Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,579 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I often have family flying up to National Airport 3x times per year. Wanted to know what my transportation options would be from Pentagon City Mall to Reagan National and back. I know that we can take the metro and that it is just 2 stops but wanted to see what else was available. Parking at Pentagon City Mall is free for me because of what I do for a living. I know that walking might be possible, but it seems a bit far. Cost for 2 people during rush hour between these 2 points seems to approach the cost of just parking at the airport on those days. Also have the option of commuting to Richmond to get family. Weighing in all options since I am exactly half way between DCA and Richmond. Richmond is my preference, but DCA lets me keep about 60 bucks in my pocket.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 10:21 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Metro is the fastest/easiest option...by far. The whole trip takes less than 5 minutes and goes right to the mall without even venturing outside. How much easier and faster could you possibly get?

Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 AM

What about a bus or shuttle? Looks like it is about $10 to use the metro round trip for 2 people and $12 to park at National....sounds like parking there might still be more practical and faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Metro is the fastest/easiest option...by far. The whole trip takes less than 5 minutes and goes right to the mall without even venturing outside. How much easier and faster could you possibly get?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:47 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
What about a bus or shuttle? Looks like it is about $10 to use the metro round trip for 2 people and $12 to park at National....sounds like parking there might still be more practical and faster.
Actually it would be just under $8 round trip for two on the Metro even at rush hour.

There's always SuperShuttle...but I don't think that would be less than Metrorail.

If cost is a concern, why not just drive to the cell phone waiting area and pick your party up when they arrive?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:46 PM

Are you sure? Went over to WMATAs website which was running slow when I was on it...coulda swore that the minimum fare is now 2.15 (couldn't really move around it was running so slowly).

Would be nice to go to the cell phone area, unfortunately the party is an unaccompanied minor.

Cost is not so much a concern but being that they have probably flown in about 50 times by now, I am trying to optomize it like any other bill. Just having fun with the whole thing coming up with new ideas.

Thanks so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Actually it would be just under $8 round trip for two on the Metro even at rush hour.

There's always SuperShuttle...but I don't think that would be less than Metrorail.

If cost is a concern, why not just drive to the cell phone waiting area and pick your party up when they arrive?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Are you sure? Went over to WMATAs website which was running slow when I was on it...coulda swore that the minimum fare is now 2.15 (couldn't really move around it was running so slowly).

Would be nice to go to the cell phone area, unfortunately the party is an unaccompanied minor.

Cost is not so much a concern but being that they have probably flown in about 50 times by now, I am trying to optomize it like any other bill. Just having fun with the whole thing coming up with new ideas.

Thanks so far.
but you won't need a round trip for two people - you go to the airport, you and the minor return. hence three times the minimum fare. If there's too much luggage to handle on the metro, you could just pay to park - or you could metro one way, and take a cab back with the minor and luggage - I am not sure what the cab fare from the airport to Pentagon city would be - Im guessing enough so it would be cheaper to park.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:18 PM

Heh, you are right on the math. It is Sunday so I am excused I hope.

Not too much luggage....he thinks subways are cool so that is a win. Good thoughts, thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
but you won't need a round trip for two people - you go to the airport, you and the minor return. hence three times the minimum fare. If there's too much luggage to handle on the metro, you could just pay to park - or you could metro one way, and take a cab back with the minor and luggage - I am not sure what the cab fare from the airport to Pentagon city would be - Im guessing enough so it would be cheaper to park.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 AM

687 posts, read 1,377,448 times
Why not just park at National Airport? If you are just picking up/dropping off you will only have to pay for one hour. Way less hassle then parking at Pentagon city and taking the metro two stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia