Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 10,228 times

Advertisements

I'm a third-year elementary teacher looking to move with my family to NoVA this year. I'm curious about the job market for educators in NoVA and the possibility of being able to apply for jobs while I am still out of state. (I am willing to fly in for interviews, job fairs, etc. that would help me get hired.) Here in NM, deep budget cuts have made it hard market for teachers to get jobs. (I have one at the moment - I'm not moving because I lost my job.) Is that the case in NoVA?

Any advice and insight about getting a job as an educator would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
You should be able to complete almost all (if not all) of the application process online.

There should be a list of job fairs listed on the districts' websites. I'll send you a PM.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:51 AM

90 posts, read 156,884 times
Arlington County has a teacher job fair at the end of February, date may not be posted yet. In Arlington the application and document submission can all be done online too. One thing I'd say is to not be too discouraged if you don't hear something right away. In Arlington, and I'm guessing some other districts too, a lot of the hiring doesn't happen until later in the spring and even over the summer. But every year we hire many teachers.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
There was an article in the NY Times this morning about teachers in DC who are making a lot of money due to bonuses and other incentives. One special ed teacher in the story made $87K last year. I imagine those positions will become more desirable than ones here in VA, particularly as DC further gentrifies and crime in and around the schools keeps declining.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
There was an article in the NY Times this morning about teachers in DC who are making a lot of money due to bonuses and other incentives. One special ed teacher in the story made $87K last year. I imagine those positions will become more desirable than ones here in VA, particularly as DC further gentrifies and crime in and around the schools keeps declining.
There are also lots of articles about teachers being fired in DC because they chose to work with difficult populations who didn't make enough gains on paper. Their "review" process is sketchy at best for rating teachers.

I work with low income, immigrant, "difficult" populations in Fairfax County and love it, but you couldn't pay me enough to take a job in DC. I am grateful that FFX doesn't tie student achievement to teacher job security or pay.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
If you're interested, check out www.independenteducation.org for listings within private schools in the area. Not sure about public schools, but private schools will begin interviewing in the spring for the 2012-2013 year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia