Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,741 times

Advertisements

I wonder if this is the caller I hung up on one day this week.
The guy did not ID himself as being from any company.
But he asked for me by name (pronounced miserably), and after I said "she" was not in (cuts the amount of time I have to listen to these telemarketers), this guy had the nerve to ask "May I speak with her husband?" !!
I slammed that phone down.
So it sounded as if it was a search for the "head of the household" -- ie, the bill payer.

Caladium: Next time they call, just be forceful with the person: "I am expecting emergency phone calls. I pay the bills but I'm sorry -- I am not interested in what you're offering at this time, so please don't call this number again or I will call the phone company to put a trace on your number."

Maybe that'll work. (Altho if they have the nerve to be nasty to you when they're trying to get your business, maybe not. It's worth a try.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 PM

428 posts, read 1,115,178 times
A little chat with Mr. Google led me here:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-866-362-7122 (broken link)

This kinda sounds like what you're describing, and if it is, then it looks like it's a scam. Hope you can get them to leave you alone. And I hope your emergency situation works out positively for all involved!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
Always listen to mommy, mommy knows best.

Though it's not a scam exactly, it's a slam.

These used to be prevalent in the telephone industry, now they are moving into the energy business. They normally go door-to-door but also use telemarketing.

17 things energy retailers door-to-door sale agents doesn't want you to know | KeyFrame5

I used to have a problem with similar calls but found one trick that works:

Once you realize who they are just say "Oh, I NEVER do business with telemarketers" and then abruptly hang up whether they are trying to get a word in or not. Do this each and every time. They quit calling after a while.

If genuinely bothered by them, take the extra step of filing a complain with the Virginia Corporation Commission Division of Energy. (http://www.scc.virginia.gov/pue/complaint.aspx - broken link)

Sorry for your family issues, we are all hoping for the best for you.

Last edited by ersatz; 10-28-2011 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: link fix

Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 AM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times
Good detective work by themommy. If the calls continue, I think I would notify both the Federal Trade Commission, which has an on-line form to report unwanted telemarketers, the state utlity commission, and your natural gas and/or electric company (so that perhaps they will put a warning notice to their customers in their next bill).

I always like to play with telemarketers' minds. How about the next time they call, you tell them you're completely off the grid thanks to the small nuclear reactor that's in your basement and that you built yourself?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Thanks everyone. Family drama got solved yesterday (yay!) and after that I called Washington Gas and reported it. They said they couldn't do anything about it, but confirmed that it's a telephone sales operation and definitely not something I'm interested in. I probably just overreacted yesterday because we needed to keep the phone line free. However, it does seem like one more reason to get rid of the landline, I guess.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:41 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
Caladium - One more note. Check out http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-877-401-8552/2 (broken link)

It seems that Washington Gas does share your data with some of the shadier telemarketing firms representing gas suppliers but contrary to what the customer service rep told you, yes, you can opt out. Dig down into the link to find out how.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:13 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
I hate Washington Gas. We had service with them in DC and NOVA (for over 20 yrs) and things were fine and now out here (Shenandoah Division) it is a nightmare. They outsource their customer svc and bill paying sections somewhere out in Asia and even if the reps speak English, they have a hard time comprehending and communicating in English (hence the misuse of "he" and "she" from a previous poster).

Soliciting or passing along our tele #s wouldn't surprise me one bit. Just one more fu*k-up IMO from these clowns. . . .

Verizon did the same thing and we now boycott them.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,361 times
Default Fake Washington Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We've been out of town quite a bit in the last month, so I'm guessing that something took place with Washington Gas that I don't know about. Can somebody briefly explain?

All I know is, since we've gotten back we have been getting 2-3 calls a day, every single day, all of them asking to speak to "the person who pays the Washington Gas Bill." They call in the morning, they call in the afternoon, the call at 9 p.m.

I can't make heads or tails out of what they're trying to tell me or exactly what it is they want me to sign up for but every time I get one of these calls red flags go up in my brain. Is this some sort of scam? It just doesn't feel right.

I've asked to be sent something in writing--they get nasty and claim they have. My husband recalls seeing something about an automatic bill paying program that we weren't interested in signing up for. Is this what they're talking about? The phone solicitors are hard to understand and I can't quite grasp what they're trying to tell me but it seems to be about letting some other company handle the billing "if we qualify" (and then they want us to answer questions to qualify).

How do we convince them that we are not interested and do NOT want any more calls?

I mean it's getting ridiculous. Normally I just wouldn't answer the phone but we're going through a family emergency right now and need to answer every phone call (and also keep the lines clear).

Is anyone else having this problem?
Yes, we have been getting the same calls from three different numbers. I have told them tonight if they call again I will report them to the phone company. They don't take NO for an answer!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Simple answer: don't answer if you don't recognize the number.... if they start leaving a message and it happens to be someone you WANT to speak to... then pick up. The Do Not Call Registry is a joke.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Sorry about your family emergency. Can you go to the Wash. Gas website and send them a message from there? I often prefer to email so I will have a record, and this may work in your situation (to keep your phone line clear) too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: