Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,263 times

Advertisements

I think "the real Virginia" bit is nonsensical too (I guess what is implied there is that NoVA is "fake" Virginia), but two wrongs don't a right make and I did not appreciate this "humor" even though I am a pretty jovial guy in general. I have the credentials of a stereotypical urban intellectual-elitist with my advanced degrees and Ivy League background (not to mention my luxury cars and organic food consumption), but what I read in that "joke" is little more than a thinly-disguised knock against "RoVA," complete with rural stereotypes.

But humor is a funny thing. YMMV.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
There seem to be rather more exceptions such as the beautiful rolling hills and horse country of Loudoun County and the rather expensive and surprisingly plentiful waterfront mansions in Hampton Roads. Or the high concentration of undereducated illegal immigrants in some areas of NoVA vs. the highly (some might say overly) intellectual populations immediately near universities like UVA and William and Mary in "RoVA" and so on.

Of course, while I understand that NoVA is more urbanized than rural areas of "RoVA," the latter also has quite a few (in fact blighted or otherwise very low-income) urban areas (e.g. southern part of Newport News, Norfolk, etc. that in no way fit the stereotype of naturally beautiful "RoVA."

The point I am making is that both NoVA and "RoVA" are such large, variegated areas that generalizations of this sort ("money... beauty") are apt to fail to capture the wonderful variety of scenes in the areas.
and my point is that nova has the majority of the state's money, rova, being larger and partially in the blue ridge, has prettier scenery. burbs upon burbs of cookie cutter mcmansions are not very attractive. yes, nova has beautiful spots here and there. old town alexandria is one of my favorite places on earth.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:40 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times
What do you guys think is more likely to happen; Fairfax County becomes its own city or the NOVA region becomes its own state?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,419,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I'd say that all of those represent the differences between Northern Virginia and the rest of the state. Any state dominated by Fairfax County would elect women (like Sharon Bulova), enact stricter gun control laws and raise taxes on cigarettes (it's not like we grow tobacco up here). If Virginia were to lose Northern Virginia, its politics would probably resemble those of South Carolina.
more like Alabama.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
more like Alabama.
You cannot be serious!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
Not only has this thread gone far off-topic in recent posts but it has also become needlessly personal. Returning to the topic of the state of "NOVA" and "ROVA" will lengthen the life of this thread and prevent infractions.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 26,511 times
I agree with you. NOVA is completely different from the rest of the state. With a population in Fairfax CO well over 1 million people, high cost of living, traffic congestion, influx of minorities, it's certainly different than other parts I've visited. I don't "need" to move but "want" to move.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:32 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWS3 View Post
I agree with you. NOVA is completely different from the rest of the state. With a population in Fairfax CO well over 1 million people, high cost of living, traffic congestion, influx of minorities, it's certainly different than other parts I've visited. I don't "need" to move but "want" to move.
You forget the "highest-achieving public schools" and "second-highest median household income."

Mind sharing why an "influx of minorities" is automatically a negative, too? Did you mean to say, "influx of people who do appear to behave in an anti-social manner?"

Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,664 times
Well I am going to chime in with my very own outlook. I grew up in Lake Barcroft. Falls Church, VA. I was born in 1970. I went to public schools in Fairfax County. Which at the time were one of the top three districts in the United States. Most of my friends parents were politicians, doctors, lawyers, lobbyist or prominent military officials.
I enjoyed the wonderful aspects of growing up literally in biking distance of the US capitol. Watching Route 66 and the Subway system evolve. The restoration of Old Town Alexandria and PLEASE lets not leave out South Arlington.
I felt privileged and bless to grow up in such a diverse environment. I had everything at my finger tips.
But, at some point the are changed. After I graduated from college (UVA), married and began to raise my family. I suddenly realized.. "This is not the place I grew up". My husband is from Richmond,VA. I had always loved Richmond. It has ALWAYS held it Southern charm and dignity. I was so proud of Richmond to vote Obama this last election.
My reason for this post is this.

Northern Virginia, and what is that??????? is below the Mason Dixon line. Please do not feel that you are separate from the rest of us.

You have a higher income level because of why??? Because of Federal dollars. The State does not pay you to live there and work in Washington, DC. Why don't you live you in DC?

There are only a few things that I love of my home town that still remain. The homes and the Monuments. You can have the traffic, the weird urban snobby attitude.

The best thing I EVER did was move to Richmond with my beloved husband. Where we have raised three children, 21, 17 and 16.

An Alumni of the most respective VA University. Where my middle child was accepted against ALL odds.

My oldest daughter a graduate of the one of the best kept secrets of Virginia. VCU!

My son, the youngest, 16 and aspires to attend UVA!

Honestly, I never cared where they went to school and I NEVER pushed the "Southern" mentality. As I had grown up the child of Slovak immigrant.

But, Virginia is awesome. Virginia is the State it is because of the different classes of people that have contributed to its existence!

What would Virginia be without Bluegrass, Music in general?? The Shad Planking? Who is Nova knows this is one of the oldest and most traditional political events in Virginia?

Get over it NOVA. Virginia ROCKS! and it is not all about you!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,488,635 times
Well, I don't think anybody's talking seccesion just yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia