Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,153,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
That's a good deal, because if deer get hungry they've been known to eat "deer resistant" plants. They love all roses, but will avoid roses with lots and lots of thorns. That's why they avoid the knockouts if there's something less thorny to eat. OTOH, I have seen plenty of evidence that deer have eaten even the knockouts. They probably spend the whole meal going "Yum!" Ouch!" "Yum!" Ouch!" "Yum!" Ouch!" but they'll eat them if they're hungry.
Yeah, it's amazing how animals will choose survival with pain over death. Animals don't seem to give up easily.

I've given a lot of business to this landscaper and have referred others to him as well. I am pretty loyal to businesses that provide good service. Also, I take a great deal of interest in how small- to medium-sized businesses do in the area, so I talk to proprietors a great deal and get to know them well (it's a habit left over from the days when I worked in politics). So he's always provided me a hassle free service (e.g. replacing any tree that dies in the first year of planting, mowing and pruning exactly as I instructed, etc.).

One advantage I have in deer control is that my neighbors seem to take delight in planting lots of yummy plants and trees that bear sweet fruit. On the other hand, that probably attracts the rodents to the general area. Ugh. I hate deer with a passion -- not just because they damage plants, but also because they cause accidents and operate as a vector for Lyme disease.

I read somewhere that the indigenous deer population in VA was all but wiped by the early 20th Century and new herds of them were imported from elsewhere around the 1920-30s because some people wanted that bucolic deer-hopping-across-the-greenery look. Now they are just a huge nuissance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 05:36 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,509,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I'm hoping the wife would buy me one of these for Christmas.
Don't forget the hunting license, deer license, archery license, and crossbow license then. I think you can get the entire package for about 150 bucks. Speaking of which, if it has antlers, all you can do is offer it dessert. And do observe the Free Foraging on Sundays law, of course.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:35 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,153,864 times
You might read the exemptions section: Hunting Licenses & Fees

Old 11-24-2011, 10:40 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,509,120 times
Saves you the $150 if you choose to hunt only on your own property. All other season, bag, and related limits continue to apply. No antlers, and no shooting on Sundays. You'll find that the deer show much less respect for these rules than you will be required to. Do you have Plan-B for when a wounded deer staggers off your property worked out yet? Might want to talk to an attorney experienced with liability issues.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,463,338 times
1) Your landscaper should be willing to answer all of your questions and to provide links or other sources of info to back up what s/he tells you.

2) One of the most critical factors in gardening success is whether you have the proper amount of sun for the plants where they are located. Different parts of your landscape will get different amounts of sun, etc. For example, roses, Japanese maples, and most barberries need a lot of sun to thrive and show the color you want.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:17 PM

628 posts, read 1,935,676 times
I'll vouch for the variegated liriope. They offer some flower-free color contrast to lawns or other greenery with their cream-colored leaf striations, albeit dainty purple lowers on short spikes do appear in mid-summer for a time. They make a nice low edging or mass planting. They are easy to divide if you want to later increase your plantings without having to purchase new plants. And best of all, they require NO maintenance (pruning, watering, fertilizer, pesticides). The leaves will die off in winter's cold but regrow in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia