Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:26 AM

162 posts, read 360,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I sure hope they don't. It doesn't seem fair to the employees who chose to buy homes in or close to DC. DC is the nation's capital, after all--not NOVA.

I'll admit I'm biased (being in Arlington), but what I suspect is really behind this is that the new hires can only afford a small condo or TH if they buy close-in. I'm also guessing--I could be wrong--that many of them refuse to live in anything a big house with an attached two-car garage and insist that they have this with one income. So they decide to live out in PW or Loudoun. Fine, their choice--but don't complain about the commute to DC.

On the flip side, staying in DC isn't fair to the newer employees. Eventually the older employees will retire and all you will have are new employees living in LC and PWC because when they came to the area homes were too expensive to buy near work. Maybe this would be a wise move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,755,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolandSprings View Post
On the flip side, staying in DC isn't fair to the newer employees. Eventually the older employees will retire and all you will have are new employees living in LC and PWC because when they came to the area homes were too expensive to buy near work. Maybe this would be a wise move.
I think someone who has already invested a large amount of money and gone through all the hassle to buy a home near work where it is now deserves more consideration than someone who hasn't done any of that. And it's not like there are no affordable homes within a resaonable commute of current FBI HQ; there are cheap homes all over the DC region, provided one is willing to sacrifice something (square feet/school district/updated-ness/etc). Besides, if they build a new HQ out west, the housing values nearby will shoot up--and then (let's say in 10 years) one could argue that this future location is unfair to new (year 2023) employees who at that time can't afford to buy a home near work.

As long as we have massive consolidiations of employment centers, the areas within a quick commute to those will have inordinately high housing prices.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,148,061 times
Lightbulb FBI looking to trade buildings...

The FBI is accepting bids from other government agencies who are interesting in trading locations with the FBI's current Hoover building. Requirement is for at least 2.1 million square feet and bids need to be submitted by March 4th, '13. There can't be that many facilities that large that will want to trade spaces but if this ends up happening, half the FBI workers will be happy while the other half.... The exception would be something like the Marks building where all the workers are not happy.

"The GSA is seeking to up to 2.1 million square and plans to hold a pre-submittal briefing with interested bidders in early January. It has set a March 4 deadline to submit proposals".

http://www.gsadaily.com/Tuesday.pdf

GSA proposes trading Hoover Building for new FBI campus - Capital Business Blog - The Washington Post

Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,157,197 times
Loudoun or PWC might not be DC, but at least it's not Duluth with its ice fishing...

Mad rep point for the one who gets my reference first.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,588,902 times
I would not be surprised if the FBI does indeed come out of the city and towards the "burbs". There are most likely certain security parameters that are going to be required by the developer to deliver to secure such a stellar tenant, that an urban setting probably can't provide in general. The nearest to the city I've seen that was capable of supplying these parameters, granted for a DoD tenant, was Falls Church. I suspect many of the same safety/security requirements will be included for the FBI. It's not about ease of access for the employees, it's about security, which requires lots of land. Train access isn't a plus, it's a negative now, as it provides another level of access threats to the building. Factor in the new infrastructure being installed in Loudoun these days, like new underground utilites and data centers, matched against having Dulles sitting there, and Loudoun begins to paint a pretty good picture as a likely choice for such a tenant who seeks increased security characteristics.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I would not be surprised if the FBI does indeed come out of the city and towards the "burbs". There are most likely certain security parameters that are going to be required by the developer to deliver to secure such a stellar tenant, that an urban setting probably can't provide in general. The nearest to the city I've seen that was capable of supplying these parameters, granted for a DoD tenant, was Falls Church. I suspect many of the same safety/security requirements will be included for the FBI. It's not about ease of access for the employees, it's about security, which requires lots of land. Train access isn't a plus, it's a negative now, as it provides another level of access threats to the building. Factor in the new infrastructure being installed in Loudoun these days, like new underground utilites and data centers, matched against having Dulles sitting there, and Loudoun begins to paint a pretty good picture as a likely choice for such a tenant who seeks increased security characteristics.
I know a few spots (e.g. Colorado, Wyoming, etc.) where security is top notch and accessibility is close to zero. Maybe all government agencies should move there.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,588,902 times
I know them too, but would prefer Dakota if I had the chance for a few GSA/DoD outposts. Unfortunately, Treasury and the WH go hand in hand, and they ain't moving to DK until they go BK first!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I know them too, but would prefer Dakota if I had the chance for a few GSA/DoD outposts. Unfortunately, Treasury and the WH go hand in hand, and they ain't moving to DK until they go BK first!
The Dakotas as getting a bit busy with the energy boom.

Nobody gets my FBI/Duluth reference?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,294,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
The Dakotas as getting a bit busy with the energy boom.

Nobody gets my FBI/Duluth reference?
I tried. Coming up with Lake Superior, extreme cold etc.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,755,629 times
Quote:
Are you aware of where the new ATF headquarters is located? NE DC. Quite near the NY Ave Metro, in fact. The thing is a fortress.

Plenty of land in SE DC and NE DC. Even some in SW here and there. Clear a few dilapidated old motels/parking lots, and there you go. (DARPA just did this; its new building is now complete--at Ballston, where the bus-storage lot used to be.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia