Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semreads View Post
But, if I move mid-way(Springfield area) I'll have horrible traffic for the 6 months I'll be reporting to the Arlington office, correct?
Correct.

Quote:
I selected the Springfield area, is there public transit available into Arlington /Ballston area??
Yes. One Metrorail station: Franconia-Springfield. Plus buses.

Quote:
Springfield area to Quantico is what you call a reverse commute( going against the traffic), correct?
Right again--at least on 395S, it is. (There might be smaller roads that are clogged in that direction, but I doubt it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
logically yes, but there is no "true" reverse commute in this area. i've lived here long enough to know that traffic may move better in one direction, but its never smooth sailing over a long distance...
What do I have to do--pick you up and give you a ride to Belvoir from Arlington some morning? Maybe I should video-record my commute while I drive. (Kidding.) Maybe you don't consider 20 miles a long distance, but it sure seems like a reverse commute to me.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 02-23-2012 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Oops--Huntington Metro is in Alexandria. Doh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:10 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,584,924 times
go here and look at the traffic cams on 95 during rush hour. you will get an idea of the bottlenecks on 95

TrafficLand.com -- Washington, DC

Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM

17 posts, read 15,991 times
Quote:
logically yes, but there is no "true" reverse commute in this area. i've lived here long enough to know that traffic may move better in one direction, but its never smooth sailing over a long distance

yes, you could blue line up to rosslyn and take the orange line out to ballston. this is what i would do
I'm assuming that means I'd transfer at Rosslyn to the orange line to get to ballston. Approximately, how long of a commute is that from Franconia/Springfield? And, is that rail or bus?

Also, what type of rental would $1200 get in that area? Roomates are not an option!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
go here and look at the traffic cams on 95 during rush hour. you will get an idea of the bottlenecks on 95

TrafficLand.com -- Washington, DC
I'm going to check this out today! Thanks for the link.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,956,467 times
Quote:
I'm assuming that means I'd transfer at Rosslyn to the orange line to get to ballston. Approximately, how long of a commute is that from Franconia/Springfield? And, is that rail or bus?

Also, what type of rental would $1200 get in that area? Roomates are not an option!
Metro - Home page

Use the trip planner from franconia to ballston. It's around 40-45 minutes on the train, plus time to park/walk on either end.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Metro - Home page

Use the trip planner from franconia to ballston. It's around 40-45 minutes on the train, plus time to park/walk on either end.
Another helpful link!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 PM

4,453 posts, read 8,149,406 times
Quote:
driving down to visit family i take 95 and I'm sitting in traffic, both ways until I clear fredericksburg. and this is on the weekends.

irregardless, its not a situation i'd want to be in
The weekends are a different animal. Weekdays, I95 southbound isn't too bad. You'll hit some traffic exiting on the backlick/FFX pkway towards Ft. Belvoir but you can stay clear by being in the left lanes.

Springfield/Kingstowne would be a nice place to shoot for. There is metro access to balston area

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,687 times
Quote:
if i were him, i wouldn't be driving from franconia to arlington. metro all the way

franconia is 25 miles from quantico and 11 from ballston. i'd be willing to bet they will be equal commutes at worst

THIS in a nutshell.

The Metro is right there and goes right to Arlington...like all over Arlington.

And get real, people. Springfield to Quantico ON A WEEKDAY isn't bad at all. It's the WEEKEND that kills you. 95S on a Saturday in the summertime=suicide.

I think with that area, you'll be fine.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
THIS in a nutshell.

The Metro is right there and goes right to Arlington...like all over Arlington.

And get real, people. Springfield to Quantico ON A WEEKDAY isn't bad at all. It's the WEEKEND that kills you. 95S on a Saturday in the summertime=suicide.

I think with that area, you'll be fine.

I agree, Springfield/Franconia sounds like my best bet. I can't worry about the weekends at this point! So, is $1200 reasonable for that area? What can I expect in that range?

Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,687 times
Quote:

It could get you a decent apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia