in the blanks, LiveGood: What exactly did the officer say to you?

(If you fight the ticket, you'll likely have to bring your injured friend with you.)

Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 PM

6,563 posts, read 8,402,207 times
IMO, pay the ticket.

I understand that you had a reason and you were parked there for just a short time, but, No Parking = No Parking. It doesn't mean "No Parking except when...."

Old 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
From the original post it sounds like the OP drove off before the officer could issue the ticket. They were likely in their car writing it when the OP left.

I wouldn't fight it because you were actually parked in a No Parking zone.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:25 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1968 View Post
$75 to fight in court and possibly lose...miss a day (or 1/2 day of work)...no points on license. I would pay and move on. Not a lawyer but if you park in fire lane (even to drop off injured friend) would it still be considered a violation? I think it would be technically but I am no attorney.

Also, I not sure about county/law but for a parking ticket you might just have to go to a magistrate/a gov't officical and tell them your story and they might reduce.

Nope. Can't do this. Only a judge can dismiss it. A police supervisor may be able to void it for good reason if done before it's turned in but no magistrate or govt official can do anything but take the fine.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:22 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Hey Bigfoot, in all your years on the street, did you ever meet an illegal parker that didn't have a terrific excuse? LOL

Old 10-25-2011, 06:19 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Hey Bigfoot, in all your years on the street, did you ever meet an illegal parker that didn't have a terrific excuse? LOL

In my job I didn't have to write many parking tickets but "I was only here for a second" was the norm.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,427,847 times
I once got a ticket for having expired tags in the parking lot of Arlington County Government offices....while I inside getting my new tags. Luckily they were nice enough to dismiss my ticket.

These no point violations are almost impossible to beat unless you have some legitimate excuse. If you were parked in a no parking zone the ticket isn't going to get dismissed. I do agree that it is lame to write you a ticket since you left right away, but you aren't going to beat it. Mail this one in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia