Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,324,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Thanks for the offer TE, but while I don't think I would do a very good job writing an article
No problem, then I will likely write it up.

As far as the value of these systems, you couldn't be more wrong johnsonkk, they are far more sustainable than bus or rail systems. The key with it is that it can be implemented in a region which already has density to support it. Additionally, unlike buses, LRT actually spurs new development and retail which has empirically proven to increase tax revenue from these often congested corridors. Lastly, the commute time benefit might not specifically seem like a whole lot when one of these goes in, but by taking 5000 to 10000 people off a the roads you make the corridors as a whole work better as well so that the roads also see this improvement in traffic flow. In most cases a road can go from perfect flow conditions to a failing level of service with simply 5-10% more demand, so removing 15% of the demand on Columbia Pike would help a ton.

Also, unlike heavy rail, more people are likely to use LRT on interday trips (huge benefit to the sustainability of the LRT) as these systems typically wrong along the same corridors which have residential and existing retail/grocery uses such as Columbia Pike, Route 29, Route 7 as these corridors were the original growth centers of the region.

Lastly I'd like to point out that the state of virginia uses all sorts of funding for far less beneficial projects, such as the widening of Route 7 from Ashburn to Tysons which is going to be happening soon for a cost of 500 million up front and an annual maintenance cost increase of 6 million a year. I'd like to point out that people from Ashburn to Tysons can use Dulles Toll Road already as well as the Dulles Rail (if they ever got their heads out of the sand and approved it), so this basically is a concession by Richmond to Ashburn for staying loyal to the Rest of Virginia instead of joining up with Fairfax and Arlington in mass transit and devolution of the road maintenance.

Oh and by the way, this half a billion dollar waste of money is being blamed on "Tysons Corner", and not the people who will actually use it, Ashburners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,692,103 times
I don't think streetcars will work unless they are protected from vehicular traffic.

I remember riding the old DC Transit streetcars and even back then cars would occasionally tangle with the streetcars. And all people had to do in their cars back then was try to tune the AM radio....which usually had quit by the time the car was 6 months old.

Nowadays, with all the phones, iToys, GPS, and other crap....a streetcar wouldn't make it a block!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,894,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I don't think streetcars will work unless they are protected from vehicular traffic.

I remember riding the old DC Transit streetcars and even back then cars would occasionally tangle with the streetcars. And all people had to do in their cars back then was try to tune the AM radio....which usually had quit by the time the car was 6 months old.

Nowadays, with all the phones, iToys, GPS, and other crap....a streetcar wouldn't make it a block!
They rarely have issues in Philly or Toronto both there networks serve over 180,000 daily....i'm sure NOVA would be fine.

SEPTA Action Series: 40th Street Portal Trolley Jollies - YouTube

SEPTA Action Series: Holly Jolly Trolleys at 49th-Woodland [HD] - YouTube

Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,324,633 times
Streetcars work best in corridors, ie one long street system. It reduces confusion by showing everyone exactly where its coming, and combining the streetcar with typical traffic flow anyways. Essentially the LRT dictates when the light turns, so anyone trying to cross would have a red light. Could there be a potential incident? Sure... but a car hitting one of these things going 5 mph at an intersection wouldn't do much long term, and be less of a nuisance than a car incident.

Definitely not a reason to say that they aren't feasible. LRT is how we solve the last mile dilemma of mass transit, people are coming around to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia