Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 7,594 times

Advertisements

I'm a high school student in Alexandria, Virginia and I was wondering if Fairfax County Public Schools or any other government branch of Fairfax County offers free Metro bus and rail rides for students? I stay after school a lot to do work and many times I ride the bus home. It has become a bit of hassle because I now spend so much each month on bus and rail money and I just wish my school could so something. DC students ride the Metro for free, so why can't we Northern Virginia students ride it for free as well? I've asked our school and other people about it and they don't know if Fairfax County offers subsidized Metro ride. I was wondering if any of you guys here know of a way I could ride for free? It would really help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM

518 posts, read 1,450,814 times
DCPS does not operate busses for students. Students use public transit to school or walk/bike. That is why there is a subsidy for DC students who use Metro.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Doesn't your school run late buses on certain days? I know the school I teach at does, 3x a week.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
I sympathize, and you sound like a great kid. Unfortunately, I think free rides for kids at that age might end up encouraging those kids who are looking for trouble to ride the metro in large bunches, which might result in fights or other incidents on the trains.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Doesn't your school run late buses on certain days? I know the school I teach at does, 3x a week.
Only on Mondays

Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I sympathize, and you sound like a great kid. Unfortunately, I think free rides for kids at that age might end up encouraging those kids who are looking for trouble to ride the metro in large bunches, which might result in fights or other incidents on the trains.
Thanks! I understand what you mean. I've been to DC many times and when I come back home at night, I see a lot of teenagers playing around in the metro stations late at night.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona680 View Post
Only on Mondays
Bummer That's really a shame--especially with athletics and such after school, you'd think there'd be a demand for late buses.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Ive suggested that to local school board members - I think it might be worthwhile for high schoolers (in FFX this would be more for buses than metro) while it might not save them on school buses (due to the nature of the routes and schedules) it could reduce some of the congestion around schools, if there were fewer students driving, and fewer parental dropoffs. We had our DD take the local bus to HS a few times - given the difficult school bus arrangements for the school that must not be named (bus to the local HS first and then transfer which made little sense given how close we are to her school) we usually drove her, but as a "car lite" family, sometimes we needed another option. She was just fine on the bus - (and when she went to Israel for gap year, she was the bus/rail expert for all her friends)

The problem is that most of the benefits of reduced congestion don't accrue to FCPS. And at most schools parking spaces are already there and not an incremental cost - so if they can't reduce their school bus costs (and I suppose they can't) they have no incentive to do that. I mean unless the county (which should have a broader view) earmarks some funds for that.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
The problem is that most of the benefits of reduced congestion don't accrue to FCPS. And at most schools parking spaces are already there and not an incremental cost - so if they can't reduce their school bus costs (and I suppose they can't) they have no incentive to do that. I mean unless the county (which should have a broader view) earmarks some funds for that.
Transportation is an agenda item at this Saturday's Joint Board of Supervisors and School Board Retreat.

=====
1:15 p.m. Explore Opportunities for Further Collaboration
Afternoon Discussion Facilitated by David Brazer, Associate Professor,
George Mason University

Staff Presentations and Boards Discussion
Shared Facilities
Human Services
Transportation

Other Opportunities?

=====

Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
....We had our DD take the local bus to HS a few times - given the difficult school bus arrangements for the school that must not be named (bus to the local HS first and then transfer which made little sense given how close we are to her school) we usually drove her, but as a "car lite" family, sometimes we needed another option. She was just fine on the bus....

What would make more sense, a dedicated TJ bus for the Annandale attendance area? Mmmm...given the relatively small size of the Annandale area...it might be possible for one bus to gather up all the TJ students, but I'm pretty sure they would have to get up earlier. Maybe two dedicated TJ buses would be better? If they give Annandale a dedicated TJ bus(es)....what would they tell the parents in the other 20-some pyramids?

Or do you think having your daughter's bus take a little detour through TJ on it's way to Annandale High would make more sense? That would be impossible....most Annandale bus drivers drop their HS students and head STRAIGHT for their first Holmes or Poe MS stop. And many of them need a few green lights to make it on time!

Last edited by car54; 02-23-2012 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia