Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times

Advertisements

Question: What do you get if a big government agency moves to your county?

Answer: Since Uncle is exempt from most taxes....you get tons of traffic and some lunch business.

I'll pass!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Question: What do you get if a big government agency moves to your county?

Answer: Since Uncle is exempt from most taxes....you get tons of traffic and some lunch business.

I'll pass!

The proposed site in Springfield is already GSA property, IIUC.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post
You guys need to relax, I'm not saying there is low population density in Loudoun. I'm saying it's way the hell out from DC. It's just not close to town. Fredericksburg has a lot of people, but it's the sticks to me. We were talking about security and having a lot of real estate elbow-room. I probably used the wrong term, how about metropolitan-center-challenged? Loudoun can have all the condos and town centers they want, that won't move it closer to where the federal government action is. The feds might as well move to Annapolis if they move to Ashburn, distance-wise.
Ashburn ain't Annapolis either. Political geography is very different from as the crow flies geography.

Ever been to the recently closed NDIC? It was in freakin' Jonestown, PA!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 PM

437 posts, read 1,229,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Ashburn ain't Annapolis either. Political geography is very different from as the crow flies geography.

Ever been to the recently closed NDIC? It was in freakin' Jonestown, PA!
Other than Annapolis being the state capitol and being a bit more urban, as far as the FBI is concerned Ashburn and Annapolis are probably pretty similar.

I'm afraid I fail to see your point, unless you are implying that Virginia legislators, etc. are more likely to bring this facility to Virginia over Maryland. In fact, due to the political leanings of Maryland, I'd think they would have a better chance with Dems controlling the Executive and Senate to get the FBI HQ.

We're talking about the HQ of a large government agency which constantly requires personnel to liaise with many other sectors of government. My guess is closer to DC is better. Yes, geography matters.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Other than Annapolis being the state capitol and being a bit more urban, as far as the FBI is concerned Ashburn and Annapolis are probably pretty similar.
Growth patterns are radically different and that has consequences on where government will be.
Quote:
We're talking about the HQ of a large government agency which constantly requires personnel to liaise with many other sectors of government. My guess is closer to DC is better. Yes, geography matters.
By the criterion of physical "liaison" (heh, that sounds funny), yes, closer is better. But there are other criteria to consider like space, security, accessibility, technological infrastructure, etc.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Growth patterns are radically different and that has consequences on where government will be.
By the criterion of physical "liaison" (heh, that sounds funny), yes, closer is better. But there are other criteria to consider like space, security, accessibility, technological infrastructure, etc.
Other than (possibly) tech infrastructure, all of that stuff is there in Anne Arundel. Just don't kid yourself that Ashburn is the next New Amsterdam, it isn't. Annapolis represents itself as well as Ashburn IMO. I don't see the great political power Loudoun has that, for example, Anne Arundel doesn't.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Other than (possibly) tech infrastructure, all of that stuff is there in Anne Arundel. Just don't kid yourself that Ashburn is the next New Amsterdam, it isn't. Annapolis represents itself as well as Ashburn IMO. I don't see the great political power Loudoun has that, for example, Anne Arundel doesn't.
Tech infrastructure is kinda important today, don't you think?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Tech infrastructure is kinda important today, don't you think?
Yes. Assuming that Loudoun County is the only place in the area with sufficient tech infrastructure for the FBI is a probably not a correct assumption.

But who cares? If they go to Loudoun, great. I suspect they'd prefer to be closer in to DC. That's all.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Yes. Assuming that Loudoun County is the only place in the area with sufficient tech infrastructure for the FBI is a probably not a correct assumption.
Loudoun doesn't have to the "only" place. You know the saying "I don't have to out-run the bear, I just have you out-run you"? Comparative advantage is all that is necessary.
Quote:
But who cares? If they go to Loudoun, great. I suspect they'd prefer to be closer in to DC. That's all.
Personally, it would not affect me one way or another. But I have a couple of friends who carry customized Springfield 1911's who would love for their job location to move closer to Loudoun. I'm pulling for them.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Personally, it would not affect me one way or another. But I have a couple of friends who carry customized Springfield 1911's who would love for their job location to move closer to Loudoun. I'm pulling for them.
Other than very infrequent visits to the Hoover building its location doesn't affect me either.

Knowing a few that do regularly frequent that brutalist monster downtown though, who live closer in, or in Maryland, I know that a long haul out to Loudoun for them wouldn't be any fun.

I'm sure wherever it ends up, there will be people who like it and people who don't. Maybe it will make more sense for them to be in a more remote location. We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia