Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times

Advertisements

I think we're all ready for a new topic, so how about this? About 4 years ago Meadowlark Garden planted a banana tree as a joke. To their surprise it survived the winter, and they published a few notes saying they think this is evidence of global warming.

Since then, several neighborhoods have planted banana trees. There's one a few blocks from my house and I'm intrigued that it is also surviving the winters (even though last winter was unusually cold).

So..... here's our juicy topic for debate. What does this mean? Is it evidence of global warming? Will we soon be able to plant all sorts of tropic plants or was this a fluke? And, will our state song become "Yes We Have No Bananas"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,947 times
Is the tree producing full size bananas? Or is the tree living but not really producing much or any fruit?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
Is the tree producing full size bananas? Or is the tree living but not really producing much or any fruit?
The one near me doesn't seem to have any fruit (that I know of). It's growing like crazy, however.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 AM

560 posts, read 1,292,445 times
It’s probably Japanese Fiber Banana-

Musa basjoo

I believe that it needs to grow through at least one Winter to produce fruit and it won’t in this area. Just resprouts from the base every year.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:48 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,892,897 times
They will die back in the winter and grow from the ground new in the spring. (snow fall doesn't stop that, FREEZING temps below 20 will kill the roots)
So, yes if NOVA had a mild winter it will come back as long as the roots did not freeze. Deep freeze past the frost line.... probably 3ft in NOVA for long period will kill them.
And yes there are some hardy varieties...not fruit producing etc..

This winter in Dallas we had a long streach of temps in teens (remember super bowl ice storm?) This area lost Alot of Palm trees and Banana trees. We are really too cold for Palms but people plant them and they will thrive until we get a real cold winter like last year.
I have a bunch of Elephant ear plants and I was very surprised to see all of them returned this spring, they were all mush after the ice and cold this winter.

The Banana Trees here in DFW die back everywinter, like elephant ears, cana lilly etc... but grow back from the ground in the spring. Once temps dip into the 30's they go dormat.

So I bet that is what happened...it went dormat and came back with new growth in spring.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:01 PM

262 posts, read 582,958 times
When I was growing up, there was a bunch of banana trees growing at the back property line of my elementary school playground. The students were not allowed to go near the trees because black widow spiders live in banana trees. (at least thats what they told us) You can bet I never got near those trees. I wonder if the Northern Virginia banana trees attract black widows. And no, I'm not volunteering to find out!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,729,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadgirl View Post
I wonder if the Northern Virginia banana trees attract black widows.
More likely white spinsters.

Doh!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:58 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,947,551 times
Since they don't appear to be the real banana trees (i.e. Where they would save me a trip to the store when I run out of bananas for my cereal) I say they have green thumbs. Now if someone could get a Meyer Lemon tree to grow without being in a container, I would be really impressed and your new best friend! . I have a huge craving for those lemons lately and can't find them anywhere! . Guess I may have to beg my FIL to send some up from Florida.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,440,357 times
For the last time people, it is not global warming, it is CLIMATE CHANGE.
Whoever phrased global warming obviously sucks at name branding.

The earth is warmer, but really this is climate change, which includes extreme weather, storms, and in spots, cooling.
The problem with global warming is idiots claim it is not happening each time we get snow.
URGH.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,742,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
The problem with global warming is idiots claim it is not happening each time we get snow.
No, the problem is all the predictions from 10 years ago that claimed we'd see a lot less snow globally, and places like London, NY, and DC could stop seeing it altogether. "Climate Change" is just another way of saying "We Can't Admit We Were Wrong".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia