Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:37 AM

8 posts, read 24,444 times

Advertisements

I know this is a bandaid on a stab wound but......

we have boats in Edgewater and I sometimes have to do the opposite trip as I live at rt7 and ffx cty pkwy

the best rt is beltway to georgetown pike to 7 to dranesville

I've done the trip to annapolis in 70 minutes at 6 am on a tuesday

it's not great but it helps a little

my wife works in tysons and it takes her 45 minutes on the average to go 7 or 8 miles on rt 7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 08:26 AM

61 posts, read 122,554 times
I drive from Northern Calvert County to Leesburg Virginia every day and the drive is 73 Miles. It's doable but it's not nice. It takes me 1 hour and 10-15 minutes to get there (by 6:30am) and I'm averaging about 1 hour and 30 minutes getting home.

So far Fridays have been the worse when it comes to getting home. The city's backed up and the Beltway is jammed. WTOP will be your best friend if you start this commute.

I too took a very lucrative position and though I make incredible money, I wonder sometimes if I made the right decision. Quality of life is important, and sitting in a car driving for 2.5-3.5 hours a day SUCKS !!

Good Luck !!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 AM

555 posts, read 2,704,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
Thanks - excellent way to help me visualize my question! I'm still interested in hearing from others, but the responses (I posted on the MD board as well) are telling me what I guess I already knew! I wish I could work it out to be total telecommuting!
I'm taking a positiion 74 miles one way from my home for about 15 grand more than what i make now. I only have to work half the month so it's not bad. But to answer your question- If it's better pay and a you don't have to make the commute 5 days a week, i'd do it. You can just think of the commute as part of the job.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 AM

555 posts, read 2,704,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
I posted this on the MD board as well, and got similar responses.

BUT... I did a test drive this morning (Friday) and it took 1.5 hours. Parts were pretty ugly, but overall I didn't think it was that bad. I assume traffic might be lighter on Friday? Of course, that was doing it one time, not 3 days or 2 days a week. Thanks for all the inputs - interesting, the NOVA posters are somewhat less negative than the MD posters!
I'm in the same boat as you. The funny thing about a lot ofnay sayers is most people in the NOVA area only commute from about 30 miles away. BUT, they sit in standstill traffic for an hour or more five days a week. If they only make you work 3 or less days a week i would (and i am going to as well) do it. Try to flex your hours if you can. I'm going to be working from 6pm to 6am so it won't be that bad for me. If you don't have a nightshift available try being there at 6am or try to see if they will let you go in at 11am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia