Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 PM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Merrifield could be a good choice. It's about 30-35 minutes from Dunn Loring Metro to Federal Triangle on the Orange Line. There's a mix of apartments there, and a growing number of amenities in the new Mosaic District, but it's not a big bar/party scene like parts of Arlington and DC. Also not too far on the Beltway from MBC, though Tysons is closer.
I totally agree with JEB77. Merrifield is an excellent choice. They are doing alot of construction on the roads and around several buildings. Once that work is done, it is going to be an awesome neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
you mention capital hill in your OP. LOL, from the way you described what you are looking for I think the look on your face would be priceless when you actually saw where you would be living.

stay out of n. arlington or any popular neighborhood of NW DC if you want to avoid bars and partying.

check out vienna/fairfax. its more suburban and you can get a place close to the vienna metro line and take the 30-40 minute metro ride into DC

Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 AM

236 posts, read 479,185 times
be prepared, nearly the whole Va section of the beltway loop when you are stopped by police even for a minor violation they approach you with hand on gun now... Desperate times require desperate measures, personally I think they are losing good field judgement... This serves to condition the populace to desensitize even further, even though the commonwealths already are a revenue generating police states, and 1 of only 4 in this great nation.

the wealthiest in the community in a commonwealth get to make the laws... to protect themselves from us serfs, just like they did back home in England before the American revolution.

Moderator Cut: Off-topic.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-27-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 PM

173 posts, read 521,720 times
Thanks, based on your responses I am considering Fairfax (Vienna, McLean, Falls Church, Merrifield), Old Town Alexandria, and Arlington (except north Arlington because of the bar/party scene). My main goal is to be able to get to the metro and to the orange line in reasonable time. Also, question, someone mentioned apartments on Lee Highway and Quincy Road in Arlington, that is north arlington right? Is that a rowdy area too? I think I may skip Arlington just to be safe, then when I move there I will check out the area and see if its somewhere I can stay when my lease ends.

Also, most of the apartments in Fairfax seem to be 1,600 and above. Is that the going rate for this area? Apts in Alexandria and Arlington seem to be lower from my research. Thank you all for your help.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenSoldier View Post
Also, most of the apartments in Fairfax seem to be 1,600 and above. Is that the going rate for this area? Apts in Alexandria and Arlington seem to be lower from my research. Thank you all for your help.

$1600 is the high side of average for a 1BR apt in this area. Apartments in Alexandria and especially Arlington can actually be even higher in some cases.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM

Thanks Tone509!! Apartments at Regents Place is an apt I am heavily considering. The location is Fairfax, VA, close to Vienna. Clocktower Place is the street, the zip is 22031. Based on what I have been considering, do you think this is a good move? They only offer a 12 month lease. The apts in Merrifield are a little too expensive now. I figure just getting a good apartment with good ratings for 12 months will allow me to get used to the area. Plus I will be near the metro. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:01 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenSoldier View Post
Thanks Tone509!! Apartments at Regents Place is an apt I am heavily considering. The location is Fairfax, VA, close to Vienna. Clocktower Place is the street, the zip is 22031. Based on what I have been considering, do you think this is a good move? They only offer a 12 month lease. The apts in Merrifield are a little too expensive now. I figure just getting a good apartment with good ratings for 12 months will allow me to get used to the area. Plus I will be near the metro. Thanks.
I'm not so familiar with Fairfax City and Vienna although I don't believe there are any "bad" let alone rowdy areas around there. Downtown Fairfax may be convenient enough for an evening out after work; you might run into some George Mason U. students among a variety of other folks.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
I know Regents Place! They're fine apartments. You'll be safe and sound. You can walk to the grocery store and the metro. I say sign the lease. Your commute will probably be about an hour NOT 30-40 minutes though.

Yeah while Fairfax has a few run down apartments and a trailer park, there are no bad areas. Its basic suburbia.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:40 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Oh yeah, I know Regents Park (not Place, I believe). They're right by Vienna Metro. I knew someone who lived there many years ago, and she was a pretty discriminating person (okay a bit of a snob). You can hope on the Metro or walk to Pan Am Shopping Center which has a Safeway, a pharmacy, a burrito place, a computer store, Michael's, and a few restaurants. It's definitely decent. While the address is "Fairfax" it's really almost Vienna. I'd say "Welcome to the neighborhood" because my house is only a few miles away. Sadly, I'm not in it anymore. But welcome, nonetheless!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 AM

Thanks a lot for your help.

Looks as if someone reserved the apartment at Regent Park before I got a chance too. Now I'm waiting for one to open around my price range. However, I have started looking around more. Tysons view at2206 Pimmit Run Ln, Falls Church is one apartment/area I'm considering. Another is Broad Falls Apartments at, 809 W. Broad St, Falls Church, VA 22046 (this one seems the most promising now) . Anyone know anything about these areas?

I'm also looking into Arlington even though I prefer suburban, non-rowdy areas, where people mind their own business. Some apartments I saw that appeared pretty good were Barton House at 2525 N. 10th Street, Arlington, VA. , and Oakland Apartments, 3710 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VA. I ruled out Arlington initially because I thought it was a rowdy area filled with bars and frat type individuals. However, do you think it is wise to consider an apartment here considering my needs in my initial post (I just want a place where I'm less likely to be bothered). The rep at Oakland Apartments told me he believes Arlington is the safest of all of the metropolitan DC area.

I also can't seem to find a good apartment in Old Town, most of the reviews for apartments in that area aren't the best, though I know apartmentratings.com has a lot of disgruntled individuals on there. Thanks again.

Last edited by HeavenSoldier; 03-13-2012 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia