Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,893 times

Advertisements

hi,
do you guys have instances of coyotes coming into your yards and eating pets in the NOVA area?

I looked online and it says coyotes are in every state but I've heard different things about urban areas. I'm coming to visit for the first time in October, so I can't name any particular city.

Also, is it considered un-neighborly to put up a fence if you have 1/4 acre or more land? I haven't seen any fences in pictures of homes for sale that have a large back yard...

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 10:09 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
hi,
do you guys have instances of coyotes coming into your yards and eating pets in the NOVA area? I looked online and it says coyotes are in every state but I've heard different things about urban areas. I'm coming to visit for the first time in October, so I can't name any particular city.
NoVa has a coyote population. It used to be trivial, but it is now quite well established. Coyotes like to eat rats. They also like to eat Canada goose eggs. They are doing their part to help control the populations of a couple of pests. Unfortunately, they also like to eat small dogs and cats. If you have some of those and value them, don't let them out at night. Coyotes are entirely nocturnal, and unless rabid, are non-confrontational. If you yell at one, it will run away. They are about as big a threat to humans as racoons or skunks. Maybe less so than the skunks. But they are certainly opportunistic enough to scarf down a quick meal that simply wanders into its path, so take steps to keep Fluffy from finding herself in that situation. The coyotes here are eastern coyotes, a distinct and different breed from what you might see in a western movie. They are gray or brown in color, heavier, and don't howl very much. On a quick sighting they are easily confused with two more common animals, gray and red foxes, of which there are tons. With recent press reports of coyote-sightings, people encountering a fox are convinced they have seen a coyote. So it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Also, is it considered un-neighborly to put up a fence if you have 1/4 acre or more land? I haven't seen any fences in pictures of homes for sale that have a large back yard...
Not really, but it might be considered undesirable by your homeowners association if you have one. I live in a semi-natural area that's defined by two creeks. We get a decent amount of wildlife through here. We have quite a bit more than a quarter-acre, and the back third or so of the lot is fenced. Nobody but the deer complains. The deer take a very dim view of the fence indeed. They charge it...they jump on it. They'll do anything to get at my wife's flowers, especially with the drought this summer! It's too bad that coyotes don't eat deer...

thanks! [/quote]

Old 09-08-2007, 12:00 AM

421 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Thanks Saganista! I really appreciate the info even though it was totally depressing

The damn coyotes are absolutely everywhere. It looks like I'll never get to own some miniature sheep/goats. Plus my cats drive me up the wall with their meowing all night to go outside. Its like Chinese water torture to hear them keep it up for HOURS.

I had heard they were afraid of mules because they kick, but that may be a myth...plus I didn't really want to own a mule! Do you know if a big dog scares them off?

I just happen to have a bunch of info on deer deterrents that I collected for my Mom who has a big deer problem also. Hope its helpful

DEER DETERRENTS

Deterrents are easy and inexpensive, Since deer feed from ground level to about six feet high (that’s six feet above the snow line in winter), this is the area where such repellents should be applied.

One of the easiest controls -- hanging bars of smelly soap in the garden, the stronger the scent the better. I actually buy them in bulk at the grocer, then cut them in half and hang in burlap or cheesecloth stapled to stakes in the garden in early spring. I find they are still scented going into the winter.

If using soap bars, don’t hang them directly on shrubs. The soap will drip down the stems, attracting rodents which eat the soap and the bark too. some soaps may even attract small mammals such as raccoons and are dragged off and nibbled!

soaps containing coconut oils may attract deer. The repellent factor seems to be tallow, that part derived from animal fatty acids. Studies have also found deer can feed to within three feet of soap in the garden.

Another popular remedy – hanging human hair in bags of nylon or cheesecloth. It is easy to find at local hair salons, but loses its scent in a few weeks and needs replacement at least monthly. Deer in urban areas, used to humans, may not respond to this repellent.

Repellent plants are those that are highly aromatic, in the offensive scent category for deer. These are often perennial herbs such as artemisia, tansy, and yarrow. Culinary herbs such as mint, thyme, tarragon, oregano, dill, and chives can also be interplanted throughout the garden.

The most effective of the danger scents are the predator urines. These can be purchased commercially, or perhaps obtained from zoos. Contrary to what you might think, deer are afraid of not only predators they may encounter such as wolves and coyotes, but exotic animals such as lions and tigers. Soak some cotton or cloth with the product, and place in plastic containers in the garden with holes drilled in the sides. Replenish as the scent dissipates.

Some pleasant scents that interfere with deer noses include mint oils (often combined with pepper and garlic), cloves and cinnamon, or citrus.

For best control, remember some facts about deer. They are afraid of anything new, yet learn quickly and adapt, so try several repellents and rotate them often.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:33 AM

Thanks. I'll keep the soap thing in mind for next year. I actually like having the deer around. They are beautiful animals, and they're perfectly welcome to most of the place. I feel like I'm elbowing in on their turf more than the other way around. They've been here for many thousands of years, and people only for maybe a hundred. Anyway, there's a woodsy area, a meadow area, a wild berry patch, and the areas down by the creeks. The deer can have their way with all of those, I just wish they'd stay outside the fence. But no-o-o-o-o! It's only every few years that they really get uppity about it though. This was one of them, I think because of the drought.

Anyway, even though we have coyotes, I haven't seen one. My wife is sure she has, but from her description, I think it was a gray fox. We have more reds than grays, so I think she saw something a little more grayish than usual and assumed coyote. We also have ordinances in Fairfax County about what sort of livestock you can keep. No crocodiles, for instance. I think that one must have an interesting history. But you can keep almost anything non-exotic as long as it's a pet, though there are lot-size restrictions for larger animals (including dogs). If it gets commercial, you've got serious regs concerning proper care and maintenance to abide by. A friend of a friend has sheep...big ones though. Very big. I sometimes see him out walking with the sheep on a leash. That's a weird sight. He also has giant rabbits. Two to a bushel basket. You couldn't fit any more in than that. We content ourselves with just the cats though. Most times more, but just five right now. They get the run of the fenced area, but only with adult supervision. That seems to work as a compromise, although they always go in and out the same door, and if two adults happen to stand too near to that door, the cats do start to raise a ruckus. Haven't lost any though, which a lot of people can't say. Anyway, I think you could do reasonable numbers of mini goats or sheep in some of the less built up areas around here, but you would have to take steps to protect them. Otherwise, they're like free popcorn at the movie theater. Did I mention the hawks? They get hungry too, and have been known to nab a kitten or two. Mini-lamb and kid are probably tasty as well. It's always something...

Old 09-08-2007, 08:55 AM

116 posts, read 446,520 times
I've been living in the D.C. area all my life and I've never even met someone who's seen a coyote.

Odds of seeing one are pretty awful.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateo View Post
I've been living in the D.C. area all my life and I've never even met someone who's seen a coyote. Odds of seeing one are pretty awful.
Seeing one isn't really the scenario of concern. It's letting your kid's favorite puppy out at night to relieve itself, and then never seeing it again. Or if you have stock animals, seeing half the next generation disappear just because one night, the rats were a tad more clever than usual. Whether you see them or not, coyotes are here, and if you create an opportunity for them, they will take it...

Old 09-08-2007, 07:29 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,486 times
I saw a pack of coyotes in my neighborhood, but only once. I have a couple of small dogs and walk them pretty late. I used to take them out and let them run to their hearts content. Apparently coyotes like running to their hearts content at night also. Thankfully I had finished running my dogs and we were on our way up our walkway when the coyotes appeared out of nowhere. They had pups with them so I'm sure it would have gotten ugly...I have two feisty chihuahuas.

Even though I've seen coyotes, I don't really worry about them. If something attacks my pets, it's my own carelessness...I'm responsible for keeping them safe. I guess that's why I don't worry about coyotes because I don't leave my animals outside unattended.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:58 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Wow. This is interesting. I had never even realized there were any coyotes in Northern Virginia even though I grew up in the area.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 AM

19 posts, read 73,482 times
There may be coyotes in the area, but they are not a threat. They are native to this area, and we need to learn to live with them without trapping them or relocating them. We all need to remember that we are the ones invading their territory and forcing them to live in Suburban areas. Just be responsible, keep your pets on a leash and be aware of your surroundings - but this advice is for anyone in any situation. The best we can do is learn to appreciate the little wildlife we actually get to the pleasure to see in such an urban area.

Also, I have lived in NOVA my whole life, and even lived in Rockville MD (which is known for having coyotes) for 3 years and I have NEVER seen one. I think they are here, but it would be a rarity to see one. Foxes are much more common - dont get them confused.

Last edited by kruella; 09-10-2007 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: adding something!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:32 AM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateo View Post
I've been living in the D.C. area all my life and I've never even met someone who's seen a coyote.

Odds of seeing one are pretty awful.
Used to work in Sterling and would see them on athletic fields at night, not all the time, but have seen them. They are there believe it or not.

I would also see foxes, rabbits and deer...all at the same time...weird...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia