Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:58 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,277,137 times

Advertisements

I commute one hour each way but I go against traffic (Manassas to Front Royal) so it's an easy and fairly commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 05:15 AM

26,702 posts, read 41,834,200 times
My current commute is 10 minutes but last year this time it was 45 minutes and 42 miles. I didn't like it because I was driving that distance. If I were going to do that long a commute, I'd at least rather be on a train.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:09 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,473,055 times
Current commute: 20 - 30 mins (8 miles) one way.

I have always compromised buying a larger, bigger house in Ashburn, Centerville, etc. because both, my wife and I, hate longer commute times and believe in spending more time with the family or pursuing personal goals in your time outside of work. Living in Vienna, and now in Oakton, has given us a shorter commute and a great school district. Of course, I have this luxury because both our jobs are in Tysons Corner and have been there for the last twelve years!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:59 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,271,515 times
I live in Arlington about 3 miles from work and it takes 10 driving or a 20 min morning/15 evening bus route. I am not used to dealing with the traffic here and will do many things to avoid a long commute including financial and neighborhood sacrifices. It all depends on what you prioritize.

The general cutoff for most people I know is 35 minutes once you get past that you need a major incentive like a hip neighborhood, great school zone, fancy car, nice house or tons of extra saving money to make the sacrifice. My friends that do a long commute and don't have any of the above either have young children or are looking for other places to live.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 8,064 times
1. What's your average commute?
An hour and some change coming from Winchester to Fairfax

2. What's the longest you have done (and for how long)?
An hour and a half to an hour 45 from King George to Fairfax

3. Whatever you consider as an uncomfortable commute time (meaning, "would move to the next job as soon as you get one"), what is the %age hike (if any) that would convince you to take up this new position (and bite the bullet on the commute)?
The hour and a half commute from King George area was killer. I consider the difference between my current hour commute and that extra half hour my breaking point.
I'm willing to go an hour, maybe a little more but an hour and a half is just too long to do every day.
The reason I'm willing to do an hour is because I'm sick of the congestion in Fairfax and have found that I'm craving more open space and land, etc. So an hour is my compromise.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 AM

648 posts, read 1,335,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
My commute doubled when we moved to Middleburg. Ironically, we were moving because I couldn't stand my commute. I learned that the actual time spent on the commute is not what bothered me, it was sitting in traffic. I was irritated whenever I got home. Now (with twice the commute), I am not.

So, don't just calculate the time, the actual specific commute should factor in. And, what's good for the gander isn't necessarily good for the geese. Even if 100% of people respond that 70+ min commute is reasonable (and most people won't), it doesn't matter. It only matters what you can tolerate.

My average commute over my career is about 30 minutes. My current commute is 1.5 hours each way.
Totally agree. I went from having a 20 minute (6 mile) commute from South Riding to a 45 minute (24 mile) commute from Middleburg. But I leave so early, I never sit in traffic. And I'm fine with it.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:23 AM

648 posts, read 1,335,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post

I was wondering if a longer commute affected one's mood and relationships, and from the responses thus far, it sure does appear that way.
Yes, absolutely (if you're me, anyway.)

I used to commute an hour to work* (and longer coming home) in California. I did it for 7 years, and boy, was I an angry bird. Seriously, that commute made me hate life.

*SITTING in traffic.

Last edited by katyusha25; 03-02-2012 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: .

Old 03-02-2012, 08:24 AM

108 posts, read 210,582 times
My current commute is on average 20 minutes both way. I live in Old Town Alexandria and work in Arlington, so it's a relatively easy Metro ride.

The longest commute I did was on average 45 minutes both way.

An uncomfortable commute time for me would depend upon what methods of travel were available. For example, I would be miserable doing an hour commute one-way each day if it involved driving the entire distance. However, if it involved a combination of driving and taking VRE, then I would be inclined to consider it.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:42 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,657,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
Clarification: Moving about 10 miles from where we currently live, do contracting work in the area, and hence, need to keep my eyes and ears open for new contracts every now and then. Prefer Reston, Herndon, Chantilly, etc, but do work in McLean at times, and am okay with that. Where it gets tricky is - Falls Church, Alexandria and DC. Have consciously avoided that thus far, and hope to continue to be able to do it, but it gets tricky at times.

A 60 minute test commute seemed *okay* but it was done at off peak hours, and only once or twice. Doing it every single day at peak traffic might be a different beast altogether.

I was wondering if a longer commute affected one's mood and relationships, and from the responses thus far, it sure does appear that way.

Oh okay. Well, I live in Brambleton now actually. My fiancee commutes to Reston, I commute to McLean/Tysons, and I have a roommate that goes to DC for work everyday.

Reston from Brambleton takes her about 15-20 mins, using the roll road.

My commute to McLean is about 30 minutes on average. Again, I use the Toll Road as well.

My roommate takes the Loudoun County bus near Old Ox Road and takes it to DC. It's about 3 bucks one way or so he told me, and he said leaving the house til the time he's in his office is 55 mins-1hr (The bus takes the Airport median lane on 267W). So it's doable.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM

607 posts, read 1,218,870 times
I take public transport (bus and metro) and it takes me about 45 min to get to work.

My current commute is the longest I've had. I've been doing it for 2 years.

I'd consider any commute longer than the one I currently have to be uncomfortable. But I would commute up to an hour for a job with promotion potential, a 10% raise, or a really great perk like loan forgiveness or more of vacation time...as long as I could take public transport. If I had to drive to my new job, I'd want a 20% raise to cover the cost of a car and parking and I wouldn't want to drive more than 30 min. But if it was a good opportunity, I'd most likely take the job and move somewhere closer rather than deal with a longer commute. I'm a renter so moving wouldn't be a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia