Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenSoldier View Post
Thanks a lot for your help.

Looks as if someone reserved the apartment at Regent Park before I got a chance too. Now I'm waiting for one to open around my price range. However, I have started looking around more. Tysons view at2206 Pimmit Run Ln, Falls Church is one apartment/area I'm considering. Another is Broad Falls Apartments at, 809 W. Broad St, Falls Church, VA 22046 (this one seems the most promising now) . Anyone know anything about these areas?
You are basically in "downtown" Falls Church although it is not rowdy but can get busy as Broad Street is a main thoroughfare.

Quote:
I'm also looking into Arlington even though I prefer suburban, non-rowdy areas, where people mind their own business. Some apartments I saw that appeared pretty good were Barton House at 2525 N. 10th Street, Arlington, VA. , and Oakland Apartments, 3710 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VA. I ruled out Arlington initially because I thought it was a rowdy area filled with bars and frat type individuals. However, do you think it is wise to consider an apartment here considering my needs in my initial post (I just want a place where I'm less likely to be bothered). The rep at Oakland Apartments told me he believes Arlington is the safest of all of the metropolitan DC area.
Arlington is a huge urbanish county. The "Orange Line" area of concentrated nightlife is relatively small in the grand scheme of things. Since Arlington is a high-density area, "stuff happens" more often than it might, say, in western Loudoun County but much less than in parts of DC.

Quote:
I also can't seem to find a good apartment in Old Town, most of the reviews for apartments in that area aren't the best, though I know apartmentratings.com has a lot of disgruntled individuals on there. Thanks again.
It may depend on what your budget is (which I admit to forgetting). Older buildings along Washington St/GW Parkway may receive less glowing reviews than the newer complexes in the Carlyle area. You may want to look into condo rentals as well. Parts of Old Town, especially east of Washington, are surprisingly quiet and peaceful for being so close to the heart of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:54 PM

173 posts, read 521,720 times
Thanks... I talked to someone at Hunting Terrace on South Washington Street, they don't have bad reviews. Is this a pretty good area, is it quiet and peaceful? I remember you recommended it earlier. Also, does it provide access to the orange line? Additionally is Old Town closer to downtown D.C, vs. falls church and fairfax. Last question, is Old Town a Diverse area? Thanks again.

Last edited by HeavenSoldier; 03-13-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM

22 posts, read 44,925 times
Have you thought of MD at all? Also hate to break it to you but you are going to be hard pressed to find a 30 minute commute without making significant sacrifices.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Alexandria is on the Yellow and Blue lines.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenSoldier View Post
Thanks... I talked to someone at Hunting Terrace on South Washington Street, they don't have bad reviews. Is this a pretty good area, is it quiet and peaceful? I remember you recommended it earlier. Also, does it provide access to the orange line? Additionally is Old Town closer to downtown D.C, vs. falls church and fairfax. Last question, is Old Town a Diverse area? Thanks again.
Around that part of South Washington St, you'll deal with traffic noise and you may cross paths with people walking/jogging/biking down the Mt. Vernon Trail along the waterfront. Parts of Old Town are very active but not "rowdy" by any stretch. In terms of employees and visitors, it is diverse. The "typical" resident is often an older white empty-nest couple, at least in the owned condos and townhomes. There is an interesting circumstance where some of Alexandria's public housing (and its predominantly black residents) is juxtaposed upon some of Old Town's (and the city/region's) most expensive homes. However, any issues that crop up from that are usually between said public housing residents. Hunting Terrace is not near that area.

Alexandria and Arlington are both closer to DC than Fairfax County. As Flamingo13 mentioned, you can catch either the Blue or Yellow lines to DC, most conveniently at King Street. To transfer to the Orange line, you would need to take the Blue line to the Rosslyn station.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 AM

Thanks tone for your awesome assistance. I will take your observations into consideration. I am now considering Tysons view in Falls Church, near the Idlywood Plaza and Oakland Apartments in South Arlington on Columbia. I'm going to call the police in those areas for crime state purposes. I have heard a few things about South Arlington that has me concerned. Nevertheless, my blessed sister is going to visit those apartments for me, thank God. Hopefully it turns out well. Thanks again, you all are always so helpful.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeLUMINOUSnotJulius View Post
Have you thought of MD at all? Also hate to break it to you but you are going to be hard pressed to find a 30 minute commute without making significant sacrifices.
Significant sacrificies? Like moving closer to D.C.? Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:50 PM

I decided to go with Tysons View in Falls Church. Police Officer had great things to say about Tysons View and the Pimmit Run area. You all were so helpful. I can't wait to goto the Silver Diner when I get there, I enjoyed the food there Thanks again.

Last edited by HeavenSoldier; 03-16-2012 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia