Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM

20 posts, read 32,541 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to give you all an update since you were so helpful with your comments: we arrived in Reston a month ago and have been staying in a temporary housing arranged by my husband's company. It is in the Town Center area and I can't tell you how much we are enjoying living here. Reston is beautiful and I don't feel isolated since I can walk one block and walk around Market street, grab a coffee, shop, take my son to the park, all within walking distance. Love it! We have until the end of May to find our own place and that's where the problem starts. We've been looking for a 3 bedroom townhome in Reston and have not found anything suitable (our budget is $2500/month max - I know, not much for this area unfortunately). Anyway, we are still searching and have even started to look in Herndon in areas close to shops and not too far from Reston. I'm starting to get worried and may start looking a little further, like Brambleton or Sterling.... Anyway, these are the news so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Hope you find something you like right in Reston. It's a great area, I agree. If you're willing to branch out, I like Cascades. The area near Lowes Island is my favorite--but that's because it works for our particular tastes (being near parks, the river, etc.). You might prefer living near Cascades Marketplace. Then you would be within walking distance of all kinds of shops, as well as Nova Community College, the library, etc. I highly recommend getting involved with community programs at the library. It's a great way to make some new friends. And Reston would be just a few miles down the road.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hope you find something you like right in Reston. It's a great area, I agree. If you're willing to branch out, I like Cascades. The area near Lowes Island is my favorite--but that's because it works for our particular tastes (being near parks, the river, etc.). You might prefer living near Cascades Marketplace. Then you would be within walking distance of all kinds of shops, as well as Nova Community College, the library, etc. I highly recommend getting involved with community programs at the library. It's a great way to make some new friends. And Reston would be just a few miles down the road.
I've been trying to find out more info on the shops/restaurants at the Cascades Marketplace. Do you know if there is a website where I can find it? Thanks so much!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie2012 View Post
I've been trying to find out more info on the shops/restaurants at the Cascades Marketplace. Do you know if there is a website where I can find it? Thanks so much!
Unfortunately the Ted's Montana Grill there closed.

However, off the top of my head, I can think of: Noodles & Co, BGR Burger, The Don's Wood-fired Pizza (a fav of mine), China King, Boston Market, Corner Bakery, Famous Dave's BBQ, Baja Fresh, McDonalds, Starbucks, some bar, and Logans. I think Ruby Tuesday's closed too.

Then you have Giant, Home Depot, public library, Staples, Sports Authority, Marshalls, and a gym (I think), etc.

Cascades Marketplace is also very close to several other large shopping center areas.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM

The shops are listed here:

https://www.facebook.com/CascadesMarketplace?sk=info

although the list needs to be updated, since the Burger Joint has been open for awhile now. They also have a farmers market in the summer (although it's not as big as the Herndon one). Next to the marketplace is the library, a church, a big senior center, Residence Inn, and whatever restaurants are around the lake right now (there used to be a steak house, and that was a joes crab shack before that--not sure what it is now.)

There are also quite a few restaurants as well as a Michaels, Target, PetSmart, Discount Beverage, Costco, Office Depot, and other stores in the shopping plaza across Rt. 7 (Potomac Run Plaza). But, although this is close it's probably not something you'd want to walk to since it's on the other side of 7. There are also several office buildings which have medical offices, accountants, etc. Also, a large post office.

Last edited by Caladium; 04-18-2012 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-21-2012, 06:22 PM

We've visited some places in Cascades and the area around it today. Beautiful area. Not too many houses available and the ones we saw are just so... Outdated. They are obviously rental properties, no upgrades, old kitchens, bathrooms... I was a little disappointed. We saw a property in Belmont, outside of cthe club, but with access to everything in it, and it was just perfect. Beautiful home, the owner showed us around and she is a lovely lady. Not a single thing wrong with the house itself, only maybe the location: Belmont is a little far from the conveniences we fell so much in love in Reston. So that's that. Tough decision but we may go for the Belmont home. We are so tired of searching!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 AM

Belmont's a fun area and might work out really well. Granted, it's 10-15 minutes from Reston, but you're closer to Leesburg. They used to have an outstanding summer concert series right there in that large field in front of the Belmont Club. Well known groups like Blues Traveler and Charlie Daniels, not the typical Saturday Night concert fare. Not sure if they're doing that this year, though (budget cuts). Also, you're near Wegmans and the National Conference Center, and that's a plus.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:32 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Belmont's a fun area and might work out really well. Granted, it's 10-15 minutes from Reston, but you're closer to Leesburg. They used to have an outstanding summer concert series right there in that large field in front of the Belmont Club. Well known groups like Blues Traveler and Charlie Daniels, not the typical Saturday Night concert fare. Not sure if they're doing that this year, though (budget cuts). Also, you're near Wegmans and the National Conference Center, and that's a plus.
Unfortunately, the Loudoun Summer Music Fest was cancelled last year, and not coming back this year either.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:45 PM

979 posts, read 1,774,985 times
We just bought a single family home in Sugarland Run (Sterling, near Cascades) for $314k, which amounts to a monthly mortgage payment (including escrow for taxes, insurance, and PMI) of less than $2,000 (we put 10% down). SO far, we LOVE it. We've been here for about a month. I wouldn't say we're walking distance to the stores and restaurants, but it's all of a 5-10-minute drive away, and there is pretty much EVERYTHING nearby. There are walking paths throughout the community, which is nice.

I will say the homes are a bit outdated on the exterior since they were built in the '70s, but some have been updated inside. Ours has 5 bedrooms including master suite, 2.5 baths (updated with new tile and fixtures), updated kitchen (stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, new cabinets, tile floor, tile backsplash), good sized fenced back yard...there is a small community playground just steps outside our back fence. I have a 4-week-old baby and two dogs, and we're very happy with this community.

My husband works in Reston, and it's about a 20-minute commute for him each way, and he works 8am-5pm, so that's pretty much the thick of rush hour.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
We just bought a single family home in Sugarland Run (Sterling, near Cascades) for $314k, which amounts to a monthly mortgage payment (including escrow for taxes, insurance, and PMI) of less than $2,000 (we put 10% down). SO far, we LOVE it. We've been here for about a month. I wouldn't say we're walking distance to the stores and restaurants, but it's all of a 5-10-minute drive away, and there is pretty much EVERYTHING nearby. There are walking paths throughout the community, which is nice.

I will say the homes are a bit outdated on the exterior since they were built in the '70s, but some have been updated inside. Ours has 5 bedrooms including master suite, 2.5 baths (updated with new tile and fixtures), updated kitchen (stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, new cabinets, tile floor, tile backsplash), good sized fenced back yard...there is a small community playground just steps outside our back fence. I have a 4-week-old baby and two dogs, and we're very happy with this community.

My husband works in Reston, and it's about a 20-minute commute for him each way, and he works 8am-5pm, so that's pretty much the thick of rush hour.
Congratulations on your baby! What an exciting moment, a new baby and a new house! It is great that you love your neighborhood, this is so important, even more if you are a stay at home mom. It looks like we will end up in Belmont after all. Not that it is not a good neighborhood, it is just that i really wanted a place in Reston, but after looking at more thn 10 crappy/outdated/dirty places we figured we needed to Get over it. One place even had mouse droppings! we either had bad timing or there aren't really a lot of decent places for rent in our price range in Reston . So, Belmont it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia