Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times

Advertisements

Will we be seeing Mulder and Scully rifling through bananas at the Leesburg Weggies? Could be....

Today's news is the FBI may be moving to Loudoun. They need more space and are looking for a new headquarters with at least 55 acres and 2 million square feet of office space near a Metro station. The move will take place in 2017. There are a few different sites up for consideration around the D.C. metro area, but the Silver Line and the large campuses here have apparently made Loudoun a prime contender.

Apparently a site in PW County is also interesting, but I'm not sure how that fits the need for a nearby Metro station. Either way, it could be good news for northern VA. It would bring work closer to home for a lot of employees who live out here, as well as support a lot of local businesses.

New FBI headquarters could relocate to Loudoun | LoudounTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,095 times
I sure hope they don't. It doesn't seem fair to the employees who chose to buy homes in or close to DC. DC is the nation's capital, after all--not NOVA.

I'll admit I'm biased (being in Arlington), but what I suspect is really behind this is that the new hires can only afford a small condo or TH if they buy close-in. I'm also guessing--I could be wrong--that many of them refuse to live in anything a big house with an attached two-car garage and insist that they have this with one income. So they decide to live out in PW or Loudoun. Fine, their choice--but don't complain about the commute to DC.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 AM

540 posts, read 791,841 times
It would be good for Loudoun Co. As a fed who is likely going to have to endure a location switch, I do feel for the FBI people that have homes in DC or Maryland that would have their commutes explode or have to move. Buying a house, making it your own, and then having to move because of extraneous factors is tough. Better than losing your job, of course, but a significant hit anyway.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 AM

On a practical note, don't they want to have quick access to Capitol Hill, the White House, and main DOJ? Not to mention the other agencies they work with, all of which are in DC or just across the river? Or perhaps they would do all that from the Washington Field Office (which is not in the Hoover Building).

Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 AM

540 posts, read 791,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I sure hope they don't. It doesn't seem fair to the employees who chose to buy homes in or close to DC. DC is the nation's capital, after all--not NOVA.

I'll admit I'm biased (being in Arlington), but what I suspect is really behind this is that the new hires can only afford a small condo or TH if they buy close-in. I'm also guessing--I could be wrong--that many of them refuse to live in anything a big house with an attached two-car garage, on one income. So they insist on living out in PW or Loudoun. Fine, their choice--but don't complain about the commute to DC.
Having seen some of the process, it is my opinion that the comfort/well-being of employees is of the last concern to the government. It is now all about finding the most space for the least amount of money. Other factors can come in, such as Metro or airport access of course, but GSA and the lobbying congressmen really only care about the bottom line.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
I do feel for the FBI people that have homes in DC or Maryland that would have their commutes explode or have to move.
True. At least being near a metro station would help with the commute issue. I wonder how close to a metro station the new building would be? Would they have shuttles from the metro to the campus or would it be walking distance?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:53 AM

FalloutZone, you're probably right that it's a cost-per-square-foot determination.

Maybe they could take over Ballston Common Mall.

I've read that they have a lot of employees who live in PW, so maybe it would make sense to create a field office or branch of HQ out that way. I just don't see the wisdom of shutting down the Hoover Building completely. What about the employees who live in MD and commute to DC?

I fail to see the necessity of having a headquarters all in one giant building. The State Department has annexes all over the place. So does DoD (even with OSD agencies and Washington HQ Services). BRAC's crazy security parameters ruined what had been a good setup for a lot of DoD employees, with small, manageable offices scattered about. But there's no reason a DOJ entity should have to consolidate so that 10,000 people are all coming and going to the same place at the same time every day.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,174,105 times
FBI has a presence south of town already...not sure they could relocate the entire agency there, though.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
True. At least being near a metro station would help with the commute issue. I wonder how close to a metro station the new building would be? Would they have shuttles from the metro to the campus or would it be walking distance?
I'm not sure how much help it would be. People who don't live near a Metro stop will want to drive rather than bus it to the Metro station (or park and ride, if that's even going to be available).

And if they build near the Metro, they'll probably (in some attempt to get LEED-certified) agree to create way too few parking spots, on the gamble that folks will Metro in. This has happened at NGA in Springfield. If it takes less time to drive to work than to Metro, a huge number of people are still going to drive.

Also (just thought of this), my understanding is that FBI special agents frequently have to drive places--so they'll need parking.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 12-01-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 AM

2,519 posts, read 3,418,815 times
Maybe the FBI (or another department) could renovate the Springfield Mall and use it for more office space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia