Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 PM

424 posts, read 1,479,577 times

Advertisements

As we are getting ready to make the soon-to-happen move to Brambleton, commute times have once again cropped up as points of discussion in the family.

I am very comfortable with 30 to 45 minutes of commute, each way, but an extremely uncomfortable for every additional minute. Trying to win some employers with a 2 day telecommute option but it ain't flying very well.

Is it reasonable to not want to do a 70+ minute commute each way, every day of the week? Or, is that considered being unreasonable?

1. What's your average commute?
2. What's the longest you have done (and for how long)?
3. Whatever you consider as an uncomfortable commute time (meaning, "would move to the next job as soon as you get one"), what is the %age hike (if any) that would convince you to take up this new position (and bite the bullet on the commute)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:42 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
On average it is about 20 minutes each way. I have a very narrow window of tolerable commute times--more than 10 minutes, less than 30.

I interned in Kingstowne one summer, while living on campus in college park. It was while they were doing construction on the WW bridge. OMG, 90 minutes in the morning, 2 hours in the evening. I kid you not, that commute almost destroyed my relationship with my (now) husband. I HATE traffic. It puts me in the absolute worst mood.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
My commute doubled when we moved to Middleburg. Ironically, we were moving because I couldn't stand my commute. I learned that the actual time spent on the commute is not what bothered me, it was sitting in traffic. I was irritated whenever I got home. Now (with twice the commute), I am not.

So, don't just calculate the time, the actual specific commute should factor in. And, what's good for the gander isn't necessarily good for the geese. Even if 100% of people respond that 70+ min commute is reasonable (and most people won't), it doesn't matter. It only matters what you can tolerate.

My average commute over my career is about 30 minutes. My current commute is 1.5 hours each way.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 PM

214 posts, read 488,092 times
I wouldn't want to spend more than 25 minutes in the car, driving. I could tolerate a longer commute if I was being driven (train/bus) but not much longer.

Just curious-why are you moving first, then job hunting? Most people do it in the reverse order.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 PM

160 posts, read 279,516 times
my current commute is between 60-70 minutes driving and metro . I use that time to read and wind down. I also telecommute 1 day per week, which makes a huge difference.

I was dreading the commute when we moved to ffx county from Arlington, but it doesn't bother me much now. In fact, though it is longer, it is much more convenient, since I drive to the metro garage and don't have to rely on a bus to take me to metro.

If I had to drive, I could probably only stand about 45 minutes, especially in stop and go traffic. It makes me crazy.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
3. Whatever you consider as an uncomfortable commute time (meaning, "would move to the next job as soon as you get one"), what is the %age hike (if any) that would convince you to take up this new position (and bite the bullet on the commute)?
1. 20 minutes
2. 1 hour and 15 minutes one way, commuting in Massachusetts, and I did that for 6 years. It would need to be extreme circumstances for me to fathom even the possibility to do anything like that again.
3. There is absolutely no percentage hike for me to have a longer commute. I have a fabulous job and incredible flexibility and an easy commute (and I also telecommute). Not giving that up, thank you!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
1. 1.5 miles, 4 minutes
2. 16 miles, about 40-45 minutes from near Montclair (PWC) to Springfield for about 8 years.
3. I don't know how much it would take for me to go back to a longer commute. It's pretty nice being a few minutes from the house.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 PM

361 posts, read 737,645 times
1. Average commute: 25 or so minutes a.m.; 35 minutes p.m....
2. Longest commute: an hour or so -- but against traffic, and spent with talking books...
3. Might go to the ends of the earth for a job I love, a job with a mission.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:51 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
Quote:
As we are getting ready to make the soon-to-happen move to Brambleton, commute times have once again cropped up as points of discussion in the family.

I am very comfortable with 30 to 45 minutes of commute, each way, but an extremely uncomfortable for every additional minute. Trying to win some employers with a 2 day telecommute option but it ain't flying very well.

Is it reasonable to not want to do a 70+ minute commute each way, every day of the week? Or, is that considered being unreasonable?

Where is your job located? That's the big question.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 PM

424 posts, read 1,479,577 times
Clarification: Moving about 10 miles from where we currently live, do contracting work in the area, and hence, need to keep my eyes and ears open for new contracts every now and then. Prefer Reston, Herndon, Chantilly, etc, but do work in McLean at times, and am okay with that. Where it gets tricky is - Falls Church, Alexandria and DC. Have consciously avoided that thus far, and hope to continue to be able to do it, but it gets tricky at times.

A 60 minute test commute seemed *okay* but it was done at off peak hours, and only once or twice. Doing it every single day at peak traffic might be a different beast altogether.

I was wondering if a longer commute affected one's mood and relationships, and from the responses thus far, it sure does appear that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia