Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:03 PM

239 posts, read 415,044 times

Advertisements

Great, thanks.
I will give her a call. This is a great tip. I suppose you've used her before. She has a great site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,227,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagafrika View Post
Great, thanks.
I will give her a call. This is a great tip. I suppose you've used her before. She has a great site.
Yes, I used her company when I lived in Sterling and was hearbroken when I learned she didn't service my new location in Western Loudoun. I've also recommended The Wagging Tail to a friend, and they love her, too.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:05 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,759,845 times
Pizza! One of my passions in life.

I'm a huge fan of Pizzeria Orso in Falls Church. Also, Pupatella on Wilson is pretty good; some people rave about it, but it's Neapolitan, which is a bit floppier than the pizza of my dreams.

I think CaliTerp is from CA and went to UMD (the Terrapins, or Terps), but we don't hold those things against her!

I could do a whole thread on screen names--especially on how I picture people in my head and then realize they're the other gender.

Also, the title of this thread has put that Lenny Kravitz song ("Are You Gonna Go My Way?") in my head for at least an hour.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:00 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,972,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I think CaliTerp is from CA and went to UMD (the Terrapins, or Terps), but we don't hold those things against her!
*ding ding ding*

The 07 is for my graduation year.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,115,126 times
Register your name, location, and work-hours with "commuter connections", a well-known service of the washington metro area council of governments. Commuter Connections

Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Thank you, I'm looking forward to having my own place again! I overlooked your posting -- Blackberry response --- (I miss some stuff as I commute) but wish to thank you for all these tidbits! What a thoughtful post. :-)

Old 02-17-2012, 04:17 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,227,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

I could do a whole thread on screen names--especially on how I picture people in my head and then realize they're the other gender.

You should!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 PM

JfromReston, hello, my last response was for you. Thank you very much.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,969,868 times
If you want fast, forget metro. It's slow, costly, and often breaks down or has some kind of problem.

Vienna has the Italian Gourmet which makes great sandwiches and has other italian food. The Italian Gourmet: Catering and lunches in Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun VA counties, Manassas VA, Washington DC, and parts of Montgomery MD county. We Deliver! For pizza I like Church Street Pizza in Vienna. Church Street Pizzeria - Vienna, VA

Good luck on your move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagafrika View Post
CaliTerp07, er, patience is the LEAST of my virtues. LOL, LOL! thankfully my humor saves the day.
I have NOT looked at the bus, but I will (I really don't want to, though). I want speed!

South Jersey Styx, gonna' miss Delios on 33...and the NY bagels. oooo, am I ever.
Right. I saw the Ballston metro stop. It's like, mmmn, .4 miles, not bad.

So don't go down to the Vienna stop and then take it to Ballston? I don't know.

The Forum is great for shout outs like this, and I really appreciate the feedback.

'Cause I'm just a girl alone in the world.

It's always a bit scary going to a new place.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 AM

948 posts, read 1,408,698 times
Welcome to our earth-toned paradise of Reston! As a fellow Eye-Italian-American and transplant from the NYC area (I'm guessing you might be from NY or NJ), you will find life here different but very comfortable. But I do suggest you learn the virtue of patience, since many aspects of life here are not as fast-paced as in states farther north. By the way, if you want to get a good satirical look at your new home read the website www.restonian.org with its sardonic take on all things Reston.

As for some of your specific questions, I second J From Reston's commuting advice about taking the 554 to the West Falls Church Metro. FYI, within two years Metro will be coming to Wiehle Avenue in Reston.

Auto mechanics: you will be living very close to the North Point Village Center. I use the mechanics at the Sunoco station there and have been very pleased with their work (and they're MUCH cheaper than going to a dealership for service).

Italian food: Cafesano in Reston's South Lakes Village Center has very good Mediterranean food. My favorite upscale local Italian restaurant is Zeffirelli's in Herndon, next town over to the west. As for Italian specialities, there is (or at least used to be) an Italian food speciality shop on Maple Avenue in Vienna. Lucia's in the Fox Mill Shopping Center has good take-out Italian pastries, although I'm not overwhelmed at all by their restaurant food.

Since you seem to be into wine (not implying you have a problem!), be sure to visit all the nice wineries to the west of you in Loudoun County. You can really make a nice day of it, especially if you're not the designated driver.

Final note about Reston's identity as urban vs. provincial: in a way, you get the best of both worlds. You have mass transit and Reston Town Center, on the one hand, yet Reston is far enough removed enough that I've seen deer, coyotes, foxes, beavers, a black bear, and a bald eagle all within 1/4 mile of my house.

Good look on the move, and just remember to substitue "y'all" for "youse" and y'all/youse will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia